The White Walled Torture Compound in Kanchanaburi

JusMe

I've just finished watching the powerful film, The Railway Man. Very strong production.

I've also read the book, and have spent many many days around Kanchanaburi and up at Hellfire Pass.

I knew Bill Slape, and I've spent time in the Thai-Burma Railway Museum as well as the other sites around there.

But I have never seen the white walled torture compound that was shown in the film, and it appeared to be a museum location supposedly in Kancha.

Anyone have any info about that?

The only one that I know of outside of Kan Town could be

Ban Kao National Museum in Kanchanaburi

During the construction of the infamous ‘Death Railway,’ a Dutch prisoner of war discovered a burial site which historians later deemed to contain items dating back to Neolithic times. Situated around 22 miles (35kms) from the town centre, the Ban Kao Museum was built close to the original site and now houses many of the items found. Visitors are able to view pots and other earthenware items, remains of tools and weapons, jewellery fashioned from the bone of animals and human skeletal remains.

Discovered by Dr. Van Hickderen, a Dutch prisoner of WWII war.

Win wai.gif

I have been waiting for it to come on the cinema in CM but I suppose it will be banned here to avoid upsetting the japanese with all that lovely money

I don't think it will be banned here. It is shown as a "coming attraction" here in Phuket

I have been waiting for it to come on the cinema in CM but I suppose it will be banned here to avoid upsetting the japanese with all that lovely money

Opening on Thursday 24th April at SF Cinema City. (Trailer in link)

Looks like it might be kept in English but with Thai substhumbsup.gif

JusMe posted "But I have never seen the white walled torture compound that was shown in the film, and it appeared to be a museum location supposedly in Kancha.

Anyone have any info about that?"

The outside shots were filmed at the old paper factory near the main police station in town. The inside of the museum footage were not filmed in the 2 weeks they were in Kanchanaburi of May/June 2012.