How would you change things here?

roguewo

Yeah I know, first post.

Normally, I sit back and watch the toxic rockets fly on this site, but it is a good source of information, and I'm hoping to draw upon the collective intelligence of said population.

That being said, I have watched the quest for justice being demanded by the Thai population. (let's not make this a red shirt vs. yellow shirt thread, or a Taksin/PTP/Suthep thread either) and I am of the belief that if you want justice/fairness for yourself, you can't as good upstanding Buddhist/human being, not want it for others. That is not what Buddha would want, or reasonable, fair and intelligent people would want.

Before I get down to the specifics of the question, I'll share some thoughts.

In the US there is a large Hispanic community united by language and status as immigrants. Through sweat and toil, and being united, they have made their situation better.

I believe that if we united as expats, because of expat status, it's possible, we could make our situation better.

So, after the preamble; what would you do to change things here?

I don't mean to turn this into another country, or a police state/nanny state. I mean how would you change the existing environment for the better, for us, and for Thai nationals?

Just to get things off to a good start, here are a few topics too consider;

How would you change the land ownership laws, and why?

How would you change the business/investment laws, and why?

How would you change the immigration laws, and why?

How would you change the educational system, and why?

How would you change the court system, and why?

What would you do to make Thailand less corrupt? (the question, 'why' needs not be asked)

This is just a start, so if you have a topic that you want to add, do so. I'm asking 'open-ended' questions (no, not that open end) so consider this a canvas where you can be creative, and dream.

As I draw the post to a close, a few things;

I know that 30% of the readers here are Thai nationals, so please contribute. If your contribution is, 'we don't want you here', simply state that, and state that you are a Thai national.

If you have a Thai partner/spouse, what are their thoughts on this topic? Would they support a more fair environment for all persons, regardless of nationality/color/religion?

Even the most fervent Thai members of my family tell me; 'system Thailand, not good'

If you are a sideline surfer, as I was, I will be posting this topic on other forums over the coming week, so just look around.

Lastly, nobody's perfect, but let's try to keep this positive anyway. Let your heart and your head, guide your fingers...

Rogue

• Like 2

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hispanic comment was simply an example. 330 million in the US vs. 70 million or so here. I'm sure the ratio works out. Do you have a positive contribution to make? I'm taking a poll!

If you are taking a poll where is it? Normally when a poll is added to a thread it appears at the top?

Hispanics number 53 million in America ....that's 17% http://www.infoplease.com/spot/hhmcensus1.html

Expats living in Thailand ....maybe 200,000 (Wikipedia) and tourists approx 2 million each year and growing

Your comparison has no merit as does your thought that a few hundred thousand expats could alter the course of Thailand....as said before much NEEDS to be done ....BUT getting the Thai government to do it.....well its depends on who's in control and how much they can put in their pockets.

Sorry its not on the positive note you want .....but reality is reality

• Like 1

I don't think anything needs to be changed. If you don't like the place warts and all you know where the airport is.

I knew I'd get the 'don't let the airport hit you in the arse' comment, but you forgot to mention if you are Thai or not. Thanks for your positive contribution. smile.png

The Hispanic comment was simply an example. 330 million in the US vs. 70 million or so here. I'm sure the ratio works out. Do you have a positive contribution to make? I'm taking a poll!

If you are taking a poll where is it? Normally when a poll is added to a thread it appears at the top?

I'm unorthodox in my taking of polls. Thanks for your positive contribution. smile.png

Hispanics number 53 million in America ....that's 17% http://www.infoplease.com/spot/hhmcensus1.html

Expats living in Thailand ....maybe 200,000 (Wikipedia) and tourists approx 2 million each year and growing

Your comparison has no merit as does your thought that a few hundred thousand expats could alter the course of Thailand....as said before much NEEDS to be done ....BUT getting the Thai government to do it.....well its depends on who's in control and how much they can put in their pockets.

It's not what you do, but how you do it, so the numbers crunch in my book.

Furthermore, being rather pragmatic, I'm no stranger to reality, and the realities of Thailand.

Really, this isn't about ratios or current realities. This thread is about the future. If you have children, wouldn't you want a better educational system for them? Another example.

Thanks for your positive contribution. smile.png

Furthermore, being rather pragmatic, I'm no stranger to reality, and the realities of Thailand.

Really, this isn't about ratios or current realities. This thread is about the future. If you have children, wouldn't you want a better educational system for them? Another example.

I agree with beachproperty. The chance of western immigrants, the vast majority of whom are not citizens and so have no voting rights and represent around 0.3% 0f the population, affecting the laws of Thailand are zero.

This is a very different matter from the 50 million or so hispanic /latino population of the US, most of whom ( 30 million or so) are citizens with full voting rights and considerable political influence.

