Kindle posted from UK will I need to pay Thailand tax on it ?

MrMuddle

MrMuddle is a bit muddled with this.

Amazon do deliver to Thailand....and with their global service you pay a prepaid tax deposit which will cover the tax..if it does not you do not get charged extra...however if they charge less you get a refund.

The way you are doing it may be cheap...or the sky is the limit.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

How is it coming?

If really posted (Parcel Force, USPS etc), it could well get through with no or minimal tax and duty.

If it's coming DHL, FedEx or one of the other couriers, you WILL pay VAT and duty.

You know you can buy them in Thailand? If the shipping and tax added on works out as roughly the same as the Thai cost, it would be worth your while buying one here.

Depends where you are of course, if they are easy for you to find - in Bangkok branches of the B2S stationery and book stores at Central Malls sell them. I bought a Kindle 4 for 5450B.

There's also a thai mail order e-reader store that sells Kindles (but I haven't used them) : http://www.ereaderthailand.com/

While not the same, an iPad and a Kindle are similar items for the purposes of import taxes and duty as they are applied to incoming deliveries. I can say that I have had an iPad shipped to me from the US and didn't have to pay any taxes at all. It was shipped from a family member using USPS (normal post office shipping). It was clearly marked as a gift. The declared value was $100.

I now know that the declared value should have been lower than that. I got away with it that time and several other times, but there is no way of knowing if you will be hit with import duty or not. My family now declares a value of less than $50 regardless of the contents of the box. Sometimes, they write 'used' in addition to 'gift' and write a value of 0. This virtually guarantees that you won't be hit with import duty if using regular post options. Packages are delivered via EMS here in Thailand without incident.

It is impossible to determine if you will be subjected to the joys of customs and their seemingly arbitrary fees or not. If it is shipped using a service like FedEx, you can count on being charged. They are in the business of delivering packages from point A to point B. As such, they are not in the business of evading duty on items imported into Thailand. The take precautions to ensure they don't face repercussions for faulty business practices as it relates to their business. They don't want to be held liable for misrepresenting information about the contents of their packages. Therefore, they are nearly always hit with taxes should the contents of the box fall into a taxable category.

To avoid paying these taxes, you can use the strategy I employ as outlined above. Go ahead and order it from Amazon. Have it shipped to a trusted friend or family member. Ensure they remove tags and markings that indicate it is brand new. Then, have them re-ship it to you in Thailand with the declaration information I stated above.

Otherwise, take your chances with the taxman! Ensure you are home for the delivery if you can be. The few times I have been forced to pay, the amount was payable to the delivery person on arrival. There is a small surcharge for the delivery guy. You will find his fee to be insignificant when compared to the massive amount of tax often imposed on imported goods here. If you aren't home, you will have to go to the office where it is being held. For me, that isn't the nearest post office at all. It isn't far, but it isn't the closest by any means. I go there with my information and pay the taxes. They release the box and its contents to me.

All in all, it is a simple procedure. The sums of money involved can be large. Import taxes here are astronomically high on some items. I am not sure, but I think your Kindle will fall into one of those categories. In my case, I got nailed with children's clothing that came for my son's first birthday. To save on shipping costs, each family member put their individual gifts into one box and sent it off. The labelled it accordingly. That was a big, big mistake!! I could not refuse the shipment because there was sentimental value associated with the contents of the package. So, I paid more than the box was worth in taxes.

• Like 1

I had a Kindle Paperwhite delivered from Amazon USA last month by Fedex to Phuket. It took 4 days. Apart from the cost of the Kindle, the additional charges were GBP 38.14 import duty and GBP 16.83 delivery charge. The import duty is a prepaid amount on the Amazon invoice.

If your original account is with amazon.co.uk you will need to sign in to amazon.com using the same user name amd password to order from the international site.

• Like 1

Another source for Kindles here in Thailand:

http://www.thaiexcite.com/Kindle-eBook-Readers/

I bought my wife's Kindle Paperwhite from here (THB 5,990) and the purchase went fine. Did a bank transfer for the price ans shipping, and had it the next day.

I calculated what it would have cost from Amazon - price, shipping, Customs tariffs, and VAT - and the price I paid was only a couple of dollars more, with none of the hassle.

I bought my wife's Kindle Paperwhite from here (THB 5,990) and the purchase went fine. Did a bank transfer for the price ans shipping, and had it the next day.

I calculated what it would have cost from Amazon - price, shipping, Customs tariffs, and VAT - and the price I paid was only a couple of dollars more, with none of the hassle.

What hassle? I logged on to my Amazon account, made a few mouse clicks and waited for the DHL van to arrive at my house with the package 4 days later.

One thing you might want to consider is this. I"m on my second Kindle because I wanted the new Paperwhite with backlit screen, but the first one I ordered developed a fault after 8 months. Amazon's customer care is faultless. I contacted them and they said no probs, it's guaranteed for a year, we'll replace it. They then sent me a link to print out a free return label for UPS, I sent it off and got the replacement a few days later. The question is, would you have the same confidence from a Thai retailer if something goes wrong.

What hassle? I logged on to my Amazon account, made a few mouse clicks and waited for the DHL van to arrive at my house with the package 4 days later.

One thing you might want to consider is this. I"m on my second Kindle because I wanted the new Paperwhite with backlit screen, but the first one I ordered developed a fault after 8 months. Amazon's customer care is faultless. I contacted them and they said no probs, it's guaranteed for a year, we'll replace it. They then sent me a link to print out a free return label for UPS, I sent it off and got the replacement a few days later. The question is, would you have the same confidence from a Thai retailer if something goes wrong.

The retailer that I linked has a no questions asked return for ten days, then repair or replace for the one year warranty period.

