How would you change things here?

roguewo

I would ban all whistles , security guards and police will no longer be able to blast away.

I would ban all tuk tuks, make em illegal, cultural you may argue, but so was cannibalism.

and whinging farang, who are all bent out of shape mentally , also farang wearing sandals

with long socks, they should be made to wear a compulsory shirt reading,

Good for ATM purposes only.....beat me, whip me, make me write bad cheques

my god, I have seen the socks in the sandals,

it is a scourage

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would ban all whistles , security guards and police will no longer be able to blast away.

I would ban all tuk tuks, make em illegal, cultural you may argue, but so was cannibalism.

and whinging farang, who are all bent out of shape mentally , also farang wearing sandals

with long socks, they should be made to wear a compulsory shirt reading,

Good for ATM purposes only.....beat me, whip me, make me write bad cheques

I wonder if the whistle gang knows, they do not help people park, someone should tell them, they are a major distraction, and even the dogs hate them

I can see for a bus, to park tightly, but for little cars too?

Edited by Scarpolo

I don't think anything needs to be changed. If you don't like the place warts and all you know where the airport is.

there are uncivilized member of African tribus that may sign your post if someone should taught they to write

everywhere in the world there are things that should be changed ( to change may mean to improve ), if you are not able to see it here perhaps you are blind or you got a rapture

This post isn't about people of color, or people who can't write, or even racism. If you can't make a positive contribution, muster the wisdom to not to make a negative one. wai.gif

you didn't get it, did you?

probably you also get along with all here

While I have ben in Thailand, I have always tried to consider the wages of people.

At first I did not tip people, but now I have learned it is a good way to contribute to the country.

I learned this mostly as my own income and assets failed me.

If I give a taxi driver some little extra I know it goes to his family.

We are used to tipping in restaurants and so on, but this is not the margin that counts.

I learned to tip in the men's toilet to the lady who swishes around after you,

and the sentry below our condominium who gets 350 baht a day.

100 baht to me is $NZ4, and it is a small price.

Multiplied by several over the week well it can come to maybe $NZ40 or so,

that's how I contribute to Thailand

I don't think anything needs to be changed. If you don't like the place warts and all you know where the airport is.

there are uncivilized member of African tribus that may sign your post if someone should taught they to write

everywhere in the world there are things that should be changed ( to change may mean to improve ), if you are not able to see it here perhaps you are blind or you got a rapture

This post isn't about people of color, or people who can't write, or even racism. If you can't make a positive contribution, muster the wisdom to not to make a negative one. wai.gif

you didn't get it, did you?

probably you also get along with all here

Actually, I didn't get it.

I've been running on 3.5 hours of sleep for the past few days, and after reading so many negative posts, well....sorry.gif

Most people who actually meet me, do like me.

• Like 1

Corruption has to go.

It is the single most dominant factor in day to day life in Thailand.

From people dying on bikes with no licences, to paying tea money for schools, to paying under the table for this or that and on and on.

Eventually, the system will implode if it isn't rolled back.

corruption will never go, it exists in every country (to varying degrees, generally highly correlated to economic development)... it will decline over time in line with better wages for police / government workers / etc... and the process could of course been helped by non-corrupt political leader/party but not much hope of that in thailand anytime soon

Of course, it can't go 100%.

But if you take the attitude that it must go, it reduces itself. It really is hard to see how much corruption there is until you leave.

It is I think virtually impossible to live and work long term in thailand and not engage in stuff you wouldn't dare do at home.

That is the falangs. Just imagine how bad it is among the Thais.

• Like 1

I can see by the few post you have made that maybe your only new here or inexperienced with Thailand

Or you could be like me, I lived in Thailand for over 7 years and Asia for 12. Since have gone home I travel to Thailand back and forth couldn't tell you how many times due to my wife's family and I love Thailand.

I'm coming back early next month on another 5 year contract with a company so I've only posted few times here as I have been a reader, since I am coming back I thought I would be more involved here. But I don't think you have the experience as most of us have here because you would have never posted this.

I'm not saying its wrong or bad post. I can see what you are trying to say but never going to work, for all the reasons you can see here from all of us. I know, you know, how this would turn out as you tried to cover all bases before we got the topic.

I will say it this way to you "THIS IS AUSTRALIA" and I don't give a toss what you think, where your from, who you think you are, you want to come and live here be apart of us assimilate with us. Believe what you want, do what you want, live how you want, say what you want, be everything you want to be. I don't give a shit I have all the freedom you want, and good on you for whatever.

But don't try to change me, make me smarter, better, happier, richer, take over, or try to make me abide by your rules and regulations, but most importantly your culture. Hey are we perfect no, everything we do is right no, do we have all the answers no, is there no corruption no, is everyone smart and have the perfect education are we all perfect no.

All I will say this when you come to Thailand to live, your choice, enjoy their culture, understand their life style and ideas no way you can change them we don't have the power here anyway to make the change plus if every country was the same boring boring and boring. That's what makes it so interesting and exciting "Welcome to Thailand"

You missed the point of the thread.

Thai's themselves want change and are a nation divided. How and why it's been divided is another topic.

