Soi Dog round up? It looks that way in Cosy Beach

tropo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only hope is that the missing dogs went to good homes or that they were disposed of humanely. Far too many dogs on the loose running around, pooping, chasing cars and motorbikes, biting people, etc etc.

Pattaya City law is:.

1) Dogs' owners must register each of their dogs at the Subdivision of Veterinary, Public Health Center, Pattaya city hall.

2) Dogs' owners must put on a collar and rabies control tag around the pets' necks and those must be in good condition.

3) Dogs' owners must pick up their pets' waste in the public area. Violators will be fined not exceeding Bath 500.

Above is the wording on a Pattaya City Announcement available in Thai and English at City vets office in the fire station on 3rd road.

I've talked to the city vet and his assistants in their office at the fire station. They registered my dog. Never been to city hall and since new Public health building is on Soi Buakhow I think it better to go there. Veterinary section is in basement.

Regarding 3) above the vet says if a dog is on public land it should be leashed or in constant view & control of owner. How else are you supposed to pick up waste if you can't see when & where your dog takes a poop!

The city vet and his assistants as well as those in the veterinary section of public health are all very helpful. The idiots are those that feed strays and then don't pick up the poop as well as those that let their pet run free on public land.

Soi dogs are not usually stray pets, they are born in parks and empty lots. They are wild animals.

Where is cozy beach?What exactly is cozy beach? I've never been able to work what or out where this place is, is it Pratanmak?

Turn right at the police box at the top of the hill on Pratumnak Road (going up). There's 3 roads at a traffic circle (left one - Cosy Beach, Middle one - Royal Cliff Hotel, Right one - lookout). Soi Rajchawaroon. The entire area down this soi is called "Cosy Beach". It's quite a large area - you'll be surprised if you haven't been there before.

Edited by tropo

My only hope is that the missing dogs went to good homes or that they were disposed of humanely. Far too many dogs on the loose running around, pooping, chasing cars and motorbikes, biting people, etc etc.

1) Dogs' owners must register each of their dogs at the Subdivision of Veterinary, Public Health Center, Pattaya city hall.

2) Dogs' owners must put on a collar and rabies control tag around the pets' necks and those must be in good condition.

3) Dogs' owners must pick up their pets' waste in the public area. Violators will be fined not exceeding Bath 500.

Above is the wording on a Pattaya City Announcement available in Thai and English at City vets office in the fire station on 3rd road.

I've talked to the city vet and his assistants in their office at the fire station. They registered my dog. Never been to city hall and since new Public health building is on Soi Buakhow I think it better to go there. Veterinary section is in basement.

Regarding 3) above the vet says if a dog is on public land it should be leashed or in constant view & control of owner. How else are you supposed to pick up waste if you can't see when & where your dog takes a poop!

The city vet and his assistants as well as those in the veterinary section of public health are all very helpful. The idiots are those that feed strays and then don't pick up the poop as well as those that let their pet run free on public land.

Soi dogs are not usually stray pets, they are born in parks and empty lots. They are wild animals.
Disagree. Most so called soi dogs exist because somebody feeds and takes care of them with collar and possibly vaccinations. IE the dog has a defacto owner. What the owner doesn't take care of is the poop and any damage the dog may cause. That's makes the soi dog a sort of pet. Most soi dogs are reasonably friendly to humans. What they hate is my dog when she walks with me over what the soi dog considers its territory.

Sent from my ZTE V765M using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

Disagree. Most so called soi dogs exist because somebody feeds and takes care of them with collar and possibly vaccinations. IE the dog has a defacto owner. What the owner doesn't take care of is the poop and any damage the dog may cause. That's makes the soi dog a sort of pet. Most soi dogs are reasonably friendly to humans. What they hate is my dog when she walks with me over what the soi dog considers its territory.

What are you disagreeing to?

Perhaps you misunderstood my terminology - "wild animals".

They are wild animals simply because they are born in the wild. Whether they are friendly or not is irrelevant. Being fed by humans is a feature of their habitat which allows them to be successful.

Edited by tropo

What are you disagreeing to?

Perhaps you misunderstood my terminology - "wild animals".

They are wild animals simply because they are born in the wild. Whether they are friendly or not is irrelevant. Being fed by humans is a feature of their habitat which allows them to be successful.

