My Thai wife doesn't like Thailand

tool84

I wonder if there are a lot like her she actually prefers Canada, even cold winter to hot and humid weather. It's been a few years and still don't mind winter which amazes me. She doesn't like how Thais behave, the old style Chinese mentality of her family, she doesn't have much good to say about Thailand for that matter.

What about your wife that moved abroad, does she like her new country more than Thailand after living there?

• Like 2

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be a lucky guy to have a wife like that.

Most thais living abroad only put up with living there because of monetary reasons.

Probably your wife has a strong mindset and there are, most likely, not to many thais living in your area to influence her.

Good luck !

• Like 1

I have met many Thai people in the US, mostly LA and Fl.

They are for the most part, VERY happy to be here, and I have always encountered the same smiling, happy faces, and have yet to hear anything bad about any of them here in the US, ie., not involved inillegal activty,

mostly in restaraunts, real massage houses, (although the others have sprung up in quiet, low trafficked strip malls with their windows blacked out and the entrances in the back)

without a doubt, they come here for the money,

they stay, for the lifestyle provided

• Like 1

I lived in Canada and overseas with my Thai husband for many years but have recently moved to Thailand. We both miss Canada very much and yes, he prefers Canadian weather to Thai weather (as do I) among other things. They are two very different lifestyles- hard to say which one is better.

Many of the Thais I’ve met who have lived abroad say they miss certain aspects of the North American or European lifestyle but enjoy being back with their friends and family. It really depends on the individual and what their circumstances were in Thailand and how they compare to their current situation abroad.

Out of curiosity, if both you and your husband prefer Canada over Thailand, than why are you both here?

I met my Thai wife in the States, she worked for a well known cosmetic company. We were married and later moved to the UK. After I suggested we both with our children come and live in Thailand, she couldn`t wait to get back here quick enough. She missed everything about Thailand, her family, the way of life and has since never had any desires to leave Thailand again.

In the UK I got her parents over for a 6 month holiday, after 3 months they decided England was not for them and returned back to Chiang Mai. Missed their pets and having some decent living space.

I'm in the same boat, my Thai prefers Canada and wishes to return, the topic comes up at least once a day. I haven't been able to figure out why the sudden dislike for Thailand. In all the time abroad we've travelled back and forth a few times a year so we were able to keep up with the change, it's being here full time that has caused the problem. It's much more than the TV topics discussed here daily.

The decision to locate here was based on aging parents and our early retirement, I was well aware the transition would be difficult after being abroad for many years, however, I didn't think it would still be on topic after nearly 15 months.

I think one issue is the earning power back home offers security, we earned in a day what would be a decent monthly salary here. I also believe there was added comfort in Canada as we welcome immigrants and the "cultural mosaic" mentality allows them to be held in high regard as a Thai Canadian not only in the mainstream community but also the Asian community.

The local Thai community was very small but they were there for each other with support and friendship, the calls back home now are more frequent than meeting new friends here. The ones we know back home all talk the talk about someday returning but I'm not convinced they will actually move back, they are all living comfortably and raising their families.

Our intent was always to spend a few months back in Canada and the UK and the remainder of the year here, however family commitments and other events have limited our travel. I'm not naive to say residing here is forever, our mutual happiness is paramount, if and when it becomes too much on our relationship I'll be packing the bags, I just pray it's not mid January and twenty below back home smile.png

Waiting for it to get worse before you act, sounds like what I did with my last wife,

recipe for disaster, not being proactive when the writing is on the wall.

get out while you can, of be prepared from unexpected fallout.

if she misses the world of the west and you dont take her back, watch out when she snaps, as, they all will at some point when every other subtle hint has been ignored

I'm on a road trip in the US right now. I stopped for lunch at a Thai restaurant in a small and rural town in Western cattle and wheat country.

The Thai owners had been there for about 20 years and wouldn't go back to Thailand. Maybe it's just because their restaurant is obviously very successful, but I don't think so. They like it here for themselves.

I took a cell phone shot down the street just because my mind was whirling with what the differences were for them, even in a dumpy, far rural Western town in the US.

- There wasn't a jumble of overhead wires. Most are underground.

- The was no clutter on the sidewalks. It's not only the law, but it's cultural. It's rude to block wheelchairs and even just people trying to walk along.

- There was absolutely no litter. If there was, a good citizen would pick it up.

- Any food carts were in parking lots out of the way of foot and vehicle traffic. Those would be mostly hot dog carts.

- There is clean safe water to every home and business, and sewage is piped to the local sewage plant.