Query: Amazon US or Amazon UK? What was the total cost delivered?

While not the same, an iPad and a Kindle are similar items for the purposes of import taxes and duty as they are applied to incoming deliveries. I can say that I have had an iPad shipped to me from the US and didn't have to pay any taxes at all. It was shipped from a family member using USPS (normal post office shipping). It was clearly marked as a gift. The declared value was $100.

I now know that the declared value should have been lower than that. I got away with it that time and several other times, but there is no way of knowing if you will be hit with import duty or not. My family now declares a value of less than $50 regardless of the contents of the box. Sometimes, they write 'used' in addition to 'gift' and write a value of 0. This virtually guarantees that you won't be hit with import duty if using regular post options. Packages are delivered via EMS here in Thailand without incident.

It is impossible to determine if you will be subjected to the joys of customs and their seemingly arbitrary fees or not. If it is shipped using a service like FedEx, you can count on being charged. They are in the business of delivering packages from point A to point B. As such, they are not in the business of evading duty on items imported into Thailand. The take precautions to ensure they don't face repercussions for faulty business practices as it relates to their business. They don't want to be held liable for misrepresenting information about the contents of their packages. Therefore, they are nearly always hit with taxes should the contents of the box fall into a taxable category.

To avoid paying these taxes, you can use the strategy I employ as outlined above. Go ahead and order it from Amazon. Have it shipped to a trusted friend or family member. Ensure they remove tags and markings that indicate it is brand new. Then, have them re-ship it to you in Thailand with the declaration information I stated above.

Otherwise, take your chances with the taxman! Ensure you are home for the delivery if you can be. The few times I have been forced to pay, the amount was payable to the delivery person on arrival. There is a small surcharge for the delivery guy. You will find his fee to be insignificant when compared to the massive amount of tax often imposed on imported goods here. If you aren't home, you will have to go to the office where it is being held. For me, that isn't the nearest post office at all. It isn't far, but it isn't the closest by any means. I go there with my information and pay the taxes. They release the box and its contents to me.

All in all, it is a simple procedure. The sums of money involved can be large. Import taxes here are astronomically high on some items. I am not sure, but I think your Kindle will fall into one of those categories. In my case, I got nailed with children's clothing that came for my son's first birthday. To save on shipping costs, each family member put their individual gifts into one box and sent it off. The labelled it accordingly. That was a big, big mistake!! I could not refuse the shipment because there was sentimental value associated with the contents of the package. So, I paid more than the box was worth in taxes.

THis is the worst advice possible. You may have to pay a large sum this way. If you send direct by Amazon the fee is fixed in advance and you pay no more and may pay less.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

Items Ordered

1 of: Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

Sold by: Amazon Export Sales, Inc.

Condition: New

$139.00

1 of: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Ink Blue (does not fit Kindle or Kindle Touch)

$39.99

Shipping Speed:

AmazonGlobal Priority Shipping

Item(s) Subtotal: GBP 111.69

Shipping & Handling: GBP 16.83

-----

Total before tax: GBP 166.66

Sales Tax: GBP 0.0

Import Fees Deposit GBP 38.14

-----

Total for This Shipment: GBP 166.66

-----

The final cost is in pounds because of the conversion on my UK credit card.

Edited by trd

Items Ordered

1 of: Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

$139.00

1 of: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Ink Blue (does not fit Kindle or Kindle Touch)

$39.99

Shipping Speed:

AmazonGlobal Priority Shipping

Item(s) Subtotal: GBP 111.69

Shipping & Handling: GBP 16.83

-----

Total before tax: GBP 166.66

Sales Tax: GBP 0.0

Import Fees Deposit GBP 38.14

-----

Total for This Shipment: GBP 166.66

-----

The final cost is in pounds because of the conversion on my UK credit card.

Converting 166.66 GBP to THB comes in at a shade over 9,000 THB - a little more than 3,000 THB more than I paid for the same item, and my purchase included the AC adapter, which Amazon charges something like $15 to buy...

Edited by WaywardWind

this is what I got form the us site for theKindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

$139.00
Items: $139.00 Shipping & handling: $20.98 Total before tax: $159.98 Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00 Import Fees Deposit $53.81 Order total:$213.79

Many people have had the tax or some of it refunded

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your replies. My apologies for not replying sooner, fearsome thunderstorms last night, and we've been to a funeral today. Certainly plenty to think about.

Mr Muddle must be very happy reading on his kindle as we have not heard from him here for a while.smile.png

There's also a thai mail order e-reader store that sells Kindles (but I haven't used them) : http://www.ereaderthailand.com/

I bought my Kindle and my cover here, but you must know that it takes one month to arrive to your home, because they order them in the USA ( they dont' have them in their shop , that's what they told me by e mail )

• 1 month later...

Update: As it's my Birthday soon, a friend in the UK has offered to buy a Kindle for me from Amazon UK, have it sent to his house, put a lot of books on it for me, then post it on to me, by Post office parcel post , clearly labelled as a Birthday Gift - will I avoid any taxes if he does this ?

Nope. At least not officially.

If it's really coming parcel (or small packet) you stand a good chance of minimal duty / tax, but don't be surprised if you get stung, it's the way it works here.

• Like 1

Update: As it's my Birthday soon, a friend in the UK has offered to buy a Kindle for me from Amazon UK, have it sent to his house, put a lot of books on it for me, then post it on to me, by Post office parcel post , clearly labelled as a Birthday Gift - will I avoid any taxes if he does this ?

No. In fact all items in the package will be assessed at the rate of the highest item and that means that the books which are normally exempt are taxed too. In fact if they think you are cheating they can fine you 4 times the amount.