Karaoke Bars here in Chiang Mai

MickeyMaow

I've often wondered about these places. I've only been once, a group of friend and we had our own girls with us,( expect one lad, he rented a girl to sit with us 200baht hour I think) we rented a room had a bottle of whiskey it was all a bit of fun a little expensive, but not like the horror stories you hear.

But is there one where you can go on your own or with a wing man and not get ripped off?

What's the deal with the girls? I've heard it's not what you think, and they are only hostesses?

There's a lot of them around, who do they cater for?

Maybe I am out of line here. But I can at least give my view of this concerning Karaoke bars and regular bars. I read that you go to karaoke bars and I understand that you are a falang!! I live in Isaan (Chaiyaphum) and here it is a big no no to frequent these karaoke bars. It is way too dangerous for us falangs to go there and drink together with the thais....

I have been tought that NEVER mix myself with strange/unknown thaipeople and myself when there is alcohol involved. So here at least, I will NEVER go to a karaoke bar... Karaoke bars are for thai people and regular bars like in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket or wherever touristplace is for in first hand us falangs....

Maybe I am wrong but that is how I look at it.

Maybe Chiang Mai are different or maybe you are just different.....?????

Glegolo

• Like 1

Remember that karaoke type place that used to be where Fabrique is now? Years ago I wandered in there out of "curiosity"... they sat me down at a table, I ordered a drink and was quickly joined by a lady that explained the system to me. The women were lined up by the stage and took turns singing, if you fancied one you sent her a "lei" of fake flowers... that was her invitation to join you at your table. It all seemed oddly innocent to me at the time. I didn't stay long, my bill was fair, the staff was polite.

Maybe I am out of line here. But I can at least give my view of this concerning Karaoke bars and regular bars. I read that you go to karaoke bars and I understand that you are a falang!! I live in Isaan (Chaiyaphum) and here it is a big no no to frequent these karaoke bars. It is way too dangerous for us falangs to go there and drink together with the thais....

I have been tought that NEVER mix myself with strange/unknown thaipeople and myself when there is alcohol involved. So here at least, I will NEVER go to a karaoke bar... Karaoke bars are for thai people and regular bars like in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket or wherever touristplace is for in first hand us falangs....

Glegolo

Good gone man, where's your sense of fun, where's your sense of adventure? biggrin.png Just kidding - each of us has to find their own path!

• Like 1

There is a halfway point with these.

There's a type of karaoke here, frequented mostly by Thai's, where you only pay standard price for drinks (beer, whiskey etc), and you can choose to have a girl/guy sit down with you, and drink/sing with etc, at a lower cost then the Chang Klan Road establishments.

It's much more a locals thing, and they can be found all over the place.

Remember that karaoke type place that used to be where Fabrique is now? Years ago I wandered in there out of "curiosity"... they sat me down at a table, I ordered a drink and was quickly joined by a lady that explained the system to me. The women were lined up by the stage and took turns singing, if you fancied one you sent her a "lei" of fake flowers... that was her invitation to join you at your table. It all seemed oddly innocent to me at the time. I didn't stay long, my bill was fair, the staff was polite.

That wasn't technically a karoke bar (at the time). In English bars or of that type are sometimes called singalong restaurants and they used to be a lot more common. This is a pic from that place.

post-64232-0-14476600-1397916900_thumb.j

An example of a reasonable karaoke place that has hostesses would be Ter karaoke. There are several around town. You can do a Google search for เธอ คาราโอเกะ เชียงใหม่

Edited by onthedarkside
insulting post removed
  • Like 1

Glegolo

I used to live in a rural area of Nakhon Sawan and regularly went to the local Karaoke bars. I got drunk as a sack, behaved very badly at times and only once was there any hint of trouble (and that was when I was with two other Thai people and was behaving impeccably.

However, looking back on that time now, I am not sure that I would want to do it again. I used to be the only Western face in establishments that were literally miles from anywhere and I am a little surprised I never got into trouble. I remember eating pat grapao snake with a couple of Thai guys in one karaoke place as the sun came up and many other strange experiences that I guess have made my memories a little more colourful.