All or nearly all of your post. They are as I said sort of pets as they have sort of owners. They can hardly be called wild animals when they are born in today's concrete jungle under the local taxi drivers sofa or hammock and fed by some misguided citizen who takes no responsibility for the animals poop or damages to cars/motorcycles involved in accidents caused by the soi dog. These soi dogs do not hunt and kill for food as with wild lions and tigers nor do they partake of another's leftovers as with wild vultures and hyenas. To call them wild is a big stretch of the imagination. What next? Endangered!

^^They could in fact become endangered in Cosy Beach. I hope so.

There's no need to get hung up on definitions. The point is really to distinguish Soi Dogs from stray pets. They are not stray pets. They are born in the wild, which in this case means vacant lots and parks.

Yes, the Thai vendors and bike boys take them on as pseudo-pets, but they weren't born as pets.

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

There has been a lot of talk lately about soi dogs on this website and there are a few low lifes who feel that these innocent dogs deserve the barbaric treatment that they receive. These creatures, given the chance, could be the best friend you ever had I just don't understand how some people can be so heartless and cruel. Some quote from Mark Twain "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man. Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.

"to error is human to forgive is canine" These spirits have just as much right to be here as we do, their unfortunate plight was caused by uncaring selfish scum that put money ahead of all else.

My particular objection is not to the friendly ones, it's to the slavering barking ones that can bite for no reason. If they were all friendly and well-behaved it would be very different, but they are not.

My personal desire is that all dogs keep well away from me, regardless of how friendly or not they may be. The same with children and infectious diseases: I dont like them and I dont want to like them.

As for Mark Twain, how many starving dogs did he make prosperous I wonder?

• Like 1

2 weeks ago my cousin was bitten by a soi dog (or bitch, not sure) on 3rd Rd near Klang.

He (cousin) had to undergo the rabies injection series.

Soi dogs are surely the reason why Thailand holds the number 2 position in the world for rabies infections (after India).

Those cute little soi doggies that dog lovers on this forum are continually "protecting" are a life threatening danger to all. I see nothing wrong with the idea of a nationwide culling of these menaces, as long as it is done humanely.

I can dream....

Riding a motorcycle in Pattaya is dangerous enough without the risk of being bitten by a rabid dog. I've had a few close calls over the years when the odd dog caught me by surprise.

Do they have free injections for victims of dog bites here?

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

2 weeks ago my cousin was bitten by a soi dog (or bitch, not sure) on 3rd Rd near Klang.

He (cousin) had to undergo the rabies injection series.

Soi dogs are surely the reason why Thailand holds the number 2 position in the world for rabies infections (after India).

Those cute little soi doggies that dog lovers on this forum are continually "protecting" are a life threatening danger to all. I see nothing wrong with the idea of a nationwide culling of these menaces, as long as it is done humanely.

I can dream....

Riding a motorcycle in Pattaya is dangerous enough without the risk of being bitten by a rabid dog. I've had a few close calls over the years when the odd dog caught me by surprise.

Do they have free injections for victims of dog bites here?

You are spot on.

There's no need to get hung up on definitions. The point is really to distinguish Soi Dogs from stray pets. They are not stray pets. They are born in the wild, which in this case means vacant lots and parks.

Yes, the Thai vendors and bike boys take them on as pseudo-pets, but they weren't born as pets.

Not born in the wild and not wild dogs. Not pets as we farang see them but in the way they are cared for by some people pets nevertheless.

I love dogs but am no lover of dogs that are allowed to roam free on public land.

Not born in the wild and not wild dogs. Not pets as we farang see them but in the way they are cared for by some people pets nevertheless.

I love dogs but am no lover of dogs that are allowed to roam free on public land.

I heard you the first time - I call them wild dogs and gave my reasons, now let's just leave it at that. If you think these dogs are cared for, you should open you eyes and have a closer look. Most of them are in disgusting condition.

Its the " way they are cared for by some " that is the problem. Leaving garbage around for these so called pets to eat does not qualify them as pets..

Its just feeding the stray dog problem.

A pet is always under control. Anything else : soi dog , stray pet , wild dogs are a problem and are to be dealt with accordingly

Edited by morrobay

Theres a woman on a motorbike with a basket on the back that goes around feeding them left over rice, maybe if she stopped there would be less on the streets.

