Thai-born British citizen accused of lese majeste by her own parents

webfact

Parents Press Lese Majeste Charge Against Daughter

By Khaosod English

13977981921397798337l.jpg
A screenshot of Ms. Chatvadee Amornpat from one of her videos.

BANGKOK: -- A Thai-born British citizen has been accused of insulting the monarchy by her own parents.

Mr. Surapong Amornpat, 67, and Ms. Somchintra Amornpat, 59, lodged complaints with the police in Bangkok's Pravet district yesterday, urging police to take legal action against their daughter, Ms. Chatvadee Amornpat, 34, who is currently residing in London, UK.

According to Mr. Surapong and Ms. Somchintra, Ms. Chatvadee has repeatedly insulted the monarchy on social media, namely via her Facebook and Youtube accounts. The parents brought seven clips of footage, purportedly showing Ms. Chatvadee making offensive remarks toward the monarchy, to the police as evidence of her wrongdoing.

Lese majeste (defamation of the Royal family) is outlawed under Article 112 of the Thai Criminal Codes, with a maximum punishment of 15 years in prison per offence.

Mr. Surapong told the police that Ms. Chatvadee, who is working as a hairstylist in London, has lived in the UK for a long time and recently acquired British citizenship.

He told reporters that he and Ms. Somchintra decided to press charges against their daughter after she started publishing critical remarks of the monarchy on the internet, which has brought waves of condemnation and intimidation towards their family in recent months.

"I do not condone my daughter’s wrongdoing, so I have to press charges because I don't know what else I can do," Mr. Surapong said. "I have warned her to stop such action, but she won't listen."

He added, "I want people to understand that just because a daughter is doing something wrong, it doesn't mean the parents are also guilty, because we don't condone such actions."

According to Mr. Surapong, Ms. Chatvadee has not been in contact with her parents for some time.

The police said they will investigate the accusation and stressed that lese majeste is still considered a crime in Thailand even if the wrongdoing is committed outside the Kingdom.

Complaints of lese majeste have skyrocketed in the past few years, and critics of the law say the allegation of lese majeste is often used as a political weapon to silence opponents.

Today Pol.Maj.Gen. Noraboon Naenna, deputy commander of the Crime Suppression Division, also convened a meeting to discuss the investigation into a Redshirt activist, Mr. Wuttipong Kochthammakul, who has been accused of defaming the monarchy in an interview with a Vice News reporter.

Mr. Wuttipong has not been seen in public since the allegation surfaced earlier this month.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1397798192&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-18

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More likely she stopped sending money home some time ago and the parents are looking to get back at her

If that's the case, they certainly aren't going to be getting anything ever again.

She's better off without them anyhow, if that's the way they think and act.

Her parents are getting attacked from people in Thailand, due to her actions. basically the parents are protecting themselves. we dont know what threats they have had against them but im pretty sure its ugly. some of these people can get fanatical. sad all round

Edited by moonao

This censorship is absolute rubbish... I know how much most people love the monarchy and the King. Isn't that enough? Those few who for some reason have something against the family should be able to speak freely. But I guess I'm just dreaming again...

In Sweden we have monarchy. Thailand wouldn't believe their ears if they knew what our newspapers likes to write about our Nai Luang.

That being said, all respect to his majesty for being one of the best role models this nation has ever faced.

I take the view that if the institution is loved, it can survive any discussion or criticism. The British royals roll with the good and the bad and are overall well respected and loved. These cases hurt the institution more than help it.

You cant force someone to love or respect something. Eventually the worm turns.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Looked at her facebook page (easily found) shes an activist which can be understood in some circumstances, but I feel like many things in Thailand nothing will change in a hurry. The rich will always be there taking what ever advantage of the poor they can.Same the world over.

100% cons-productive.

The parents should be sued for lese-majesté => they are the ones ridiculing and jeopardizing what they are fighting for.

There's a few wise words there.