While the country is in a state of flux, the OP was a general question about how to make it better for ourselves, and for the Thai's.

What's wrong with wanting to own a small piece of land without putting it in another's name?

Or a business where you don't need to staff any more than you really need?

Or a visa system that didn't milk you for money every time you turned around?

(and killed/maimed/scared the <deleted> out of people)

These are the questions of reasonable people.

Personally, and I don't say this as a slight to the Thai's, if the expat 'community' had the opportunity to do more things, the actions of 'community' would make a positive contribution to Thailand. (I use the word 'community' loosely)

Corruption has to go.

From people dying on bikes with no licences, to paying tea money for schools, to paying under the table for this or that and on and on.

corruption will never go, it exists in every country (to varying degrees, generally highly correlated to economic development)... it will decline over time in line with better wages for police / government workers / etc... and the process could of course been helped by non-corrupt political leader/party but not much hope of that in thailand anytime soon

But if you take the attitude that it must go, it reduces itself. It really is hard to see how much corruption there is until you leave.

It is I think virtually impossible to live and work long term in thailand and not engage in stuff you wouldn't dare do at home.

Yes, they get it too! But it's not quite as bad, and they have more opportunities and scratch each others backs when in a pinch. I've got stories, but they are family, and off limits.

I'm a guest in LoS, not a citizen, so I cannot and shall not change anthing...

How will you like to see foreigners, not citizens, change your country...?

We are not guests in this country, we are just tolerated because we buy houses ( not in our name) spend a fortune on visa runs, bring a lot of money into the country etc etc etc.

Ans some of us are even capable to produce little brown and good looking babies.Some of them make it to Miss Thailand/ Universe.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

I'd get rid of all the farang entitlement queens who think that just because they've got 800,000Bt in the bank that the whole country ought to revolve around their personal preferences coffee1.gif

Actually I would just increase the financial requirements and make them lodge a bond with the government, so if hitting hard times in Thailand the cash can be used to repatriate them back to their own counties

I'm glad per post #104 that most people who meet the OP-guy in person tend to like him. But when one feels the need to write in the opening post "Let's try to keep this positive", I detect a possible personality flaw.

I'm glad per post #104 that most people who meet the OP-guy in person tend to like him. But when one feels the need to write in the opening post "Let's try to keep this positive", I detect a possible personality flaw.

You seem to enjoy attacking people, and that could be indicative of a personality flaw.

Without meeting you, asking you specific questions and observing your behavior over a period of time, there's no way for me to tell if you're a sadist.

Without you have an education in psychology and interviewing me, there's no way you could make the claim you've made here.

So my 'let's try to keep this positive's statement was made because I know what kind of toxic crabby people some of the people here are. Some of the offtopic.gif posts to this thread prove it, including yours.

Corruption has to go.

yes obviously there is more corruption in thailand (and generally other developing countries) than in england (and generally other developed countries)

as with other problems like education, road safety, crime, pollution, public health care, etc, there will be no quick fix but general improvement over time in line with economic development

You seem to enjoy attacking people, and that could be indicative of a personality flaw.

Without meeting you, asking you specific questions and observing your behavior over a period of time, there's no way for me to tell if you're a sadist.

Without you have an education in psychology and interviewing me, there's no way you could make the claim you've made here.

So my 'let's try to keep this positive's statement was made because I know what kind of toxic crabby people some of the people here are. Some of the offtopic.gif posts to this thread prove it, including yours.

If you have to say let's keep this positive you've already lost this crowd. Maybe next time think things out a little clearer before you start your online group therapy session.

If you have to say let's keep this positive you've already lost this crowd. Maybe next time think things out a little clearer before you start your online group therapy session.

It wasn't a therapy session. It was an attempt at collective intellectual thought to improve lives, in a think tank manner. That may have been where I lost you.

Edited by roguewo

Rogue,

How do you think the opinions of the inmates at the Hanoi Hilton during the Vietnam war would have been received by the jailers or what would the inmates have said if one of them asked the others for ideas for improvements?

It's not that we are captive here but the Thai authorities have no interest in our opinions. Actually less than no interest. If that is possible.

Edited by thailiketoo

Being of a more practical bent I would

1. make defensive driving courses mandatory before licensing and any tickets issued would require a defensive driving course. 20,000 - 50,000 killed on the highways every year.

2. Get stray dogs off the streets. I believe it is a health issue - rabies and dog feces can be harmful.

3. Enforced cleanliness standards in public markets. Let's not talk about sanitary but rather clean and neat. Reasons are this would be good for all including merchants. More and more people will shop at Lotus, Makro and Big C just because they are clean and neat.

4. Public swimming pools as a priority - not temples and other useless expenditures obvious in every town. Recreation for children should take a much higher priority and the children that do swim seem to have quite a natural ability.

5. English books for school children written in English not Thai. The Chinese have mandated English in every grade because they know which way the world is going. There are thousands of English immersion schools in China. Some of the students can enter directly into Universities in North America without any additional testing.

6. These 5 items would make Thailand more liveable for Thais and foreigners alike and should be easy to implement. Governments are more likely to implement items that cost them the least.

