US executions delayed in 'secrecy' row

webfact

Oklahoma executions delayed amid lethal drugs 'secrecy' row

Oklahoma Supreme Court has delayed the execution of two convicted murderers who challenged a state law preventing death row inmates learning the source of the drugs used to kill them.

The decision comes one day before Clayton Lockett, 38, was due to die.

Another inmate, Charles Warner, was scheduled to be executed on 29 April.

Last month, a judge ruled that the secrecy surrounding the source of the state's lethal injection drugs was unconstitutional.

It comes as US states are having increasing trouble obtaining drugs used in executions, amid an embargo from European pharmaceutical firms.

Critics say the states risk botching executions and causing unnecessary suffering with impure drugs.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27106623

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-04-22

It is interesting that some Americans are prosecuted for sourcing lower-cost prescription drugs, which have been approved by the FDA, in Canada, Mexico and elsewhere, but States can illegally smuggle drugs (various lethal injection drugs), which are not approved by the FDA. Go figger.

This is a current problem in Nebraska, Missouri, Oklahoma - and maybe more states? Not sure what they do in Texas, but given their volume business maybe they stocked up?

Tennessee is close to bringing back "Old Sparky". And lawmakers in Missouri and Wyoming proposed adding firing squads as an execution method earlier this year. Lethal injection of lead?

Tennessee bill to bring back electric chair headed to governor
Reuters TIM GHIANNI, REUTERS
APR. 17, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Reuters) - Tennessee's electric chair, last used in 2007, would become a state option for executions under a bill approved on Thursday by lawmakers looking for alternatives if drugs for lethal injections become unavailable.
Tennessee senators voted on Thursday to give the measure final approval and send it to Republican Governor Bill Haslam, who has endorsed the death penalty in general terms.
Haslam will review the legislation when it arrives at his desk, a spokeswoman said on Wednesday. The bill follows other similar proposals from various U.S. states that are responding to increased difficulty in obtaining drugs for lethal injections because many pharmaceutical firms, mainly in Europe, object to their use in executions.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-tennessee-bill-to-bring-back-electric-chair-headed-to-governor-2014-17

Stoning, and burning at the stake, are expecting a strong comeback in those states low on funding for electricity or bullets.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

It is interesting that some Americans are prosecuted for sourcing lower-cost prescription drugs, which have been approved by the FDA, in Canada, Mexico and elsewhere, but States can illegally smuggle drugs (various lethal injection drugs), which are not approved by the FDA. Go figger.

This is a current problem in Nebraska, Missouri, Oklahoma - and maybe more states? Not sure what they do in Texas, but given their volume business maybe they stocked up?

Tennessee is close to bringing back "Old Sparky". And lawmakers in Missouri and Wyoming proposed adding firing squads as an execution method earlier this year. Lethal injection of lead?

Tennessee bill to bring back electric chair headed to governor
Reuters TIM GHIANNI, REUTERS
APR. 17, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Reuters) - Tennessee's electric chair, last used in 2007, would become a state option for executions under a bill approved on Thursday by lawmakers looking for alternatives if drugs for lethal injections become unavailable.
Tennessee senators voted on Thursday to give the measure final approval and send it to Republican Governor Bill Haslam, who has endorsed the death penalty in general terms.
Haslam will review the legislation when it arrives at his desk, a spokeswoman said on Wednesday. The bill follows other similar proposals from various U.S. states that are responding to increased difficulty in obtaining drugs for lethal injections because many pharmaceutical firms, mainly in Europe, object to their use in executions.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-tennessee-bill-to-bring-back-electric-chair-headed-to-governor-2014-17

Stoning, and burning at the stake, are expecting a strong comeback in those states low on funding for electricity or bullets.

FDA Approval? Would they certify efficacy and safety for those?

I know it is counter-intuitive, but I believe what makes the 'lethal injection' LETHAL is in fact a deliberate overdose of a barbituate (pentabarbitol), after hopefully relaxing and sedating the condemned, So yes, the drug(s) have other uses, in lower doses, when the intention is not to cause death.

Not sure why the gas chamber fell out of favor - it was used for ~ 600 executions? Maybe the horrible association with Nazi death camps? Or why hanging isn't used anymore, it was fine Saddam Hussein. It is strange that the U.S. Military has not executed anyone since 1961?

