What to do about the "owned" soi dogs that are becoming aggressive?

FarangFB

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP, you seem confused what you want.

If you wish no harm to come to them, and they are behaving in an anti-social manner, only one solution.

Round them up, and drive them some distance, maybe in the back of a pick-up. Leave them far enough away so they will not return.

What other solution can there be ?

Pattaya28, brilliant idea.

Can you please come to my house and round up the 50 dogs roaming around?

You need a big truck but I'll pay your expenses.

No problem at all if that's what you want.

Are you bothered if any harm comes to them ? If not, then I have a cheaper and quicker option.

Your call.

Dog irradication is really quite simple.

Let us know your option. Always good to have several options.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RABIES

Everyone,

Just a quick reminder that if you even come in contact with the salive of a Thai dog not personally known to you to have had a Rabies vaccine--you need to go get shots.

Rabies kills 100% of the time.

By the time the virus manifests itself and you display symptoms then you are already dead in a week.

If you are bitten then an aggressive scrub with soap and water needs to occur quickly followed up by application of an iodine solution like Betadine. Then you need to get yourself to a clinic for shots. At a minimum you need the 5-part vaccine and Tetnus booster. .. if the skin is broken (i.e. blood) then you absolutely need to get the ERIG or HRIG immuno-globulin injection at site of wound and majority in buttocks. It is several mL of medication.

You need to do this within 72 hours at most but the sooner the better.

If you are in BKK then the very best treatment you can receive is at the Red Cross Rabies Unit in the building next to the Snake Farm...every cabbie knows the Snake Farm. If the bite is severe enough to require stitches then get treated at a local ER first and then do all your shots at the Red Cross Unit.

The Red Cross Rabies Unit is also the cheapest place for the medication and the staff is excellent and really knows how to give a shot without it being painful.

Price for initial treatment at Bumrungrad the cost will be atleast 60,000 Bt for Tetnus, 1sr vaccine and immuno-globulin.

At local hospital ER such as Police Hospital or Chulalongkorn Hospital the cost will be about 6,000 Bt for the same treatment.

The cost for initial treatment at RC Rabies Clinic is even less expensive.

Note: Chulalongkorn Hospital is affiliated with the Red Cross Rabies Unit and is located 0.5 km distance from the Snake Farm and is directly across from Lumpini Park.

Also note: if you live here or travel extensively or are frequently exposed to stray and wild animals then you should consider the pre-emptive vaccination which consists of 3 shots over a one month duration. Then if you get exposed to rabies at any point in the future, you will not require the expensive immuno-globulin.

Hope this helps someone ;-)

Cheers

• Like 2

I really can not believe that some people here suggest to feed the dogs. This makes the problem even worse. Same as you would say; In my neighbourhood are some aggressive drug dealers. Well, buy some drugs from them and become friends.

blink.png

Edited by alocacoc
  • Like 1

Feed them treats. No dry dog food, but yummy food treats from the pet store. They're very cheap and the dogs will love you.

If they're females (probably not; it's the males that tend to be more aggressive and protective of their area), get them spayed. I've paid for the spaying of four soi dogs around my house. No more puppies and the dogs are now friendly and healthy. Good Karma too.

Feed them the same smelly street vendor food that Thais love--that is what these dogs have veen raised on.

Also, alot of recommendations here to get the females spade. Although I think this is a great idea, its obviously not a grand idea to attempt capturing a Soi dog ever--even when they get acclimated to you. Soi dogs are not accustomed to being carried or picked up like a pet dog and it will respond deffensively--with a bite.

Cheers

I really can not believe that some people here suggest to feed the dogs. This makes the problem even worse. Same as you would say; In my neighbourhood are some aggressive drug dealers. Well, buy some drugs from them and become friends.

blink.png

Actually, that s a very poor analogy and you haven't actually provided any positive solution to the OP.

And based upon several posters with personal experience on the subject, its quite obvious that feeding them "does not make the problem worse" as you suggest.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

blink.png

Actually, that s a very poor analogy and you haven't actually provided any positive solution to the OP.

But i have in a previous post. The OP should call City Hall. They take care of the problem.

I love dogs and I never had a problem with them in all my life...until I move to Thailand and faced some soi dogs...in close calls. I didn't know that I can get preventive rabies vaccination, (2 shots) until I was slightly bitten on a street during day time, traveling outside my town. I had to take all the vaccination program (8 shots) at a local hospital paying 20000THB. I also found out that Thailand is the #2 world's country with rabies problems. India # 1.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts

I would try the food option first. And try different foods, if one does not work. If all efforts fail there, then I would consider pepper spray. One bad experience with getting sprayed and they should remember that. It may take several times spraying as well, and possibly having to spray multiple different dogs to change the whole pack behavior. I would not resort to trying to kill them, as I find that rather distasteful, unless you are really in a life or death situation. jmho.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OP, you seem confused what you want.

If you wish no harm to come to them, and they are behaving in an anti-social manner, only one solution.

Round them up, and drive them some distance, maybe in the back of a pick-up. Leave them far enough away so they will not return.

What other solution can there be ?

