Thailand's selfish super-rich

webfact

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Land Tax would be a better way to tackle the problem.

Land tax is an essential need in Thailand, but first you have to cure the corruption and skim problem.

• Like 1

They made it, they can do what they want with it. Don't see anything wrong at all with providing financial safety for x amount of generations to come, only wish I had a huge win-fall coming my way!

Say that to Ferrari drivers, aged 26, who don't care about much, as they inherited everything. wink.png

And the other hundreds of thousands who inherit money and don't run people over? Stupid is what stupid does, regardless of cash (although it can make it easier to get away with it here).

I personally know 3 people who have run over and killed people here and got away with it by paying under 1 million baht. None are from rich families and none have inherited anything as far as I know.

Edited by JeremyBowskill
  • Like 2

It sure would be interesting to see how much wealthy Thais and even others give back in donations to their society...

My guess is it would be hard to gather b/c there is no reporting method in place. Since so few pay taxes really can't use income tax reports to disclose...

CB

This is partly a religion issue, and the difference between East and West resulting from this. Philanthropy as we know it began during the heyday of Purgatory Theology, when rich people left their whole life savings to Churches, Poorhouses, Hospitals and food-for-poor schemes. The rich person was paying to have his time in Purgatory cut, a small amount of money would get you 40 days reduced, some very rich people paid for 40,000 years less time in Purgatory. If you believe in Purgatory or not, the social consequences of this were very positive, people tried to live good lives and if they didn't manage that they would upon death leave a fortune to the poor and hungry in society. This was because in Purgatory (a sort of Hell_Lite) you weren't spending eternity in the Cellar as it were, but you were still suffering for a good long time. Greedy selfish money-men were forced to drink molten gold in Purgatory, liars had their tongues nailed to the floor, murderers were hewn upon the block. These are real incentives to live a good honourable life, or at the very least to give all your money to poor people when you died.

What about the Shin clan who absolutely love their country and country men and women, isn't their aim to do good for all ( of their own family ) ?

Wow, that didn't take long, 2 post to turn this into a "Shin clan" bashing, I wonder do you know that any of the "Shin clan" do or do not donate to any cause? and for that matter do you? As for myself I do such as world wild life fund, world vision, green peace,

I take it you are going to put me right on how much the Shins donate to charity and I don't mean the pure media events and publicity handouts but quietly in the background as is often the mark of a true philanthropist.

What about the Shin clan who absolutely love their country and country men and women, isn't their aim to do good for all ( of their own family ) ?

The Shin clan do indeed love Thailand so much for what she can do for them but not for what they can do for her.

shouldn't this read

Shins love Thailand for what it can do for the Shin's bank accounts and not what the Shins could do for Thailand.

which is for all Shins to leave Thailand and stop thieving it's money

• Like 2

Wow, that didn't take long, 2 post to turn this into a "Shin clan" bashing, I wonder do you know that any of the "Shin clan" do or do not donate to any cause? and for that matter do you? As for myself I do such as world wild life fund, world vision, green peace,

And of the 3 you donate to, how much of what you donate actually goes to the "cause" and how much is used to pay "admin" costs for some "activist" on a USD 250k/yr "salary"

The expose of the ' administration ' costs of many charities is a massive turnoff for donors.

• Like 2

There is a Thai word for philanthropy, but to my wifes' knowledge, she can not remember any rich family ever donating or leaving large sums to a cause.

Similarly the Chinese, they also never donate.

Greed and more greed......and there's never enough!

Wow. I do love your ignorance! How you can in one sentence generalize the whole Chinese population. To open your biased eyes, see the link to Forbes 2013 Chinese philanthropists.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/russellflannery/2013/04/23/2013-forbes-china-philanthropy-list-full-list/

I couldn't get that link to work, but did find this article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/china/2010/10/04/turning-down-gates-buffett-philanthropy-in-china-requires-for-profit-social-enterprises/

A few days ago we witnessed two momentous occasions: 1) Bill Gatesand Warren Buffett took their much anticipated trip to China to encourage philanthropy among China’s super rich, and 2) Many of these Chinese super rich turned down their invitations to meet with Gates & Buffett, because of their unwillingness to give away part of their wealth and participate in philanthropy.
  • Like 1