How would you change things here?

roguewo

If there were less corruption the really smart kids would get A grades, not all.and sundry. If there were less corruption there would be less uninsured and unlicensed drivers on the road, if there was less corruption doctors bills and medicines would be prescribed properly and not so wastefully, less corruption better coppers, less corruption less pollution.

Corruption is THE universal problem.

Corruption is linked with many of Thailand's problems but it is not the root cause of all Thailand's problems... it is as much as a symptom of other problems (e.g. low education standards and wages for public sector workers) as it is a cause of such problems.

Corruption can not be fixed without also improving education and public sector wages (and many other issues which generally depend far more on economic development such as providing all people with honest opportunities for creating wealth through hard work or entrepreneurship).

Obviously it is sensible to take steps to try to address corruption directly but it is dangerous to assume corruption is the source of all Thailand's problems or (more importantly) that there is some kind of quick fix to corruption (which can be solved by a few pieces of paper), regardless of what certain (corrupt) "political" activists say.

Wow, I never looked at it that way at all,

now that you mention it,

trash collection in NYC was much better when the mafia ran it.

same with the luggage handling at JFK airport

in fact., before they put John Gotti in prison, the Exctasy was pure and cheap

you are right, corruption is not the problem in thailand at all

there obviously isn't anything desirable about corruption but it's not the underlying root cause of all thailand's other problems... and it's not something that can simply be "fixed" independent of other issues

if you look at various corruption index of countries around the world, you will see a big negative correlation between corruption and economic development (and similarly you can see a positive correlation between economic development and education standards, healthcare standards, etc)

I dont agree,

corruption causes many businesses to fail, and more wealth is created via small business than any other way, except, guess what,

being corrupt and stealing

stamp that out, and everyone benefits

it is a discouragement and a scourge in every way, and it affects everyone, in every way

no getting past that

if prison was a real deterrent, all boats would rise in a fair and just economy

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scarpolo... totally agree about the undesirability of corruption but the point i'm trying to make is corruption is not something you can stop independent of other factors... and it's certainly not something that will be fixed by allowing some random (corrupt) guy takeover the country and create a few pieces of paper (as some people seem to believe)

scarpolo... totally agree about the undesirability of corruption but the point i'm trying to make is corruption is not something you can stop independent of other factors... and it's certainly not something that will be fixed by allowing some random (corrupt) guy takeover the country and create a few pieces of paper (as some people seem to believe)

sadly for Thailand, I see nothing but pain

• Like 1

yes just more of the same... round and round...

even so,

this merry go round has to end with a crash and restructuring as no one with power will give it up.

the drought wont help if crops fail, that will place even more burdens on their poor

even so,

this merry go round has to end with a crash and restructuring as no one with power will give it up.

the drought wont help if crops fail, that will place even more burdens on their poor

the merry go round already included lots of crashes and restructurings over the last couple of decades and will include many more

the polarized politics and instability will continue until either side fixes themselves to take on a less divisive / more inclusive approach

such a solution does not appear to be on the horizon unfortunately

thailand lost me for many reasons,

chief among them, my own perception that I wouldnt able to progress there, in any endeavor,

and, the bad air and heat

it was good for the 6 months I gave it and I have no regrets,

but, as bored as I am going to be going forward in my sleepy florida town,

the air is clean,

the water in adundance,

and clean fresh food, easy to get too

if I told you how old some of the things I saw on supermarket shelf's in thailand, how rotten some of the food was,

would it surprise anyone?

I also couldnt get high p[H water, and in a dehydrating place, such as Bangkok, that is a priority for me, as cells require it

I will miss the girls, but, they get boring as well, and, I didnt find the right one's anyway

chief among them, my own perception that I wouldnt able to progress there, in any endeavor,

the air is clean,

the water in adundance,

if I told you how old some of the things I saw on supermarket shelf's in thailand, how rotten some of the food was,

I also couldnt get high p[H water, and in a dehydrating place, such as Bangkok, that is a priority for me, as cells require it

I will miss the girls, but, they get boring as well, and, I didnt find the right one's anyway

have you been to Pai (Mae Hong Son)?... i think you would like it there

note: edited as previous post was way too long

Edited by brit1984

... so consider this a canvas where you can be creative, and dream. If I perchance to dream of how things should be in Thailand (which I don't) I don't need for you to provide the canvas.

