Passport for my son

Hello everyone. First post I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I assume this has been covered before so please bear with me. I want to know what I need to do to get my son an American passport. Usual story I think I am American and his mother is Thai. Yes we are "married" and have been for almost six years. We haven't done the full legal marriage. Our son is five and I want to be able to take him travelling and maybe see some of his family in the States in the future. Have a Thai birth certificate and there won't be any problems with his mom signing any papers that are necessary as she would like him to possibly visit there or be able to be educated there. My questions are:

Will I need to go through a different process since he is already five years old? Have I blown it by not immediately declaring his as my son at the Embassy or something along those lines? Is he eligible for a US Passport? If so what should my next step be? What is the cost? What papers would I need to present? I would hope to find out everything possible so any documents I need I will prepare and go to the Embassy and hopefully get it done as quickly as possible. No rush on time or anything but of course the sooner, the better. All information and help is greatly appreciated. Hope everyone survived Songkran unscathed. Thank you.smile.png

As you are not "married" proof of the relationship may be required.

A name on a birth certificate my be insufficient "proof" for Uncle Sam!

Best check directly with the Embassy.

Unlike information on some embassy websites the info on the US embassy's is concise It even mentions DNA testing if needed.

" Usual story I think I am American and his mother is Thai. Yes we are "married" and have been for almost six years. We haven't done the full legal marriage."

Besides the marriage issue, what's up with your statement, "I think I am American"?

Don't you know?

• Like 1

" Usual story I think I am American and his mother is Thai. Yes we are "married" and have been for almost six years. We haven't done the full legal marriage."

Besides the marriage issue, what's up with your statement, "I think I am American"?

Don't you know?

You copied it out of context.

'Usual story I think I am American" Separate them out to "Usual story I think.." "I am American and his mother is Thai.."

Or are you being the grammar police because of a typo.

• Like 1

Don't you know?

My appolgies for forgetting the period after think.

I should have said "It's the usual story I think.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't you know?

My appolgies for forgetting the period after think.

I should have said "It's the usual story I think.

The punctuation is of no issue!

Contact the Embassy , they will provide guidance and advice.

Sounds silly, but you will need to "prove" that your son is the same child that was born. Your main hurdle is the USA birth certificate, then the passport is easy if at the same time. You may need to provide a lot of photos and DNA at their discretion is possible, and expensive...

I believe it's up to the individual embassy interviewer to "believe your story" when they give you the interview with regards to whether or not they require a DNA test.

My wife and I were not married when we registered my sons birth (he was about 6 months old). I would bring a chronology of photos showing him at different ages and you all together

You may also have to prove the 'long term relationship" of you and your wife. We used corresponding stamps on our passports from a few years earlier when we went did some traveling together.

Maybe get your son a Thai passport before you go to the embassy to prove he is the same person as the birth certificate, that DNA test might be expensive, for sure a hassle if they

don't believe your story. Definitely do some work so you get it right the first time IMO.

Oh and I think I should mention they will be scrutinizing how you two met (what was her number at the go-go etc.). You should have a good story prepared that way, if needed. You might

someday like to bring her to the states. We were caught of guard and kind of dropped the ball on that one...we did meet in a bar. We hope the truth shall set us free but don't really know those implications.

Good Luck!

There is no age or time limit to obtain a consular report of birth

Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. citizen is only issued to a child who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and who is generally under the age of 18 at the time of the application.

ref: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/abroad/events-and-records/birth.html

note... i had two children born overseas.... One was done immediately, no problem. The other, passed the age of 18, and due to other problems as well, (her mom) I could not do hers.

There is no age or time limit to obtain a consular report of birth

Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. citizen is only issued to a child who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and who is generally under the age of 18 at the time of the application.

ref: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/abroad/events-and-records/birth.html

note... i had two children born overseas.... One was done immediately, no problem. The other, passed the age of 18, and due to other problems as well, (her mom) I could not do hers.

To me the statement is not saying there is a limit. Just that normally it should done by the age of 18.

It should be done as soon as possible after birth in my opinion.

Here is the limit for CRBA from the same site. After 18, it becomes a different animal. Then you must apply for Certification of Citizenship..

"A person born abroad who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth but who is over the age of 18 (and so not eligible for a CRBA) may wish to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship to document acquisition pursuant to 8 U.S.C. 1452. Visit USCIS.gov for further information."

It is very clear.

The US Embassy in this case is your friend, completely. The only real problem you're going to have in getting your rug rag US nationality and the passport that goes with it is getting the money for the spectacular fees. But instructions for your specific case will be clear, and everything will be smooth if you follow those instructions. This I know.
Don't spend another minute here. Make a consular appointment at (bangkok.usembassy.gov) and get started. No one here can tell you EXACTLY what to do, and the Embassy people can, and will.

what is this usa birth certificate? if the child was born in thailand there wont be one

Actually (again) there will be after you do what the embassy folks tell you to do.
It is called a Certificate of Birth Abroad, and it is a multi-purpose document establishing US nationality, the right to be president as a natural-born citizen, the fact and place of birth (the birth "certificate" part) and more. It has the same purpose and effect and authority as a birth certificate issued by a state or territory or commonwealth for a person born inside US territory. Neat, eh?
Also, there will be a Social Security card.

post-52815-0-49625500-1397994280_thumb.j

Edited by ubonjoe
removed comments about grammer
  • Like 1

Why not get accurate, up-to-date & trustworthy information from the American Embassy? You might get it easily from the Thai American Embassy's website, or you'll have to go to the embassy itself.