• Like 1

Indeed. Glegolo's post is very puzzling.

I'm genuinely unsure what else else I can say about it.

Maybe that it's xenophobic and with no connection to things that are real things.

Sorry for the awkward way to put it. (I am fully sober as always, but now in TripAdvisor mode in terms of trying to phrase something.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Maybe that it's xenophobic and with no connection to things that are real things.

Sorry for the awkward way to put it. (I am fully sober as always, but now in TripAdvisor mode in terms of trying to phrase something.)

And your post that I replied to was taken away, so maybe I had something there....Just relax and stick to the subject and dont attack

other people...

Glegolo

• Like 1

There a few different types of bars that can be referred to as karaoke. The big illuminated ones with lots of girls out front along Chang klan are the dangerous ones, more targeting Asian business types and can be a trap for new players, because they charge for everything not just drinks.

The ones with the girls singing and you buy flower lays, then they come and sit with you, are pretty straight forward for the most part. You can only go in and just pay for your drinks, or more if you like.

Then there are the little thai karaoke places dotted about the place. Usually open front shop, a couple of tables, a KTV machine in the back corner and maybe 2 or 3 hostesses. Again, pretty straight forward, normal beer prices. They don't charge for the girls to sit with you, but the girls do sit with you expecting a tip. Don't expect to converse much in English.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

There are karaoke bars & there are Karaoke bars

If it is the type with the girls on stools out front forget it ( IMO )

If it is the type with xmas lights out front they can be a lot of fun &

we have never been ripped off ever.

We do go with a group of Thai friends but still I think a falang alone or with a buddy would be

fine in these types of places & have seen one from time to time.

They have a stage & folks go up & take turns singing of they like.

Always found it a fun evening with very reasonable prices for food & drink

• Like 1

And your post that I replied to was taken away, so maybe I had something there....Just relax and stick to the subject and dont attack

other people...

Glegolo

Oh dear. smile.png

Anyway I did not intend that as some sort of attack, I'm apologize if you perceived it as something in any way serious. It was a frivolous theory -that may not be correct- as to why people can get to unrealistic levels of xenophobia over as much as having a drink in a local pub, if that pub happens to be frequented by local Thai people.

I see that quite a lot actually. So lets skip over the 'why', and leave it at that this mindset exists among many expats. You actually worded it very well when you wrote that "It is way too dangerous for us falangs to go there and drink together with the thais.... I have been tought that NEVER mix myself with strange/unknown thaipeople and myself when there is alcohol involved."

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Glegolo

I used to live in a rural area of Nakhon Sawan and regularly went to the local Karaoke bars. I got drunk as a sack, behaved very badly at times and only once was there any hint of trouble (and that was when I was with two other Thai people and was behaving impeccably.

However, looking back on that time now, I am not sure that I would want to do it again. I used to be the only Western face in establishments that were literally miles from anywhere and I am a little surprised I never got into trouble. I remember eating pat grapao snake with a couple of Thai guys in one karaoke place as the sun came up and many other strange experiences that I guess have made my memories a little more colourful.

Sounds to me like you are a man of experience who has had his vision tainted by Nay Sayers who have probably at the most only been in one Karaoke bar.

Some friends of mine went to one early hours and after one drink were presented with a bill for Bt15K and threatened with a firearm. Fortunately a phone call to one of their extremely well connected Thai wives got them out of bother, but if they hadn't had that luxury they were in deep doo doo.

People who run some of these places are no better than the jetski scammers of Phuket and Pattaya.

Yes there every once in a while comes a post about such outrageous bills at a Karaoke bar. But in general it is aimed at only one establishment. It is far from the normal Karaoke bar. But here in Chiang Mai there is a few places known to have done it.

I often wonder how long they stay in business with those gigantic rip offs. Seems to me the word would get around. But what do I know I stay clear of them.