Not wishing to be combative, but if you're not interested in contributing in the spirit of the OP's thread, why do you feel the need to post negative things on it?

Surely the back button is easier to use than actually writing something off topic, and no one is forcing you to be here.

• Like 1

the air is clean,

the water in adundance,

<they get boring as well>

Wow, I really, really feel sorry for you.

Most of the fun is in finding the right one, and if you don't, well it was fun anyway.

• Like 1

I would introduce a law that foreigners (married to a Thai) be allowed to own no more than one rai of land and it must be for residential purposes only. That would definitely increase Thailand's economy as more retired folk would spend their remaining years here.

... so consider this a canvas where you can be creative, and dream. If I perchance to dream of how things should be in Thailand (which I don't) I don't need for you to provide the canvas.

Not wishing to be combative, but if you're not interested in contributing in the spirit of the OP's thread, why do you feel the need to post negative things on it?

Surely the back button is easier to use than actually writing something off topic, and no one is forcing you to be here.

Go ahead -- be combative. I'm waiting for the OP or anyone else to ask: If you want to change Thailand for the better, what did you do today short of properly taking care of your family? Easy to pipe dream. Maybe instead of lying on the beach and contributing to the discussion one could actually do something.

• Like 1

I would introduce a law that foreigners (married to a Thai) be allowed to own no more than one rai of land and it must be for residential purposes only. That would definitely increase Thailand's economy as more retired folk would spend their remaining years here.

and if you buy a house Visa requirements waived, permanently

• Like 1

Traditionally retired folk sell the homestead and move in to smaller rented quarters for a better climate than the place they raised children and earned income.

Edited by thailiketoo

Would it? Foreigners married to Thais can already own home/land...albeit in the wife's name. So it wouldn't really change anything. A change in the law that would allow foreigners married to foreigners to purchase home/land might do the trick. But then you'd have to allow all foreigners to do so, which would amount to a complete sell-out of the country to foreigners. Better to leave the law as it is.

Would your law specify how the land so acquired would be handled in the event of divorce?

Would your law specify how the land so acquired would be handled in the event of divorce?

it should be 100 Rai and we get the title, and the permanent visa

it should be 100 Rai and we get the title, and the permanent visa

My take is that Thai officialdom tolerates marriage between Thai citizens and non-Thai citizens. As social policy, don't expect any changes in Immigration law, Land code, or anywhere else that might tend to encourage such marriages.

• Like 1

You took the words right out of my mouth! thumbsup.gif

Fine. Any OP can start a topic in whatever spirit he or she wants. Others then decide in what spirit they choose to contribute. If you want to see change then the simple answer is that you have to get up and try to do something; not just dream on a canvas.

BTW the OP has 7 Likes in his total posting history. My first post on this topic got 12 Likes.

Edited by JLCrab

Would it? Foreigners married to Thais can already own home/land...albeit in the wife's name. So it wouldn't really change anything. A change in the law that would allow foreigners married to foreigners to purchase home/land might do the trick. But then you'd have to allow all foreigners to do so, which would amount to a complete sell-out of the country to foreigners. Better to leave the law as it is.

I appreciate your thoughts, Berkshire, and I don't mean to be difficult, but for a moment consider history as we know it here. Many a soul has been lost, and a fortune too, after the house has been built, etc. Houses in the name of another, in a society enamored by money, is too much temptation.

Moreover, the country has already been sold out, just not to anyone not Thai...

I say;

I agree, Geronimo, a couple rai of land owned 100% lock, stock and barrel, by long term expats is fair.

100% ownership of a business with lower capital requirements, and perhaps really low cost off-shore opportunities with an even lower tax rate, like Malaysia has, would be smart.

A complete overhaul of the visa policies would also be smart, and save lives if the overhaul meant less check-ins/travel to boarders/etc.

An overhaul of the work permit policies; if you own it, you can do what you want with it!

Teaching critical thinking in schools, as well as international cultural awareness and emotional intelligence will, in the long run, lead to better employees and less crime/imprisonment.

I know this next opinion is going to stir some controversy, but it's worth debate. (don't anybody get your panties in a twist)

I look at people, companies and countries that have been successful, as models of behavior. Having said that I think, regarding drug policies here in Thailand, Portugal should be the role model.