Edited by HerbalEd

"Or are you being the grammar police because of a typo."

Just read it as written.

Now it's obvious what he meant.

Good luck, OP.

Actually, that'd be the punctuation police. Sorry, I could'n resist.

Why would it matter if he's legally married, or not married to the mother? From what some of you are saying, it "seems" the child can't be declared a USA citizen if he's illegitimate, but that's very hand to believe if his father is an American citizen.

I have obtained 3 Birth Abroad Certificates for my kids with Passports over a 20 year period. None I found to be that hard to do. For 2 kids I was not married to the mother. Any kind of documentation including photos with the kid & mom showing him growing up, Xmas cards from family back in the USA with everyone's name, etc all help in building the case.

My experience is the more info you can show that establishes some kind of ongoing long term relationship the better it is.

That's my experience anyway.

Edited by rotary

Why not get accurate, up-to-date & trustworthy information from the American Embassy? You might get it easily from the Thai American Embassy's website, or you'll have to go to the embassy itself.

You can't just go to the embassy. An appointment is needed to get through the front doors unless it is an emergency.

They are very good at answering questions sent by email if needed.

Why would it matter if he's legally married, or not married to the mother? From what some of you are saying, it "seems" the child can't be declared a USA citizen if he's illegitimate, but that's very hand to believe if his father is an American citizen.

I am not sure anybody said that. But if they did it is not true.

Here is the limit for CRBA from the same site. After 18, it becomes a different animal. Then you must apply for Certification of Citizenship..

"A person born abroad who acquired U.S. citizenship at birth but who is over the age of 18 (and so not eligible for a CRBA) may wish to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship to document acquisition pursuant to 8 U.S.C. 1452. Visit USCIS.gov for further information."

It is very clear.

I saw that after a further look.

My original reply was to was to inform the OP that it was not a problem going by his child's age.

what is this usa birth certificate? if the child was born in thailand there wont be one

Follow the embassies advice and follow thru.

hope ur name and ur sons last name are the same

It is a Certificate of US Citizen born Abroad, and can be used as a birth certificate in the US, there is also a Certificate of a US Citizen deceased abroad and can be used to settle the estate in US

ok, never heard it called that

"a Consular Report of Birth Abroad", it can not be used a birth certificate but is used to get a US passport

i have one for my daughter

we got hers when she was 2 and i was not married to her thai mom. To prove she was my child, I had photos and friends verify she was my child ( she also has my last name on her thai bc)

AS i said an others have advised you the us embassy is your friend for this :-)

Always good answers here at thaivisa, but you'll get the best answers at visajourney.com for this sort of question, in my humble opinion better answers that most in states immigration lawyers provide.

Best site on earth for US visa and/or immigration issues and no I'm not connected with it in any way other than it was hugely important in bringing my Asian wife to the states.

Good luck.

There is no age or time limit to obtain a consular report of birth and then get him his passport.

See this page on embassy website for the procedure: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/birth-of-a-u.s.-citizen-in-thailand.html

I am pretty sure this is incorrect. There is an age limit but can't recall exactly other than it was 18, 20, 25 one of those....

I came across this rule when i got our newborn hers...

You should also apply for a SS #...

CB

Years do go by quickly, and since the mom of my children (we were not married) wished to maintain custody and there was no chance of me taking them out of Asia...I had two cases.

1. At a consular visit in my area, I brought my wife, and son (aged 18 months), photos, a certain amount of money (that was 15 years ago ..but about 75 dollars back then), foreign birth certificate and my passport. The consulate rep gave ulme all the forms and I did everything in one hour....on the spot. The mom signed a document giving allowing my son to use my son to us my last name. (this was a simple matter). At the same time, they accepted the application for passport and social security number. Those items were mailed Federal Express after a short period of time. They could have demanded a DNA test..but did not. That is at their discretion. He merely looked at the baby and determined it had to be mine (perhaps we were both equally handsome...or not). My son was in for heart surgery and was provided Tricare benefits for heart surgery at birth. This was all critical....so it all worked out.

2. My daughter had a different mom who worked in many overseas countries, under a false name and passport. (met her in Japan at a bar). My daughter has so many family resemblences, that I had no issues with her care.....but the mom was making tons of money and the daughter benefitted greatly, by living with her aunt/grandma. I supported as I could. Time went on quickly....and just before her 18th birthday, she was allowed to stay with me. Her mom refused to go to the Embassy, and that is when I saw that her mom had a phony passport for 18 years. The birth certificate did not match. She then passed 18 years and now it is only her mom and her that need apply for the Certificate of Citizenship (This is a problem after 18 years, as I would be required to prove I supported her, have a DNA test for sure, and then the problem of the mom's false passport/false name on the birth certificate. Her mom must sign a letter saying I supported her for 18 years....she will not do that either. The daughter is happy and employed, nonetheless. Actually, she saw all the documentation, and ran away back home. Turned out she never wanted to go. She is now 20.

3. Bottom line.... do it now... the sooner the better....and the less complications.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. I am very glad I posted the question here, as I got a lot of great information from the members and monitors. So thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and help. clap2.gif I will try not to anger the grammar or punctuation police LOL. I am embarrassed by error and definitely guilty of laziness in proof-reading haha. Everybody have a good rest of the week.