Broadcom Bluetooth 370 Minicard in Windows 8.1

hml367

I have a Dell Studio XPS 1645 purchased in Thailand. When purchased it had Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and the Bluetooth radio is Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth minicard, which I believe is a Broadcom 370 Bluetooth minicard.

Bluetooth worked fine when I was running Windows 7. Now I have upgraded to Windows 8 and now to Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.

This computer I use hardwired internet from a router, so I hardly used WiFi and Bluetooth almost never. However, I had used Bluetooth, so I know it worked in Windows 7. Now, with Windows 8, I want to use Bluetooth but it does not show in Device Manager. Also, when I switch the Bluetooth radio on at the laptop, the Bluetooth light shows and then disappears.

I did manually run a firmware update for the Bluetooth radio. After running that it still does not show in Device Manager.

When I turn on the Bluetooth radio on the laptop, then open Bluetooth on my Windows Phone, the Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard shows up on the Windows Phone. It tires to connect, then changes to cannot connect.

I have looked on the internet and apparently this is a problem with this combination. Anyone know what I could try to fix this?

I actually found the answer in the Dell forums. The query word order and which words give different results, which I then found a way for my problem to be solved. It could be different depending on the persons hardware and exact problem.

For me:

Dell Studio XPS 1645, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit, I don't think this would effect it but I also have the Media Center, Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard. Originally the computer had Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

The problem I had is in the original post.

The solution that worked for me:

Download and install from Lenovo web site the Broadcom Bluetooth driver 4.0. This made the Bluetooth show up in Device Manager. Maybe everything would have been ok at that point but I decided to then install the Windows 8/8.1 update from the Broadcom web site. Now it works.

I thought in Windows 7, once I switched the radios on (WiFi and Bluetooth are on the same on/off switch) that both the WiFi and Bluetooth indicator lights stayed on - maybe not. In Windows 8.1 the WiFi indicator light stays on but the Bluetooth indicator light is on immediately after switching the radio on, then it goes out. However, as long as the settings allow it, the Bluetooth is discoverable.

Working so far to transfer between my Windows Phone and my Studio XPS.

Edited by hml367

My problem, Chicog, was that nothing showed in Device Manager for any Bluetooth adapter so I was not able to update a driver. I had the install program from Broadcom, but it would give a message to plugin or install an adapter. I had to get the Bluetooth adapter to show in Device Manager before I could do anything. Apparently the Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard is one that had big problems with Windows 8.

I am just happy I got it sorted. Of course after I posted (I mean almost immediately after!) I found something that worked. I found it by rearranging the wording in my internet search.

My problem, Chicog, was that nothing showed in Device Manager for any Bluetooth adapter so I was not able to update a driver. I had the install program from Broadcom, but it would give a message to plugin or install an adapter. I had to get the Bluetooth adapter to show in Device Manager before I could do anything. Apparently the Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard is one that had big problems with Windows 8.

I am just happy I got it sorted. Of course after I posted (I mean almost immediately after!) I found something that worked. I found it by rearranging the wording in my internet search.

You don't need to see it in Device manager to download a driver, as I said SlimDrivers will do it, and you found a direct link anyway.

In extreme cases (old hardware), I've sometimes resorted to using Unknown Device Identifier, which often gives you enough info about the exact hardware installed to allow you to make an educated search for a driver.

I reread your post, Chicog... I hope I can remember the tool you refer to if I ever need it. Thanks!

I did have the driver.... Until I got the Lenovo Installer, the other driver installers did not find a device to install the driver to.

The Bluetooth adapter was not an Unknown Device... it was not listed anywhere.

Edited by hml367

I reread your post, Chicog... I hope I can remember the tool you refer to if I ever need it. Thanks!

I did have the driver.... Until I got the Lenovo Installer, the other driver installers did not find a device to install the driver to.

Was it not listed in Device Manager with no description?

No it was not listed at all in Device Manager. This particular hardware, among others, apparently has that problem. I found many things on the internet and also many solutions. Not the same solution for each person.

If it had been in Device Manager as an Unknown Device, things probably would have been a lot easier.

Another quirky thing is my Windows Phone detected the adapter, but it could not connect, presumably because I did not have any interface to configure Bluetooth settings.

Again, it is strange because the Broadcom installer could not find the adapter, but Lenovo's installer did. And Lenovo's installer installed the same version of the driver, I believe. It was very close in version number anyway. I had already deleted the version I tried that was close, so I could not check exactly.

Not even under - View - Show Hidden Devices ??

Not even under - View - Show Hidden Devices ??

You got me there! I never tried that. Probably would have saved me a day and a half of work... Thank you again for another knowledgeable reply. You have helped me before, and now you have hopefully taught me another valuable lesson.

Edited by hml367

• 5 months later...

i am having the same problem - as i turn on my bluetooth, bluetooth light shows but disappears after few seconds. Please help

My experience is that the Bluetooth light shows up when a device connects. Then, depending on the type of device, the light (or more correctly, the light showing an active connection) may stay on or go off.

For me, I am using Bluetooth with a WindowsPhone. When I turn on Bluetooth, the light comes on then goes off. As long as I have "paired" the WindowsPhone in the past, Bluetooth will activate when a file is being transferred from the WindowsPhone. WindowsPhone that I have does not allow transferring TO the phone over Bluetooth - it must be hardwired. At least that is how it works on my setup and what I use the Bluetooth for.

I have used Bluetooth to transfer between 2 laptops and Bluetooth stayed active, or at least activated when anything was transferring.

If I have Bluetooth in the Device Manager, then there should be a Bluetooth icon somewhere (Control Panel or in the Program list). Windows 7 and 8 you can search for Bluetooth. I open the Bluetooth icon and there is a Bluetooth control panel which will show devices and activity.

Also, in Windows 8, Bluetooth will show on the Tiles screen much easier than in the Desktop in my experience. Information on Bluetooth is available there if the device is working properly.

So what it seems like to me is that in my Windows 8.1, the Bluetooth indicator light does not work the same (which may mean the radios also) as WiFi. If I have WiFi open the indicator is lit the whole time. If I use Bluetooth (one button turns on WiFi and Bluetooth on my computers) then the Bluetooth indicator only lights upon connecting (I think they used to call this a "handshake")

Edited by hml367

it is showing a yellow mark on Bluetooth remote control in human interface devices in device manager

That usually indicates an issue with the device or device driver.

What happens when you double-click it?

Have you tried visiting the manufacturer of your computer to see if they have driver updates for your exact model, or Chicago's favorite site: SlimDrivers