14 Uighurs found at Sa Kaew

Lite Beer

14 Uighurs found at Sa Kaew
The Sunday Nation

SA KAEW: -- Fourteen suspected Uighur refugees were rounded up yesterday while trying to hide in a wooded area in Sa Kaew's Wattana Nakhon district.

The five men, three women and six children, reportedly abandoned by Cambodian smugglers on Friday, were discovered behind a mental hospital in tambon Nong Nam Sai at about 1pm.

After searching the refugees, authorities found four cell-phones with the data wiped cleaned and 1,027 yuan and US$42,950.

The refugees are not carrying any documents and reportedly can only speak Turkic. They claimed they were travelling to Turkey after escaping from China.

The 14 were charged with illegal entry and sent to Sa Kaew Immigration Police for deportation to China.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-20

Reading the headline of the article I initially thought that they found some kind of wild animals,

Uighurs? I consider my self as well read person but never heard of this ethnic group...

Googling now....

It was elephants there yesterday.....

Ezzra, they are a persecuted diasporic Muslim minority from NW China....If anything goes wrong in China, it's their fault....

I bet that $40K won't go far and won't be surprised if the coppers make the ladies work a few 'shifts' in their "karaoke bars" if they are lookers....

The Uighurs are a persecuted minority, but there is no reason to automatically assume that this group are real refugees. Unless they ask for protection from the Thai gov't or the UNHCR, they could be simply be illegal migrants . At a minimum, their situation should be reviewed by the UN prior to being returned to China.

I don't know that China would prevent them from leaving legally for Turkey. I don't know if Turkey would give them a visa, however.

• Like 1

I don't know that China would prevent them from leaving legally for Turkey

China is terrified of them getting a 'voice' and international recognition of their oppression. Look at the brutal suppression of their protests two or three years ago where the dead were cremated on the spot. These people were heading for something better than life in China anyway.

strange way to go to turkey. north west china>afghanistan> iran> turkey. or even china>.pakistan>iran>turkey for the feint hearted. theses are muslims transiting muslim countries surely a mecca pilgram excuse would get them through?

perhaps they are doing illegal border crossings because china wont give them passports/visas? that would be persecution that may qualify for asylum, no? they certainly seem to have enough money to go the legal route if it was a viable option for them. something fishy here.

Edited by Cow San Load

Yeah right, they can't speak any Chinese, only Turkic?

I worked in Qinghai and Xingiang for most of the 1980's. The only Chinese (mandarin) speakers were the Beijing-based contractors that I was supervising and most of the local labour that they hired from the penal local colonies. The locals spoke gibberish as far as the contractors were concerned.

There's about 240 identified and distinct Chinese dialects btw.

Edited by NanLaew

strange way to go to turkey. north west china>afghanistan> iran> turkey. or even china>.pakistan>iran>turkey for the feint hearted. theses are muslims transiting muslim countries surely a mecca pilgram excuse would get them through?

perhaps they are doing illegal border crossings because china wont give them passports/visas? that would be persecution that may qualify for asylum, no? they certainly seem to have enough money to go the legal route if it was a viable option for them. something fishy here.

I was working off the north coast of Cuba in 1994 when the Russians decided they weren't going to renew their annual sugar-for-oil trade deal with Castro. I initially thought that floating on a tire inner tube in shark infested waters was a strange way to get from Havana to Miami as well.

Until you encounter it first hand, you can't really appreciate the combination of desperation, human will and strength of character that makes a person commit themselves and their family into the hands of smugglers and [their chosen] God.

• Like 1

I worked in Qinghai and Xingiang for most of the 1980's. The only Chinese (mandarin) speakers were the Beijing-based contractors that I was supervising and most of the local labour that they hired from the penal local colonies. The locals spoke gibberish as far as the contractors were concerned.

I worked in Xinjiang for 2 years. Now, I didn't get all the way down west, but everyone could hold a conversation in mandarin.

Uighurs (weegurs) are serious concern to the Chinese government. they have nascent terrorist cells and political breakaway ambitions that scare the Chinese and even America being that they are Islamic. In fact Uighurs were in Afghanistan with the Taliban. Watch this space.

I recall a couple dozen Uyghurs were incarcerated and tortured at Gitmo but were all released at different times with no charges because no connection could be made that they were motivated by hostility towards the US. They were in Afghanistan getting military training to take back to China to defend their minority population.

Perhaps you could provide details to the contrary, it was some years ago they were finally found host countries and my recollection could be hazy.

How can anyone think 1,027 yuan is 42 grand? UN-fukin-BELIEVABLE!!! They are illegals. Plain and simple. Asylum needs to proved. it should not be given to any Tom, Dick or Harry. Li-tards are ruining the free world.

Whats even more unbelievable is how poor your reading comprehension skills appear to be.

The article clearly indicates 1,027 yuan AND $42,950 US.

When you start spewing about libtards you really need to wipe the spittle off your computer screen occasionally so you can avoid looking like a complete teabagger conservative with a 5th grade education.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

I worked in Xinjiang for 2 years. Now, I didn't get all the way down west, but everyone could hold a conversation in mandarin.