Sorry mate, but unless eating rice creates puppies then her feeding dogs makes not a difference.

Think back to biology 101.

Cheers

If dogs found it harder to find food they would not breed so prolifically...

And they would not hang around the soi's if they were not getting free food and people were more careful about securing their trash cans.

Theres a woman on a motorbike with a basket on the back that goes around feeding them left over rice, maybe if she stopped there would be less on the streets.

Sorry mate, but unless eating rice creates puppies then her feeding dogs makes not a difference.

Think back to biology 101.

Cheers

And they would not hang around the soi's if they were not getting free food and people were more careful about securing their trash cans.

CC - Perhaps you missed a bit of biology at school? - Unfortunately those who feed the dogs are themselves contributing to a public nuisance and are seriously misguided in what they do. they don't "alleviate suffering" they just allow the dogs to breed more and increase the numbers of diseased and wretched animals on the streets.

if you take away the dogs food supply the population wil reduce....dogs can only breed according to the food supply available.

Edited by wilcopops

LOL. If a soi dog doesn't get "free food", where would it go to purchase some, and how would it pay?

This is ongoing,anyone who has spent sometime in Thai Villages will know about the caged pickup,with plenty of dogs on board, which Tours the villages looking for unwanted pets that will be sold on the Sokonaken meat market,usually the dog owner is given a small plastic bowl!as payment.

The other version is to abduct the street dogs at night,without the owners permission,which are also heading for the meat market.Never say you have never eaten dog,with the right sauces,you just never knew it!

I wish there was someone in my neighbourhood that would abduct all the dogs that lie on the road all night, waiting to be run over.

Many vicious ones too.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

The disappearance of soi dogs in the Cosy Beach area has been the work of a mystery person systematically poisoning them. I'm not sure if he's still at it, but his handy work has made quite a difference to the area.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

The disappearance of soi dogs in the Cosy Beach area has been the work of a mystery person systematically poisoning them. I'm not sure if he's still at it, but his handy work has made quite a difference to the area.

What type of poison do you use, is it something you can buy at the local pharmacy ?

Would be a solution to keep some areas clean of soi dogs.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

MYSTERY SOLVED!

What type of poison do you use, is it something you can buy at the local pharmacy ?

Would be a solution to keep some areas clean of soi dogs.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All jokes aside, whatever poison they're using is working right now at Cosy Beach.

My guess is they drove around in a car and threw poisoned meat along all the sois.

... no one knows who it is, so they're been very careful about it. It would be easy to do around 4am with no one seeing. My Thai neighbour said she spotted a dog frothing at the mouth, in obvious distress. I don't know who's been picking up the corpses. Perhaps they go into the bushes to die.

.. which leads me to an interesting question: Is it illegal to kill soi dogs?

It's not illegal to kill soi dogs , it's just like killing a gecko or a snake out in the wild. Try to do this in the west and you will probably end up in a prison .

It's not illegal to kill soi dogs , it's just like killing a gecko or a snake out in the wild. Try to do this in the west and you will probably end up in a prison .

I don't know where you come from, but where I used to live in Australia dog catchers were out at the crack of dawn and rounding up any dog not on a leash. You'd be hard pressed to find a stray dog to kill, so it would be difficult to test your theory... I'm talking about un-collared dogs without official owners.

Edited by tropo

Soi dogs have two main sources of food - garbage and misguided people who feed them.

If garbage was handled better and people were educated as to the ramifications of feeding these dogs the population would dwindle quite quickly.

Edited by wilcopops

Soi dogs have two main sources of food - garbage and misguided people who feed them.

If garbage was handled better and people were educated as to the ramifications of feeding these dogs the population would dwindle quite quickly.

I disagree. If food was harder to find you'd end up with packs of tougher, nastier dogs. It's survival of the fittest. The 3 legged, feeble and sick dogs would soon disappear to make way for super breeds of soi dogs - dogs which may actually hunt for live food as they do in the wild. Babies and young children would be at risk.

But really, there's no need to fantasize about what will never happen. This is a city full of dog lovers and tourists and there's always going to be bountiful supplies of food. A lot of people think it's better to feed dogs with their scraps than let it go to waste.

Edited by tropo