What to do about the "owned" soi dogs that are becoming aggressive?

FarangFB

Few days later and the dog was back.

7 Rabies shot for me at hospital.

There is actually an up side to what you describe. Since necropsies are not common here in suspected rabid animals, the only thing you can do is observe the animal in the days following the attack. If the dog is still alive 11-14 days after the attack then it was not rabid and you can stop the vaccinations IF you wish.

If the dog is not located or is euthanized then you would not have the advantage of observation.

I have heard its Buddhism that creates this compassion in the Thai people for dogs; however, I think it might be more of a cultural thing. Another Thai practice is to not get dogs spayed or neutered--again, I don't know how that relates to Buddhism--but the "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" philosophy seems to be common practice here.

I always enjoy the photos of the King because he almost always has pet dogs. In fact, there was a statue made and dedicated to one of them but I forget its name.

This is why you will win favor with the people in your neighborhood if they see you treat dogs in a positive manner.

Cheers

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir, I've been there, and I've got the T-shirt to prove it!

My advice! Move to a different neighborhood, where there are 70% Thai "ethnic" Chinese. I've seen this trend before. Your neighborhood is indigenous Thai, and slowly becoming a Thai "ghetto" community.

Mark these words, the time will come, when you'll not get a decent nights sleep, due to the incessant barking of those multiple dog families. Heed not this advice, and guaranteed, you will come to regret it.

Cheers, wai2.gif

Few days later and the dog was back.

7 Rabies shot for me at hospital.

There is actually an up side to what you describe. Since necropsies are not common here in suspected rabid animals, the only thing you can do is observe the animal in the days following the attack. If the dog is still alive 11-14 days after the attack then it was not rabid and you can stop the vaccinations IF you wish.

If the dog is not located or is euthanized then you would not have the advantage of observation.

I have heard its Buddhism that creates this compassion in the Thai people for dogs; however, I think it might be more of a cultural thing. Another Thai practice is to not get dogs spayed or neutered--again, I don't know how that relates to Buddhism--but the "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" philosophy seems to be common practice here.

I always enjoy the photos of the King because he almost always has pet dogs. In fact, there was a statue made and dedicated to one of them but I forget its name.

This is why you will win favor with the people in your neighborhood if they see you treat dogs in a positive manner.

Cheers

The REALITY of it all,.....is that Thai people will feed the dogs, but ONLY as a means of generating added night-time security around their homes. Those same people will never actually make a public ownership claim of the dog(s), despite the collar they put around it's neck. This is a "slick" ploy, in the event the dog attacks, or bites someone (for whatever reason), then the collar "owner" will readily deny any accountability, culpability or even responsibility, whatsoever, for the dogs behavior.

The flip-side of that coin comes when someone accidentally kills the dog, by car or motorbike, then the "owner(s)" will hastily claim ownership, call to police, file a report, then claim 10-20,000 baht for "their lost measure of security, or household family-pet" damages against the driver of the vehicle (if the driver is naive enough to stop) or (if someone in the neighbor manages to get the license-plate number of the vehicle involved).

Thais pull those kinds of stunts with each other, all the time. If you're a foreigner, be prepared to dig deep into your pockets, for a dog that was never bathed, never wore a flea-collar, nor ever saw the inside of a Veterinary Clinic.

Welcome to Thailand. The Buddhist Land of Smiles ~ whistling.gif

• Like 2

There should be more Thais who catch this dogs and sell it to Vietnam. Whats wrong with it? Everyone happy. This dogs are a dangerous plague. And some members here suggest to feed them. crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

The dogs are sold in Vietnam because the Vietnamese still "eat" dogs. 45-years ago, Thais were also eating dogs, until it became a serious crime by law, in the early 1970s.

Anyone who says that Thailand cares about dogs in anything other that a superfluous manner is an ignoramus at the very least. Early 2000 there was a royal degree telling people to do something about the seemingly endless number of dogs that were suffering and mostly dying of mange which is endemic. When a program was started to put these dogs out of their misery a huge public outcry ensued because it was considered against the tenets of Buddhism resulting it being stopped. Thailand has had its say and its 'say' is rather a dog die of disease and/or starvation. Thailand has made its bed and should damn well lay in it.

I live in a housearea in Chiangmai and there are some soidogs but also dogs with owners who let them stroll around the streets. Some of them quite aggressive and walking back home at night can be an adventure. I did find a solution wich works for me, even if the dogs don't go away. I bought on Ebay something called Dazer 2, its an electronic device who send out ultrasound on a frequency the dogs can not stand. I let them come up to me (2-5 meters) point my device at them and push the button for 2 sec. the run away quickly. At least I have some protection and I realize that I can not get rid of the dogs. Price for the Dog-deterrent incl. postage from US was 36 USD each. Good luck.

I live in a housearea in Chiangmai and there are some soidogs but also dogs with owners who let them stroll around the streets. Some of them quite aggressive and walking back home at night can be an adventure. I did find a solution wich works for me, even if the dogs don't go away. I bought on Ebay something called Dazer 2, its an electronic device who send out ultrasound on a frequency the dogs can not stand. I let them come up to me (2-5 meters) point my device at them and push the button for 2 sec. the run away quickly. At least I have some protection and I realize that I can not get rid of the dogs. Price for the Dog-deterrent incl. postage from US was 36 USD each. Good luck.