I don't doubt your experience but without knowing when you were there and if you were out in the boonies, I wouldn't be surprised that a lot a mandarin was spoken as Beijing has been sending tens of thousands of 'volunteers' up there, same as Tibet.

We had so many issues with the Chinese translators bullsh!tting us at management meetings, our savvy Rhodesian boss hired some foreign students out of the Beijing Language Institute so we could bring our own interpreters to meetings. We had Swedish, Belgian and Americans that spoke better Chinese than our Chinese contractors bosses. The American guy was called Jim Day and he had been a student for the best part of 8 years and was pretty fluent in about 50 or so dialects. We gave him the moniker "Jim Day: CIA" as we were convinced he was a deep cover spook.

• Like 1

I don't doubt your experience but without knowing when you were there and if you were out in the boonies, I wouldn't be surprised that a lot a mandarin was spoken as Beijing has been sending tens of thousands of 'volunteers' up there, same as Tibet.

We had so many issues with the Chinese translators bullsh!tting us at management meetings, our savvy Rhodesian boss hired some foreign students out of the Beijing Language Institute so we could bring our own interpreters to meetings. We had Swedish, Belgian and Americans that spoke better Chinese than our Chinese contractors bosses. The American guy was called Jim Day and he had been a student for the best part of 8 years and was pretty fluent in about 50 or so dialects. We gave him the moniker "Jim Day: CIA" as we were convinced he was a deep cover spook.

Late 90s.

Yes there was a local dialect of Chinese, but its not as though speaking with mandarin wouldn't get u by. Of course its possible these people lived in some weird enclave away from everyone but I doubt it.

I simply HAD to registar to this forum and post a comment regarding the Uighurs that were found. GOD HELP THESE PEOPLE if they are sent back to China. Nothing short of genocide has been taking place inthe western region where these people have been living for thousands of years. Actually, Islam is not even close to what the majority of these people practice. The majority practice a meditation religion (I forget the name). The majority stand in silent_non_violent opposition to the Chinese government, for they annexed this region a few decades ago, with no regard to the ethnic people who inhabit the area. And now for the horror story: In an effort to quelch the culture and non-conformity to Chinese lack of spirituality, in the late 1980, the Chinese military sent some of their own to "monitor the situation". As a result "thousands, if not hundreds of thousands were taken as political prisoners and prisoners of conscience. The LARGEST CONCENTRATION CAMP ON EARTH exists here. Close to one million people have been exterminated since the late 1980's. The people are exclusively Uighurs." If folks in Thailand haven't heard of these people, you can imagine the effort at secrecy put forth. Ii simply do not know how to write what needs to be said, for I could not sleeep an entire night after reading two reports documenting something I have NEver heard of: organ harvesting. In the mid 1990's, as recounted by docors who have defected to switzerland (I will provide the reference in my next post as it is necessary reading.) A practice began where surgeons in white vans were ordered to execution sites. They were told to wait until they heard the gunshots. They then had to go and retrieve the mortally wounded, but not yet dead prisoner. Then, with no anesticia, organs are "harvested", for they are still living tissue. The liver, kidneys, cornea, but not the heart. The chinese know the exact spot where the bullet hits, the person is numbed by the bullet, but not dead. The live organs are then packed on ice and rushed to market for sale. This practice has been going on for close t ten years. However, months before the Olympics in Beijing, the practice was halted, but resumed after the olympics ended. Doctors visit the prisoners well in advance to choose the healthiest. I am not doing this story justice. When I post the reference articles, please read them. I am a student of World War II history. The Chinese make the Nazis look tame. They are exterminating the Uighurs. Speaking out in anyway is certain imprisonment. Returning this group to China will be certain death.

• Like 2

Www.voa.com searcg for organ harvesting in china

The religion they practice is the Falun Gong

Organharvestinvestigation.net

There are few people who will speak out, even after leaving china for fear for their families...please read these articals. I am very news savvy and thought myself abreast of world news. Until I read this. Forgive me, but I believe we (USA) should invoke the wrath on china, but we are in too deep. Even the nutcase in North Korea doesn't top this story. The Chinese government is a soulless entity. I will forever see China differently......

The Uighurs are a persecuted minority, but there is no reason to automatically assume that this group are real refugees. Unless they ask for protection from the Thai gov't or the UNHCR, they could be simply be illegal migrants . At a minimum, their situation should be reviewed by the UN prior to being returned to China.

I don't know that China would prevent them from leaving legally for Turkey. I don't know if Turkey would give them a visa, however.

Based upon past ethnic Chinese "refugees"/ migrants, we know that;

1. Thailand will resist allowing the UNHCR involvement.

2, China will insist that they be returned to China.

3. Turkey will consider offering asylum, once the story hits Turkish news media and pressure builds. In fairness to Turkey, it has been rather compassionate on this issue and has shown far greater leadership than other muslim countries, particularly in the Arab world. My personal feeling is that there is some prejudice at play because these people are not considered "real" muslims by some countries.

• Like 1