Dr Narong explains why he chose not to attend CAPO meeting

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Dr Narong explains why he chose not to attend CAPO meeting

30231701-01_big.gif
Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Narong Sahametapat, left, accepts the gold whistle from PDRC leader Suthep Thaugsuban.

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Narong Sahametapat speaks to The Nation's Pongphon Sarnsamak about why he decided not to attend the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) meeting with top officials from each ministry.

Q : Why did you choose not to attend the meeting yesterday?

Actually, I was not happy with the letter CAPO sent to the Justice Ministry's permanent secretary Kittipong Kittayarak attacking him for welcoming the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) leader Suthep Thaugsuban and his supporters who visited the ministry on April 8.

I don't think it was appropriate for CAPO to attack Kittipong, who is the top official of the ministry, because all high-level officials have their own reasons for what they should and should not do.

Plus, each top official has to maintain their dignity as the leader of the ministry.

I believe it is a good thing to listen to the PDRC's recommendations on how to resolve the country's crisis. We should listen to the opinions of all sides who have contributed to the Constitution.

Q : However, Kittipong later decided to join the meeting. What do you think about this?

I have no comment, because each top official has a reason for every decision.

Q : Do you think your stance will affect your administration and management at the ministry?

I think the so-called "Public Health Community" has supported my decision and we have been talking about this issue for a while.

Q : How about other health officials who might not agree with you?

The Public Health Community is a large group in the ministry, and I have explained my stance to other health officials as I have explained to you.

Q : When Suthep and his supporters visited the ministry on April 11, you embraced him - an act that was criticised by many people. Why did you hug him?

I welcomed him as I would welcome a guest, and waited for him at the stairs of the second floor of the permanent secretary's building.

Q : By accepting a gold whistle from Suthep, would you be violating the Anti-Corruption Act?

I will report to the National Anti-Corruption Commission about every item I received from Suthep, but that day he clearly said the gold whistle was for all officials at the ministry.

Q : You gave Suthep a blueprint for reforms in the country's public-health system. What are the plans under this blueprint?

In fact, we started writing the blueprint two years ago and are planning to build a mechanism to maintain checks and balances of power between officials and politicians who oversee the ministry, especially at the provincial level. We will also look for ways to prevent corruption.

Q : Many people have criticised you for your stance, saying you have ambitions for a ministerial position. What is your reaction?

The permanent secretary's position is the highest in the ministry. It is an honour for me.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-18

he is a civil servant - and has not acted with that dignity as the other permanent secretaries did by attending an official meeting called by his employers

and...? he get's a whistle!

a disgrace wrapped up in an arrogance of mistaken virtue

do the employers show dignity?

Maybe he maintained his digity by not joining?

• Like 2

I feel cheated, never got welcomed at the ministry's lobby as a guest, surely not by the permanent secretary. But then again, I'm not someone with a court date and a history of corruption, and anyway, as a high level official, Dr. Narong would have his own reasons. Unless this is a clumsy translation from Thai, how does "all all high-level officials have their own reasons for what they should and should not do." construe an explanation?

And what does having to "maintain dignity as the leader of the ministry." got to do with it? Having a public political meeting, as an acting senior civil servant, on ministry premises, and during work hours is plain wrong, and does nothing for maintaining dignity.

• Like 2

Judging from his curt and short answers, he seem irritated with people asking him to explain anything. Not a good trait for a top civil servant.

The only people that are irritated when sombody ask questions are sitting in this corrupt government.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

He can take that gold whistle and..........................

Honest answers, seems pretty sound to me, Just because Suthep was involved that's all. The guy comes over a million time better than near all the top cabinet lot.

Pity we do not have a thousand like this at least he is doing his bit about corruption, but the pro gov posters do not like that it's anti-democratic.

He can take that gold whistle and..........................

Blow it in the faces of the corrupt PTP cronies

Which im sure would be seen as being very productive and becoming of a top civil servant rolleyes.gif

May be so but better than R slicking your way in life as most have been in the PTP without contributing anything in the 3 years of PAY they received.

Judging from his curt and short answers, he seem irritated with people asking him to explain anything. Not a good trait for a top civil servant.