- Traffic was moving smoothly and sanely and obeying stop signs and lights. Drivers were courteous.

I could go on, but those Thais like it.

Nothing fancy here:

attachicon.gifIMG_3.jpg

I am going to now go to my local Thai restaurant, and greet them with my first Sewadee Krup, and see how they react.

They have known me 15 years, and I have never mentioned anything about Thailand, until 15 min from now

• Like 1

I am going to now go to my local Thai restaurant, and greet them with my first Sewadee Krup, and see how they react

'll probably think you're talking about the drains if you say it like that.....

MOTHER of all BLASPHEMY!!

my favorite Thai retaurant was closed for Easter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

A Thai friend asked me about my years in Thailand! Not wanting to hurt her feelings or be rude I made some platitudes then quickly turned a question to her. This Thai friend who has lived in my home country for fifteen or so years replied to the question, "why has she lived so long here without going back to Thailand", with, 'because it's civilised here' And I didn't want to be rude by saying a similar thing!

• Like 1

You might want to travel with her to some of the less fortunate places then Thailand and let her see the full spectrum of life. I tend to look at those with less, rather then more then me.

I'm on a road trip in the US right now. I stopped for lunch at a Thai restaurant in a small and rural town in Western cattle and wheat country.

The Thai owners had been there for about 20 years and wouldn't go back to Thailand. Maybe it's just because their restaurant is obviously very successful, but I don't think so. They like it here for themselves.

I took a cell phone shot down the street just because my mind was whirling with what the differences were for them, even in a dumpy, far rural Western town in the US.

- The was no clutter on the sidewalks. It's not only the law, but it's cultural. It's rude to block wheelchairs and even just people trying to walk along.

- There was absolutely no litter. If there was, a good citizen would pick it up.

- Any food carts were in parking lots out of the way of foot and vehicle traffic. Those would be mostly hot dog carts.

- There is clean safe water to every home and business, and sewage is piped to the local sewage plant.

- Traffic was moving smoothly and sanely and obeying stop signs and lights. Drivers were courteous.

Nothing fancy here:

attachicon.gifIMG_3.jpg

Very different look...quite sterile.

But I do like the no power lines

• Like 1

Nothing fancy here:

attachicon.gifIMG_3.jpg

Look quick because 97% of US has overhead power lines.

Food and family are the main things she would miss

Rest she can take or leave. Likes cold weather, proper gourmet supermarkets, clean streets and parks and semi hygienic public transport. And police and public services which are at least not openly corrupt

Conversely Thailand is better for me constitution wise anyway

Nothing fancy here:

attachicon.gifIMG_3.jpg

Look quick because 97% of US has overhead power lines.

but they arent hanging down on the sidewalks ready to strangle people

• Like 2

I think there is quite a lot of red tape in Thailand compared to Canada, she has a binder full of copies of every documents possible in Thailand vs don't needing much in Canada. Opening a business is more straightforward and require less paperwork in Canada vs Thailand if you want to open a registered company. Thailand is really not efficient on red tape issues.

• Like 1

That's why all the rich Thai people want to live in the West...... Oh wait? They don't. I wonder why? Let me re state that all the rich old people from Thailand want to retire to the West...... Oh wait. They don't. I wonder why?

But the education is so much better in the West. The current Thai political leaders were educated in the UK and USA. And look at what a good job they are doing. blink.png

Edited by thailiketoo

My wife wants to leave (again). We lived in Singapore and the US for many years soon after we got married. She hated Singapore for the first months, but now misses it terribly. She deplores the lack of transparency, efficiency, general honesty, and constantly lowering of standards here. The business we run is hampered by many clients that don't care about quality and others who want kick-backs which we walk away from.

I just promised that as and when we cash out, we will leave. Much as I love traveling around Thailand, working here has lost its appeal and given its impact on my marriage, I can see going from being permanently here to just a few months a year...

• Like 2

That's why all the rich Thai people want to live in the West...... Oh wait? They don't. I wonder why? Let me re state that all the rich old people from Thailand want to retire to the West...... Oh wait. They don't. I wonder why?

But the education is so much better in the West. The current Thai political leaders were educated in the UK and USA. And look at what a good job they are doing. blink.png

but they all send their kids to America and Europe to school

GEE I WONDER WHY

• Like 1

Checks and balances TLT.

but they all send their kids to America and Europe to school

GEE I WONDER WHY

That's what I wrote. So they will grow up like the current leaders of the country who were educated in the UK and USA. They are doing such a good job. Anyone can see that a good education has made all the difference.