Car Insurance---Out of country for extended periods

My annual car insurance bill is coming due next month, and I have a situation I hope some here might be familiar with:

In 3 months my wife and I will be moving abroad for a year and the car will be stored at her mother's house. My MIL doesn't drive but she has agreed to turn over the motor once a month and move the car forward or backwards slightly for the benefit of the tires.

Our approximate schedule would be as follows:

For this year's insurance we would be in Thailand for the first three months and out for the remaining nine.

For next year's policy we would be out of the country for the first two months, in for the next two and out again for the remaining 8.

The car is only 2 years old and I would normally have 1st class insurance for at least two more years. But due to the fact that we'll be out of the country for such a long period, I'm wondering if there isn't a better option.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks. smile.png

Edited by up-country_sinclair

Presumably you want cover for the vehicle even though you are not here for the majority of the year and, as it is only 2 years old, why not keep the 1st Class ?

Apart from being able to jump in and drive on your return without worry, should there an unforeseen accident while you were away, then the car would be insured – unless your MIL decided to take it for a drive ……….

Note : you can keep the 1st Class longer than just another 2 years.

Presumably you want cover for the vehicle even though you are not here for the majority of the year and, as it is only 2 years old, why not keep the 1st Class ?

Yes, of course I want coverage for the vehicle, but over a two-year period I will only be in the country for 5 months--which is approximately 20% of the time.

I guess in a perfect world what I was hoping was that I could have first class insurance for when I'm in the country and actually driving the car, and then just coverage for theft when I'm out of the country and it's sitting in the garage. Probably just a pipe dream, but I started this thread in the hopes that someone else had experienced a similar situation.