Thai in more detail and using visual aids

djayz

I've lived in Thailand for 4 years now and my Thai (pronunciation more so than vocabulary or sentence structure) has improved in the last 12 months since moving to Isaan as I'm forced to speak the language daily. I can order a variety of food and drinks in Thai, give/understand directions, ask and answer basic questions, etc.

But, I just realized recently that I know the names of very few animals, fruit, trees/plants, countries, etc. in Thai. Can anybody recommend a book or site that teaches the names of animals, plants, household items, parts of a car/motorbike, clothes, etc. in Thai? Preferably with pictures as there are a few reptiles, insects, plants, birds, etc. which I'm not familiar with.

Also, I've noticed that there is loads of material on the internet for people learning ENGLISH which uses a lot of pictures/visual aids when introducing new vocabulary, but I can't find anything like that on the web for people learning Thai. Do you have any recommendations for "learning Thai with visual aids"? Alternatively, I'd be willing to create my own material by copy-pasting images from the net if I knew which software to use (picture/photo + Thai script and maybe transliteration). Any recommendations on which program would be best to use for a project like this?

It's been awhile but there is a CD set you can buy for about 1000B. (10 CD's?) It is for teaching Thai children English but it is also in Thai. It says both the Thai word and then the English word. Lots of pictures and common phrases plus it is also has the written language. Good either direction. Very Basic and the background music becomes quiet annoying. Found it in a department store.

There are pictorial dictionaries, I have one German-English-Thai (intended for German users) and one Thai-English (intended for Thai users). I found the Thai-English at a market, I like books so whenever there are books for sale I have a look. There must be more pictorial dictionaries to teach English for Thais, that work in the other direction as well.

I also just happen to stumble over this little beauty... http://lingopolo.com/thai/

Pretty good dictionary for daily use/words.

I can't comment on the usefulness of the dictionary, but I was amused by two of the five latest additions: "I always wear a scarf in winter" and "I always wear gloves in winter". I'm not sure useful those phrases would be in Thailand.

I would, however, be a little wary of a dictionary which has words and phrases added by someone who states "My level of Thai is beginning to creep above the beginner level, and I'm more and more wanting to express myself with adverbs of time, things like now, before that, tomorrow, yesterday and so on."

• Like 1

I just stumbled across this site right now. I haven't checked all the categories out, but this is exactly what I had in mind. Just thought I'd share it.

http://www.dicts.info/picture-dictionary.php?language=thai

Thanks again for all the tips.

Again, be wary. The Thai is clearly lifted from a dictionary by someone who doesn't understand Thai. For example, in the first section, "Agriculture", "clover" is given as "พันธุ์ไม้เตี้ยชนิดหนึ่ง ใช้เป็นอาหารของม้าและวัวควาย ใบมีสามแฉก".

"Farm" is "ที่เพาะปลูกและเลี้ยงสัตว์"

Not exactly helpful. These are Thai definitions, not a translations.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled across this site right now. I haven't checked all the categories out, but this is exactly what I had in mind. Just thought I'd share it.

http://www.dicts.info/picture-dictionary.php?language=thai

Thanks again for all the tips.

Again, be wary. The Thai is clearly lifted from a dictionary by someone who doesn't understand Thai. For example, in the first section, "Agriculture", "clover" is given as "พันธุ์ไม้เตี้ยชนิดหนึ่ง ใช้เป็นอาหารของม้าและวัวควาย ใบมีสามแฉก".

"Farm" is "ที่เพาะปลูกและเลี้ยงสัตว์"

Not exactly helpful. These are Thai definitions, not a translations.

Thank you , I hadn't picked up on that... Generally I double check everything I get "for free" on the net. I've found numerous gross mistakes (on other web sites, not the ones I quoted/posted here).

Edited by djayz