Oklahoma executions delayed amid lethal drugs 'secrecy' row

Oklahoma Supreme Court has delayed the execution of two convicted murderers who challenged a state law preventing death row inmates learning the source of the drugs used to kill them.

The decision comes one day before Clayton Lockett, 38, was due to die.

Another inmate, Charles Warner, was scheduled to be executed on 29 April.

Last month, a judge ruled that the secrecy surrounding the source of the state's lethal injection drugs was unconstitutional.

It comes as US states are having increasing trouble obtaining drugs used in executions, amid an embargo from European pharmaceutical firms.

Critics say the states risk botching executions and causing unnecessary suffering with impure drugs.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27106623

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2014-04-22

About as logical as:

I don't know the maker of the bullet they put in the back of my head.

I don't know who made the rope the hung me with.

I don't know where the cyanide capsule or acid it was dissolved in came from.

Who made the steel used in the last guillotine blade.

Sorry this is ridiculous.

The only reason an execution is botched is by negligence of the executioner.

But the point is to kill them, for sure. So it really isn't rocket science,

Fools OD everyday round the world, to do it without doubt by a professional shouldn't be difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Their attorneys appealed based on a "cruel and unusual punishment" basis.

1. "Clayton Lockett, 38, was convicted of shooting 19-year-old Stephanie Nieman with a sawed-off shotgun and watching as two accomplices buried her alive in rural Kay County in 1999. He has filed court papers to learn more about Oklahoma's execution protocol, but has not challenge his guilt or sentence."

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/06063e77cd1642c8a2ca143a5a2d12d8/OK--Oklahoma-Execution

2. "The second inmate, Charles Warner, was convicted in the 1997 death of his roommate's 11-month-old daughter and was scheduled to die on April 29."

http://newsok.com/bc-ap-ok-oklahoma-news-digest-ap/article/feed/676724

Cruel and unusual punishment, indeed.

Fully understand your point, but we assume (however irrationally) that when someone is executed in the name of the people, that "we" will act in a more civilized manner than the convicted may have done. If you're into revenge or an eye for an eye, delaying the execution means these two will be tormented all that much longer awaiting the inevitable. Once they're executed they'll no longer experience that fear & anxiety ... although maybe something worse awaits them.

It's hard to imagine what goes on in the minds of people who can do the sort of things these two did, but a speedy execution might give them greater peace than the families of the victims will ever have. Whatever happens, no one will end up winning anything from it all.

killing people legally or illegally....still America ! ! ! it's WRONG

I think its perfectly justified...

Thailand still has the death penalty and it is used for other crimes other than just murder..The United States reserves the ultimate penalty for the ultimate crime. The only problem I have with it is the possibility of an innocent being executed...Also, the convicted will know in advance when their time to be executed is...In thailand sometimes they only know about it an hour before...

The US military hasn't executed anyone since 1961. But they might end up executing that guy Nidal who shot up FT Hood in 2009

• Like 1

I know it is counter-intuitive, but I believe what makes the 'lethal injection' LETHAL is in fact a deliberate overdose of a barbituate (pentabarbitol), after hopefully relaxing and sedating the condemned, So yes, the drug(s) have other uses, in lower doses, when the intention is not to cause death.

Not sure why the gas chamber fell out of favor - it was used for ~ 600 executions? Maybe the horrible association with Nazi death camps? Or why hanging isn't used anymore, it was fine Saddam Hussein. It is strange that the U.S. Military has not executed anyone since 1961?

I was being a little facetious as they couldn't do efficacy tests, and safety wouldn't matter. Volunteers for our double blind study? Anyone?

But I think the real reason they use existing drugs is for practical reasons. No one would make a chemical that is only used for this, and I think any chemicals or other things that could be used, can not be used for this. As in it would violate other federal laws. There's the warning on pesticides and similar things "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling." Not sure about that, but I think that's the web of regulations they have to navigate through. Maybe at the commercial level, there's more leeway.

A death sentence is such an absolute outcome for a really flawed justice system. America get your act together and fix your courts so a "fair trial" is just that, FAIR. I shudder to think how many innocent individuals have died by the executioners hand because of such a flawed justice system.

What do I mean by "flawed" justice system...

1. Justice seams favor only the rich,

2. Lying/dishonest police,

3. Lying/mistaken witnesses,

4. Corrupt/inapt judges and lawyers,

...anyone care to add some more?