Sonny, I have seen them advertised but assumed they were a gimmick. Its great to hear your positive feedback. Thanks

• Like 1

Anyone who says that Thailand cares about dogs in anything other that a superfluous manner is an ignoramus at the very least. Early 2000 there was a royal degree telling people to do something about the seemingly endless number of dogs that were suffering and mostly dying of mange which is endemic. When a program was started to put these dogs out of their misery a huge public outcry ensued because it was considered against the tenets of Buddhism resulting it being stopped. Thailand has had its say and its 'say' is rather a dog die of disease and/or starvation. Thailand has made its bed and should damn well lay in it.

OK, so you have some basic idea of atleast one of the Five Precepts of Buddhism.

Your post emanates such hostility towards Buddism based principles yet you choose to live in a Buddhist country.

That makes about as much sense as someone moving to America and then criticizing the very Christian values that made it such an attractive destination to live.

OK, so you have some basic idea of atleast one of the Five Precepts of Buddhism.

Your post emanates such hostility towards Buddism based principles yet you choose to live in a Buddhist country.

That makes about as much sense as someone moving to America and then criticizing the very Christian values that made it such an attractive destination to live.

Sorry, post was not intended to be hostile toward Buddhism. Correct me if I am wrong but does it not say that animals should be taken care of? I'm all for that! What I don't understand is why there was such an outcry against it. Many of the dogs around here are on their last legs due to sickness where they quickly move down the pecking order. They get weaker and weaker until they find a place hide and slowly starve to death though likely dehydrate to death. Rather than put them out of their misery, Thailand has decided that the dogs should suffer a long and painful death. I don't see how this is in any way a Buddhist principle but perhaps I am wrong about that.

There once was a very friendly street dog living outside our condo that a had puppies. One puppy after about a year became very aggressive barking, growling at everyone except the guards. One time I came home and the pup started to growl and snap at me and the Mommy dog actually growled and snapped at the pup like it was protecting me. Anyway I complained to the building manager and after about a month, this dog aggressive disappeared.

Lucky you, whistling.gif

OP, you seem confused what you want.

If you wish no harm to come to them, and they are behaving in an anti-social manner, only one solution.

Round them up, and drive them some distance, maybe in the back of a pick-up. Leave them far enough away so they will not return.

What other solution can there be ?

That leaves some very interesting questions. How far will you have to take a soi dog for it to be lost? As these dogs spend their whole lives in a very small area it may not need to be far. What happens when they get lost? Are they killed by other dogs or perhaps starve, or do they find somewhere to settle.

Perhaps they have homing instincts and can find their way back from hundreds of miles away.

Edited by tropo

Feed them treats. No dry dog food, but yummy food treats from the pet store. They're very cheap and the dogs will love you.

If they're females (probably not; it's the males that tend to be more aggressive and protective of their area), get them spayed. I've paid for the spaying of four soi dogs around my house. No more puppies and the dogs are now friendly and healthy. Good Karma too.

Hope you pick up the poop created from all the dog treats.

Sent from my ZTE V765M using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

OP, you seem confused what you want.

If you wish no harm to come to them, and they are behaving in an anti-social manner, only one solution.

Round them up, and drive them some distance, maybe in the back of a pick-up. Leave them far enough away so they will not return.

What other solution can there be ?

Pattaya28, brilliant idea.

Can you please come to my house and round up the 50 dogs roaming around?

You need a big truck but I'll pay your expenses.

555 biggrin.png Costa why don't you get friendly with your soi dogs and make a trip to the pet shop for some (50 dog supply) of those irresistible dog treats.

And don't forget to pick up the poop caused by all those tasty treats.

Personally,

The easiest solution is to spend10 Bt for a couple weeks on some cheap hotdogs and toss them to the two dogs--after about two weeks they will quit barking and you will make friends of the locals who caretake these dogs.

And please pick up the poop from your feeding dogs

Feed them treats. No dry dog food, but yummy food treats from the pet store. They're very cheap and the dogs will love you.

If they're females (probably not; it's the males that tend to be more aggressive and protective of their area), get them spayed. I've paid for the spaying of four soi dogs around my house. No more puppies and the dogs are now friendly and healthy. Good Karma too.

Feed them the same smelly street vendor food that Thais love--that is what these dogs have veen raised on.

Also, alot of recommendations here to get the females spade. Although I think this is a great idea, its obviously not a grand idea to attempt capturing a Soi dog ever--even when they get acclimated to you. Soi dogs are not accustomed to being carried or picked up like a pet dog and it will respond deffensively--with a bite.

Cheers

If you feed them don't forget to go back and pick up the poop.

• 4 months later...

You can say that again !

Please pick up any dog poop resulting from your feeding of stray dogs.

Not directed at you ZigZagMan but to everyone else as you asked me to say it again.

Toddler could lose sight in one eye from infection in dog’s poo

http://metro.co.uk/2010/08/18/toddler-could-lose-sight-in-one-eye-from-infection-in-dogs-poo-483487/

Some still not get it .

In Thailand you have to feed your lady ,her family ,and the ones behaving like family ,

-deleted-

And of course you feed the soi dogs,or they will bite you .

I also feed the chickens of my wife (50 pcs) though i 'm not allowed to eat their eggs nor

eat their meat .(the eggs are for small chickens ,dummy ! And budha doesn't allow me to

kill .

Is it clear now ?

Edited by petercool
removed defamatory comment