Anyone made and marketed an APP?

ExpatJ

I have a decent idea for an App that aims to inform people interested in a specific sector to help them make decisions. My plan is to give it away free, build up the user base over a 2-3 years period and then sell it to a specific type of company for them to sell their products related to this sector to the apps established user base for... 1 million$? 5 million$?? More?. What are the costs involved?

So, just wondering has anyone launched their own app and succeeded/failed? Is it making money? Can you recommend good app design company in Bangkok? Is this just a pipe dream?

It depends so much on the complexity of the app.

I've worked getting an app to market. It cost about USD10k. A very professional but reasonably simple app (that was for iOS and Android).

I'd guess that it scraped a profit.

Get some quotes for the app. The costs are only really the cost of coding the app - and then of course, keeping it up to date.

You'll need someone with different expertise to help you with an approximate valuation of an app + its userbase.

I'd suggest, it could make you money (it's not as hard as you think), but probably not the millions you want ;)

Yes, recently launched a desktop app for Mac/Windows for browsing/downloading videos/music from multiple video services - for now just YouTube and Vimeo. Apart from the time invested (a lot), hosting, developer program enrollment fees, no other costs as such.

If you plan to build an app with the purpose of selling it later, the common consensus is that you will fail. You need your heart in it. You can't have your heart in a creative product you create with the purpose of getting rid of, so to speak. You're not selling a house or a car, you're selling something that solves problems for people.

Build something you have a passion for. If you get a great offer later, excellent - but strive to create an excellent product first of all.

Edited by Phil Conners
link to own site removed - see forum rules

While it is absolutely possible to make money from apps, there are a few things you need to think about:

- domain knowledge: do you have specific inside information into the business domain, or can you partner up with somebody?

- what is your budget for those first 2 or 3 years, is there any source of revenue, e.g. from ads, and how much are you willing to put into it?

- how will people know about your service - how will you advertise it?

- who will generate content and keep it up to date?

- your target group - are you targeting multiple languages?

Once you have a clear picture of this, you are in a much better position to decide from there.

I have helped put a few apps into existence, sure it can be done, but I don't think it's a great plan to go into business expecting to sell it for millions a few years later.

• Like 1