Pattaya28, brilliant idea.

Can you please come to my house and round up the 50 dogs roaming around?

You need a big truck but I'll pay your expenses.

No problem at all if that's what you want.

Are you bothered if any harm comes to them ? If not, then I have a cheaper and quicker option.

Your call.

Dog irradication is really quite simple.

Noooooooo killings, Pattaya28.

When you getting older, you have to start thinking of your bad record on earth, when you face the Almighty.

The Almighty? Is that the guy eating popcorn and getting drunk while watching the world beneath him turn to shit? I'd rather take the soi dogs.

what i don't get is why they become so aggresive after dark.

Exactly. These dogs on my soi are actually very calm during the daytime, never seen them barking at anything.

But if I go home after 10pm or so they all get alert and might start barking from afar. And even after they see that it is me, they continue! That's the part I don't get.

Edited by FarangFB
  • Like 1

Feed them and get to know them. These dogs will keep undesirables out of your Soi.

Edit: Don't look at the dogs when walking past them. You have the eyes of a predator and this is what makes the dogs nervous. This is why they tend to bark at some people.

+1...Feed them and be their friend...Good point about never look a strange dog in the eye. It is a sign of aggression in many animals.

paper spray them

The key is "conditioning" an animal for a desired behavior or against an undesired behavior.

Most animal behaviorists would suggest first attempting a positive reinforcement like the food option.

This is particularly true if you share the same territory every day.

Now, in the situation mentioned above where six dogs (or even if it had been one dog) approach aggressively and are unknown to you, then pepper spray is an excellent defense. Just remember "a little goes a long way" and you don't even have to hit the dog with it, just the cloud of it will be enough to cause them to stop and run. And remember to watch wind direction ;-)

The problem with using pepper spray on a local dog is it will forever associate you as a hostile presence and it might just run up behind you sometime when you are walking home and surprise you with a bite...as it would any hostile presence when conditions are in the dogs favor.

Still, an excellent recommendation that is far better than getting bitten--far better for you AND for the dog, which would risk an uncertain fate should it be reported as aggressive.

Cheers

what i don't get is why they become so aggresive after dark.

Exactly. These dogs on my soi are actually very calm during the daytime, never seen them barking at anything.

But if I go home after 10pm or so they all get alert and might start barking from afar. And even after they see that it is me, they continue! That's the part I don't get.

Dogs night vision is not great so they become frightened more quickly, plus they have often just woken up from a sleep. An earlier poster made the suggestion when feeding the dog to make some sound that the dog then identifies with you. This is really beneficial after dark because the dogs hearing is much better than its night vision. Whistling is a great method because, if you have noticed, Thais do not whistle to dogs like Western cultures do so your whistle will uniquely identify you.

Most times when I walk home in the late night hours, I will let out the occasional whistle as I approach the area the dog is known to be rather than waiting for it to become startled first and start barking.

BTW, a whistle sound should not be like you are trying to hail a cab in NYC ;-)

Feed them and get to know them. These dogs will keep undesirables out of your Soi.

Edit: Don't look at the dogs when walking past them. You have the eyes of a predator and this is what makes the dogs nervous. This is why they tend to bark at some people.

These dogs are the undesirables

Feed them Ratsak, I hate those &lt;deleted&gt;**** animals. If Thais really cared about them they would institute laws to protect them like not letting them roam streets with owners responsible for this and fined. I was bitten by one once and had to have rabies shot of course the Thai owner could not give a rats but if I did something to them they would ask for 20k for ruining their day.

I am amazed at how people are conditioned to their environment and have to put up with un hygienic conditions

People in this forum are suggesting many solutions like get to know them , feed them , take them for a walk etc .

In their previous country they wouldn't put up with wild dogs roaming the streets and would demand some Govt. Dept. to get rid of them .

And it would be done .

Feed them Ratsak, I hate those <deleted>**** animals. If Thais really cared about them they would institute laws to protect them like not letting them roam streets with owners responsible for this and fined. I was bitten by one once and had to have rabies shot of course the Thai owner could not give a rats but if I did something to them they would ask for 20k for ruining their day.

Having a little trouble adjusting to your new home, eh?

I am amazed at how people are conditioned to their environment and have to put up with un hygienic conditions

People in this forum are suggesting many solutions like get to know them , feed them , take them for a walk etc .

In their previous country they wouldn't put up with wild dogs roaming the streets and would demand some Govt. Dept. to get rid of them .

And it would be done .

I understand what you are saying but these aren't exactly "wild dogs" that the OP or most respondents are discussing...but as you point out--adaptility to ones environment is a key to success. If that is not ones strong suit then they wind up cussing and swearing and wanting to poison everything with Ratsak ;-)

Talking from experience, complaint to City Hall might be a short term solution.

I was the third person bitten by the same street dog. After many complaints to city hall, they finally got a dog catcher team out.

They sedated the dog, and brought it to a kennel outside town. Before they left, they told me that any person can get any dog back from the kennel in a few days. Thais don't euthanize street dogs, even the dog is known for bite many people!

Few days later and the dog was back.

7 Rabies shot for me at hospital.