The only people that are irritated when sombody ask questions are sitting in this corrupt government.

Just few months ago thousands of rural doctors and medical workers called for his dismissal. Obviously he is corrupted to get these protestors up in arms.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He answered the question asked briefly, succinctly and without rhetoric - some people could learn from that .......

Scamper?

• Like 1

He answered the question asked briefly, succinctly and without rhetoric - some people could learn from that .......

Scamper?

Your just angry Scamper is far more eloquent as you, not that that is hard when your on the side of right.

But even you know they mean YL.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

he is a civil servant - and has not acted with that dignity as the other permanent secretaries did by attending an official meeting called by his employers

He is also a person of integrity , some of which one hopes will eventually rub off onto the PTP / red shirts which is basically lacking in this unchartered waters.

This "integrity" has rubbed off on some of his workers, shame about the abuse of the red cross symbol, but that's Dr. Narongs style of "integrity" for you........................

30224874-01_big.jpg

Echoing the Red Cross warning, Medical Council of Thailand president Dr Somsak Lohlekha has issued a warning for medical workers to properly express their political opinions after a group of medical workers who joined a PDRC protest held up a banner reading "I left patients to overthrow Yingluck"."Medical workers should not do anything that would violate the code of conduct and destroy the image of doctors," he said http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webmobile/national/Public-Health-officials-told-to-be-on-alert-30224874.html
Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He is also a person of integrity , some of which one hopes will eventually rub off onto the PTP / red shirts which is basically lacking in this unchartered waters.

This "integrity" has rubbed off on some of his workers, shame about the abuse of the red cross symbol, but that's Dr. Narongs style of "integrity" for you........................

30224874-01_big.jpg

Echoing the Red Cross warning, Medical Council of Thailand president Dr Somsak Lohlekha has issued a warning for medical workers to properly express their political opinions after a group of medical workers who joined a PDRC protest held up a banner reading "I left patients to overthrow Yingluck"."Medical workers should not do anything that would violate the code of conduct and destroy the image of doctors," he said http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webmobile/national/Public-Health-officials-told-to-be-on-alert-30224874.html

Looks a bit like when a bunch of "reds" tried to close the hospital at Ubonrat earlier this year because they perceived that the director was not supportive of their cause - the locasl (including rice farmers) told them to spread their fertiliser somewhere else (sanitised translation of one of the comments)

estion asked briefly, succinctly and without rhetoric - some people could learn from that .......

Scamper?

Your just angry Scamper is far more eloquent as you, not that that is hard when your on the side of right.

Oh my, now it's the "side of the righteous" with scamper as the prophet. Beyond a little humour when you're on "the side of the right", are we, a little thin skinned, maybe? coffee1.gif

Poor guy must be hard on your nerves being a minority (most foreigners are educated thus support the anti government) and having to defend the undependable. But don't worry this government will be put out of its misery soon enough.

A golden whistle!

Really a grown educated man accepting a golden whistle like a kid accepting a lolly for being a good boy from the teacher.

This is just embarrassing!

Whoever you are Stuttering Parrot, you are not very clever...it's not about a whistle, its about what it stands for... and as you are a Farang, what it stands for has absolutely nothing to do with you... And he is a grown up educated man, a lot more than you can say for yourself... Get a life and worry about the politics in your own sad country.. If you don't like what is happening in Thailand.. the door is always open.. Why is it so many stupid farangs come to live in Thailand.. Oh right, its the only place they can find a woman...

estion asked briefly, succinctly and without rhetoric - some people could learn from that .......

Scamper?

Oh my, now it's the "side of the righteous" with scamper as the prophet. Beyond a little humour when you're on "the side of the right", are we, a little thin skinned, maybe? coffee1.gif

Poor guy must be hard on your nerves being a minority (most foreigners are educated thus support the anti government) and having to defend the undependable. But don't worry this government will be put out of its misery soon enough.

"most foreigners are educated thus support the anti government"

argumentum ad hominem

I am educated (higher degree (s) from good Unis) but I certainly do NOT support the PDRC thugs but i will resist making immature statements such as yours as I believe there ARE 'educated' people who support PDRC (but are wrong of course lol) it's just different perspectives.

• Like 1