Edited by mdmayes

Just put them "to sleep" like a dog using the same humane drugs that a veterinarian uses.

+1...

Indeed. The perfect solution.

Imagine, arguing over the source of the lethal drug. 'A sad comment on the American judiciary that anyone attempting to even raise such a frivolous argument isn't instantly jailed on contempt.

• Like 2

A death sentence is such an absolute outcome for a really flawed justice system. America get your act together and fix your courts so a "fair trial" is just that, FAIR. I shudder to think how many innocent individuals have died by the executioners hand because of such a flawed justice system.

Oh yes. Why it practically happens ALL the time.

Sheesh... Murder is a fairly "absolute outcome" for the victim, wouldn't you say?

America's justice system will have its act together when justice is both swift & sure.

Sheesh... Murder is a fairly "absolute outcome" for the victim, wouldn't you say?

America's justice system will have its act together when justice is both swift & sure.

I see flaws in your argument...you have to catch/tri/convict the CORRECT purp in order to execute. I see you would like to see an innocent person die for your own selfish satisfaction. Don't take this the wrong wat but you must be American. Edited by mdmayes

I see flaws in your argument...you have to catch/tri/convict the correct purp in order to execute. I see you would like to see an innocent person die for your own selfish satisfaction.

If that's what you "see", then maybe you should cut back on your drinking. I said nothing of the kind. ("justice" and "sure" are the operative words here...)

I see flaws in your argument...you have to catch/tri/convict the correct purp in order to execute. I see you would like to see an innocent person die for your own selfish satisfaction.

If that's what you "see", then maybe you should cut back on your drinking. I said nothing of the kind. ("justice" and "sure" are the operative words here...)

If your talking about American justice im not impressed.

I curious as to what you mean by a flawed justice system? Could you point us all in the direction of a country with a fairer one? Also could you back that up with some factual information.

There have been 316 post-conviction DNA exonerations in the United States.
• The first DNA exoneration took place in 1989. Exonerations have been won in 36 states; since 2000, there have been 249 exonerations.
18 of the 314 people exonerated through DNA served time on death row. Another 16 were charged with capital crimes but not sentenced to death.
• The average length of time served by exonerees is 13.5 years. The total number of years served is approximately 4,232.
• The average age of exonerees at the time of their wrongful convictions was 27.
Races of the 316 exonerees:
198 African Americans
94 Caucasians
22 Latinos
2 Asian American
• The true suspects and/or perpetrators have been identified in 153 of the DNA exoneration cases.
There is a lot of pressure on police and prosecutors to prosecute alleged criminals, especially in more horrific cases. Infrequently this pressure leads to shoddy representation, forced confessions, suppressed evidence, fabricated evidence which results in a wrongful conviction.
Support for capital punishment seems to be shifting a bit in the U.S., given the number of states that have prohibited it recently Clearly it is not viewed as a deterrent any longer, so it is viewed strictly as a punishment.
Regarding the U.S. military, I was simply interested in the method(s) they were using recently - save Drones, so was surprised to see that they hadn't legally executed anyone since 1961. I guess they'd use lethal injection if they were to carry out an execution.

John A. Bennett, not surprisingly an African-American (with medical and cognitive issues), who was convicted and executed for the rape and attempted murder of an 11-year-old Austrian girl, was the last U.S. Military execution.
This is an interesting article:
TRIAL BY FIRE
Did Texas execute an innocent man?
The fire moved quickly through the house, a one-story wood-frame structure in a working-class neighborhood of Corsicana, in northeast Texas. Flames spread along the walls, bursting through doorways, blistering paint and tiles and furniture. Smoke pressed against the ceiling, then banked downward, seeping into each room and through crevices in the windows, staining the morning sky.
Buffie Barbee, who was eleven years old and lived two houses down, was playing in her back yard when she smelled the smoke. She ran inside and told her mother, Diane, and they hurried up the street; that’s when they saw the smoldering house and Cameron Todd Willingham standing on the front porch, wearing only a pair of jeans, his chest blackened with soot, his hair and eyelids singed. He was screaming, “My babies are burning up!” His children—Karmon and Kameron, who were one-year-old twin girls, and two-year-old Amber—were trapped inside.
Edited by lomatopo