How to reinforce the way people think, in one easy lesson.

I very much doubt she gives a toss, she is a British Citizen, living in a country that allows freedom of speech. She's not likely to return here anytime soon.

Freedom when it is against the Thai Monarchy. If it is against UK or USA than there isn't that much freedom....see the Snowden situation where they threatened the newspapers

Her parents are getting attacked from people in Thailand, due to her actions. basically the parents are protecting themselves. we dont know what threats they have had against them but im pretty sure its ugly. some of these people can get fanatical. sad all round

If this is true this is your best post ever. Not that it took much to beat your usual postings.

But it is logical if the parents are under threat for them to do this as a shield.

Of course, if Thailand had a useful legal system, they would have been able to protect themselves from these threats.

So once again it comes back to a useless legal system.

I don't agree with you often, but there may well be truth in this matter as well. Sadly the LM law has been widely abused, and there was the case where someone who didn't stand at a cinema a few years back being badly beaten. I've seen some of the online comments in the past whereby people have dared speak about the unmentioned. It gets pretty fanatical. I'll leave it at that, as I have my own personal views, and I don't want to be lynched. The law as someone has said is counterproductive.

If found guilty for disrespect, I hope she go to jail to the limit of the punishment. 5 years for every disrespect. That will be good for her. Thailand do not have such disrespectful people. We all love the king more than our parents. Don't believe me, just ask anything Thai you know.

Oh my god. What an unholy mess that is. She will never come back to Thailand now.

These laws have to be changed.

why would she want to come back...we dont know what they were like towards her before..bet it wasnt all roses in that household..hope shes happy in london..i dont condone what she is meant to have said but with parents like that who needs enemies..wai2.gif

I very much doubt she gives a toss, she is a British Citizen, living in a country that allows freedom of speech. She's not likely to return here anytime soon.

Freedom when it is against the Thai Monarchy. If it is against UK or USA than there isn't that much freedom....see the Snowden situation where they threatened the newspapers

Have a look at some of the stuff that gets said about the British Monarchy, British Politicians etc....would never be allowed here.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If found guilty for disrespect, I hope she go to jail to the limit of the punishment. 5 years for every disrespect. That will be good for her. Thailand do not have such disrespectful people. We all love the king more than our parents. Don't believe me, just ask anything Thai you know.

At least you are free to say what you like , why can't others

Oh my god. What an unholy mess that is. She will never come back to Thailand now.

why would she want to come back...we dont know what they were like towards her before..bet it wasnt all roses in that household..hope shes happy in london..i dont condone what she is meant to have said but with parents like that who needs enemies..wai2.gif
Well home is home. I though thailand could become home, but in the end it was a let down. Stories like this confirm why.

Why does Thailand persist in shooting itself in the foot to achieve nothing. What are they scared of? One person saying their opinion is enough to justify ridiculing themselves?

Idiotic to force parents to charge their daughter to show.loyalty. If it was the communist purges or north Korea we would a be shaking our heads in disgust.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I just asked the wife.

Edited by metisdead
15) Do not make changes to quoted material that changes the intended meaning of the quoted post

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

why would she want to come back...we dont know what they were like towards her before..bet it wasnt all roses in that household..hope shes happy in london..i dont condone what she is meant to have said but with parents like that who needs enemies..wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif
Well home is home. I though thailand could become home, but in the end it was a let down. Stories like this confirm why.

Why does Thailand persist in shooting itself in the foot to achieve nothing. What are they scared of? One person saying their opinion is enough to justify ridiculing themselves?

Idiotic to force parents to charge their daughter to show.loyalty. If it was the communist purges or north Korea we would a be shaking our heads in disgust.

The word is control

Throwing their own daughter under a bus to save face is the lowest form of selfishness.

I have to agree that this is all very self-serving, but at the cost of never ever having the chance of rekindling a loving relationship with their daughter again.

I think they will regret this a great deal more than she will...!!