Phuket: Chinese tourist dies snorkelling off Racha Yai

Lite Beer

Phuket: Chinese tourist dies snorkelling off Racha Yai
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Chinese tourist Ting Hong, 29, died while on a snorkelling trip off Racha Yai yesterday (April 19) around 3pm after she was found lifeless in the water.

Police said around 30 European and Chinese tourists were on the boat which left Chalong at around 9am for Racha Yai on a one day snorkelling trip.

At around 11.30am, when the party had arrived at Racha, a man from another boat spotted Miss Ting floating facedown in the water, far from the other tourists. She was unconscious and taken to shore.

A nurse at the Racha hotel offered help but Miss Ting died. Her body was taken to Vachira Hospital.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-chinese-tourist-dies-snorkelling-off-racha-yai-45782.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-20

Puket is cursed

Should be renamed the Island of death. Every day no matter the season visitors die, raped, kidnapped, drowned, stabbed. What a bulshit place that is. I've been there it's a nightmare, parked at the beach with my family. Someone broke in my car stole our passports, cash, phones. Charged us double every were we bought stuff. ....shitty est vacation ever.....screw Puket...

Quite an exaggeration - every day 'visitors die, raped, kidnapped, drowned, stabbed'. I don't think every day. Don't know about your car parking, maybe you left everything on display. I have never had my car broken into in 18 years of living and parking here, mind you I never leave passport or cash in the car.

• Like 1

Phuket may have it's problems, but I don't believe breaking into cars is a common occurrence here.

I've never had mine broken into either.

As for being charged double for every item you shopped for, you are definitely doing something wrong in your travel methods.

RIP to the unfortunate Chinese tourist who probably didn't know how to swim.

I was glad to see lifeguards on the beach today at Nai Harn even though it is the start of low season. (even though there were no waves today)
I hope they are there throughout.

• Like 1

" She was unconscious and taken to shore. .... .... .... A nurse at the Racha hotel offered help "

Very sad, IF the Newspaper is painting a correct sequence, apparently no-one on the boat had the skills to administer CPR.

and if that were so, shame on the tour guide, on the tour operator, the hotel management, the boat owners, the boat driver and whoever is supposed to supervise and license the activity.

Edited by KKr