Portugal's legalization of drugs has reduced crime, prison populations and HIV. Anything that reduces those three factors is a step in the right direction, by whatever means. I know that Portugal's HIV rate is higher than the rest of the EU, but Thailand's needle usage is much lower, and IDU's are, in a large degree, the driver of HIV infections/rates.

In addition, currently there are Mexican cartels in the Phil's teaching them how to make a much stronger type of meth. It will show up here soon. Taking the profit off of the streets, takes motivation away from drug dealers.

(Too all of you 'crabby' naysayers and bar stool butt-plugs, who have done nothing but kvetch on this thread, wait until California style meth shows up here and some pock faced, violent speed freak with rotted out teeth robs you for the next hit on the glass Richard. It's going to make yaBA, look like asPRIN!)

On a parting note, I'll share a piece of knowledge shared with me many years ago; surround yourself with people that are smarter than you, at least in the areas that you want to learn about, or need.

One only has to look at the death rate on the roads and the overall approach to safety, to know that a different approach is needed.

Fine. Any OP can start a topic in whatever spirit he or she wants. Others then decide in what spirit they choose to contribute. If you want to see change then the simple answer is that you have to get up and try to do something; not just dream on a canvas.

BTW the OP has 7 Likes in his total posting history. My first post on this topic got 12 Likes.

Anyone who needs to constantly measure the Richard, is probably trying to over-compensate. Give it a rest.

• Like 1

There many things I don't like but a lot more things I do like, the combination of the two makes Thailand what it is.

Our first instinct is ti want to change things, make things more to our liking.

I don't want to change a thing. I love Thailand the way it is warts and all.

So which overhaul comes first -- and I have no idea who is Richard.

The OP in various posts has suggested overhaul or modification to:

The Thai Immigration Act

The Thai Foreign Business Act

The Thai Land Code

The Thai Civil and Commercial Code

The Thai Criminal Code

... but I guess I am just a kill-joy who is not prone to respond in the proper spirit.

Maybe the OP should start a new Topic: How DO you change things here in Thailand? and see how far his canvas takes him.

Edited by JLCrab

So which overhaul comes first -- and I have no idea who is Richard.

The OP in various posts has suggested overhaul or modification to:

The Thai Immigration Act

The Thai Foreign Business Act

The Thai Land Code

The Thai Civil and Commercial Code

The Thai Criminal Code

... but I guess I am just a kill-joy who is not prone to respond in the proper spirit.

Maybe the OP should start a new Topic: How DO you change things here in Thailand? and see how far his canvas takes him.

jerk.gif

I would change the visa law for UK citizens.

So my sons and sisters, when coming to visit - Instead of just being able to rock up to immigration at Swampy and get 30 days entry no questions asked, I would make them jump through flaming hoops, submit pages and pages of applications, submit lots of intrusive and personal information, about personal life and financial status, travel to their capital city from whichever remote town they live in to attend an interview and try to attest their innocence although they are pre-judged as guilty (of what, it doesn't matter, the inference is broad).

This to make it even for when my wife visited UK to see my family there. If it was a level field, she would feel less insulted.

No no no...of course I don't mean it - just a blunt way of making a point.

I would change the visa law for UK citizens.

So my sons and sisters, when coming to visit - Instead of just being able to rock up to immigration at Swampy and get 30 days entry no questions asked, I would make them jump through flaming hoops, submit pages and pages of applications, submit lots of intrusive and personal information, about personal life and financial status, travel to their capital city from whichever remote town they live in to attend an interview and try to attest their innocence although they are pre-judged as guilty (of what, it doesn't matter, the inference is broad).

This to make it even for when my wife visited UK to see my family there. If it was a level field, she would feel less insulted.

No no no...of course I don't mean it - just a blunt way of making a point.

I can't say much about the visa laws of the UK. I've been there once on business, but the visa was handled by the company.

If the UK makes you jump through flaming hoops, maybe it has changed, but it's not sensible. Once you are in the UK, do you have to continue to jump through hoops? I don't know.

Thailand's visa policies are not sensible either. Anyone can walk through the door, but you have to hand over your money constantly, and you are made to feel as if that is the only thing that matters.

How would you make the visa laws here more sensible?