I appreciate that you are asking for suggestions about how westerners would want to change institutions and governance here, but the possibility is so remote that I personally don't feel time deciding this is well spent.

I appreciate that you don't think this is time well spent, and I certainly get no pleasure from wasting my time either. If the general consensus is that, trying to improve Thailand for the benefit of the expat population is a waste of time, then that's what the survey will reflect. I'm sure some will find this information useful. smile.png

• Like 1

Just read my signature, that just about covers it.

As said above, ideas is one thing, doing something about it is almost impossible as you have no vote, best way, is to lead by example, and hope that some of it rubs off, but dont hold your breath.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

I agree with beachproperty. The chance of western immigrants, the vast majority of whom are not citizens and so have no voting rights and represent around 0.3% 0f the population, affecting the laws of Thailand are zero.

This is a very different matter from the 50 million or so hispanic /latino population of the US, most of whom ( 30 million or so) are citizens with full voting rights and considerable political influence.

I appreciate that you are asking for suggestions about how westerners would want to change institutions and governance here, but the possibility is so remote that I personally don't feel time deciding this is well spent.

I appreciate that you don't think this is time well spent, and I certainly get no pleasure from wasting my time either. If the general consensus is that, trying to improve Thailand for the benefit of the expat population is a waste of time, then that's what the survey will reflect. I'm sure some will find this information useful. smile.png

Stop with the nonsense survey stuff. Thai Visa has sophisticated polling software that is easy to use and you didn't. Quit with the excuses. Or start another thread and have a proper poll instead of the nonsense BS stuff designed to be a Thai Bash.

Edited by thailiketoo

How would you change the land ownership laws, and why?

I wouldn't. In fact I think it's great that they don't let foreigners with money buy up everything and inflate house prices beyond what locals can afford. My country of origin should be as sensible.

How would you change the business/investment laws, and why?

I wouldn't. I don't care about farangs stupid enough to do business in LOS. IMO they deserve whatever crap happens to them for being silly enough to sup with the devil.

How would you change the immigration laws, and why?

I'd bring in 90 day permit to stay at the border for all countries currently getting 30 days ( repeat indefinitely ). If it's OK for Malaysia, why not Thailand?

How would you change the educational system, and why?

I don't know enough to comment, but it can't be worse than what I grew up with.

How would you change the court system, and why?

I don't know much about it, but any legal document should be translated before being signed.

What would you do to make Thailand less corrupt? (the question, 'why' needs not be asked)

That's like asking Canute to turn back the tide.

Finally, someone with an opinion. Thanks!

• Like 1

@ thailiketoo

Hmm... First post. I normally sit back and watch the toxicity from a distance.... If TV has polling software, I don't know about it. If I want to bash anyone, I do, but generally I find it a waste of time.

I don't think anything needs to be changed. If you don't like the place warts and all you know where the airport is.

I knew I'd get the 'don't let the airport hit you in the arse' comment, but you forgot to mention if you are Thai or not. Thanks for your positive contribution. smile.png

Iam not Thai.

I would make myself dictator and try to take as much money as possible out of the country.

If the people get too angry I escape to Dubai and try to put some relative into power and take more money.

Corruption has to go.

It is the single most dominant factor in day to day life in Thailand.

From people dying on bikes with no licences, to paying tea money for schools, to paying under the table for this or that and on and on.

Eventually, the system will implode if it isn't rolled back.

• Like 2

I agree 100%. Expats are here for many years and some new by days due to marriage, work and or investment. All knowing full well what they were getting into I trust with the politics, corruption, economy, red shirt & yellow shirt. Its all out there for the reading and research prior to a faranges move here. The unmitigated Gaul of the OP to presume that anyone would move to another country and then want to change it????? How did you like it when the Lords Prayer was removed from Schools because of new arrivals of different religions didn't like it in your country or to be told the world Christmas was not politically correct anymore.

• Like 2

Expats are here for many years and some new by days due to marriage, work and or investment. All knowing full well what they were getting into I trust with the politics, corruption, economy, red shirt & yellow shirt. Its all out there for the reading and research prior to a faranges move here. The unmitigated Gaul of the OP to presume that anyone would move to another country and then want to change it????? How did you like it when the Lords Prayer was removed from Schools because of new arrivals of different religions didn't like it in your country or to be told the world Christmas was not politically correct anymore.

• Like 1

there are uncivilized member of African tribus that may sign your post if someone should taught they to write

everywhere in the world there are things that should be changed ( to change may mean to improve ), if you are not able to see it here perhaps you are blind or you got a rapture

• Like 1

"How would you change things here?"

Become a mod and delete topics about farangs wanting to change things here. :)

As an aside, I have my buds but wanting to band together with a bunch of sweaty sexpats (as most of you are :P) and being lumped into that big fat bracket by the natives (you know, the ones that count here) is not my speed. But knock yourself out.