These suggestions are very goody but I think you might be downplaying the expense.

For example, to reduce class sizes of 50+ students you would need to more than double the amount of teachers and build

hundreds if not thousands more schools.

Where I come from, Vancouver schools are decades behind earthquake proofing existing schools, let alone building new.

Hispanics number 53 million in America ....that's 17% http://www.infoplease.com/spot/hhmcensus1.html

Expats living in Thailand ....maybe 200,000 (Wikipedia) and tourists approx 2 million each year and growing

Your comparison has no merit as does your thought that a few hundred thousand expats could alter the course of Thailand....as said before much NEEDS to be done ....BUT getting the Thai government to do it.....well its depends on who's in control and how much they can put in their pockets.

Sorry its not on the positive note you want .....but reality is reality

Given your number of 53 million is a census polling, think that number is much greater with maybe at least 30 million illegals with either no papers or fake identities (barred from being profiled) (but the fake identity population will be mixed in with the census poll). But...the US Gov (outside the public eye) including State & local; corporations, media, businesses & churches welcome them arms wide. The Gov crackdown is a sham for the rest of the sheep.

In contrast, Thailand, an illegal foreigner will be heavily fined or jailed and/or deported or banished. Here we are not welcome, as we have to either, jump thru many hoops with immigration or pay a third party a thousand USD a year to stay without dealing with immigration. Things to change are no change because they will never be change. We are only tolerated as long as we spend. Pollution galore, burning fires, whether agriculture, backyard shrubbery or front yard trash, double standard commerce bordering on racism & forever endless greed. It is the culture of this country and culture never changes.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Corruption has to go.

yes obviously there is more corruption in thailand (and generally other developing countries) than in england (and generally other developed countries)

as with other problems like education, road safety, crime, pollution, public health care, etc, there will be no quick fix but general improvement over time in line with economic development

If there were less corruption the really smart kids would get A grades, not all.and sundry. If there were less corruption there would be less uninsured and unlicensed drivers on the road, if there was less corruption doctors bills and medicines would be prescribed properly and not so wastefully, less corruption better coppers, less corruption less pollution.

Corruption is THE universal problem.

Yep !

Hispanics and the Black population are doing "wonderfully " well

Read this !

http://www.epi.org/publication/unemployment-rates-whites-latinos-african-americans/

I appreciate your comment, and the article. Sadly, it's not exactly a fair world anywhere.

This post is about, relevant, fairness for expats here, considering the Thai nationals are currently fighting for, relevant, fairness for themselves.

If you knew you could fail in making this place better, what would you change? smile.png

Make all candy peppermint and cinnamon.

If there were less corruption the really smart kids would get A grades, not all.and sundry. If there were less corruption there would be less uninsured and unlicensed drivers on the road, if there was less corruption doctors bills and medicines would be prescribed properly and not so wastefully, less corruption better coppers, less corruption less pollution.

Corruption is linked with many of Thailand's problems but it is not the root cause of all Thailand's problems... it is as much as a symptom of other problems (e.g. low education standards and wages for public sector workers) as it is a cause of such problems.

Corruption can not be fixed without also improving education and public sector wages (and many other issues which generally depend far more on economic development such as providing all people with honest opportunities for creating wealth through hard work or entrepreneurship).

Obviously it is sensible to take steps to try to address corruption directly but it is dangerous to assume corruption is the source of all Thailand's problems or (more importantly) that there is some kind of quick fix to corruption (which can be solved by a few pieces of paper), regardless of what certain (corrupt) "political" activists say.

Corruption is linked with many of Thailand's problems but it is not the root cause of all Thailand's problems... it is as much as a symptom of other problems (e.g. low education standards and wages for public sector workers) as it is a cause of such problems.

Corruption can not be fixed without also improving education and public sector wages (and many other issues which generally depend far more on economic development such as providing all people with honest opportunities for creating wealth through hard work or entrepreneurship).

Obviously it is sensible to take steps to try to address corruption directly but it is dangerous to assume corruption is the source of all Thailand's problems or (more importantly) that there is some kind of quick fix to corruption (which can be solved by a few pieces of paper), regardless of what certain (corrupt) "political" activists say.

Wow, I never looked at it that way at all,

now that you mention it,

trash collection in NYC was much better when the mafia ran it.

same with the luggage handling at JFK airport

in fact., before they put John Gotti in prison, the Exctasy was pure and cheap

you are right, corruption is not the problem in thailand at all

Edited by Scarpolo

Wow, I never looked at it that way at all,

now that you mention it,

trash collection in NYC was much better when the mafia ran it.

same with the luggage handling at JFK airport

in fact., before they put John Gotti in prison, the Exctasy was pure and cheap

you are right, corruption is not the problem in thailand at all

there obviously isn't anything desirable about corruption but it's not the underlying root cause of all thailand's other problems... and it's not something that can simply be "fixed" independent of other issues

if you look at various corruption index of countries around the world, you will see a big negative correlation between corruption and economic development (and similarly you can see a positive correlation between economic development and education standards, healthcare standards, etc)