Losing Weight

listenup

I’m trying to loose some weight, these are the main dishes I eat, I would like your view on what ones are more “fattening”

Western Food

Beef Sandwich

Cheese & Ham Sandwich

Cheese & Ham croissant

Pork & Apple sauce roll

Thai Food

Pork & Sweet Basil and rice

Chicken & Sweet Basil and rice

BBQ Corn on the cob

Fried Rice with chicken

Satey with peanut sauce

Chicken with garlic and rice

Prawns with garlic and rice

I eat a lot more than the above, but they are obvious… Salad or on the other hand an english breakfast!

What foods out of the above should I really not eat, or are they all roughly the same?

I’m loosing weight, but think it’s mainly through the ½ hour jog I’m doing every day. This is my first time thinking about the food I eat, so your help is much appreciated!

Cheers!

Edited by penzman

Seems like you are eating a regular diet. The exercise probably is doing the most. I would guess if you cut out the sweet foods and avoid excessive amounts of bread, rice, sweet drinks and alcohol in your diet you would get better results.

I’m trying to loose some weight, these are the main dishes I eat, I would like your view on what ones are more “fattening”

Western Food

Beef Sandwich

Cheese & Ham Sandwich

Cheese & Ham croissant

Pork & Apple sauce roll

Thai Food

BBQ Corn on the cob

Fried Rice with chicken

Satey with peanut sauce

I eat a lot more than the above, but they are obvious… Salad or on the other hand an english breakfast!

What foods out of the above should I really not eat, or are they all roughly the same?

I’m loosing weight, but think it’s mainly through the ½ hour jog I’m doing every day. This is my first time thinking about the food I eat, so your help is much appreciated!

Cheers!

[quote

Loosing weight is not easy. From the food you mentioned, you should eat only some garlic, an apple and a small piece of chicken (boiled) per day.

Add quick walk - more than one hour, every day.

When you are tired of chicken, eat boiled fish. Add vegetables. Drink much water. No rice or potatoes.

And not too much fruit - has sugar.

Olaus

Hi,

I stopped eating rice, bread, noodles and potatos 2 years ago. All this stuff goes faster into the blood than normal sugar. I start loosing weight slowly but healthy, and... can sustain it! That is usually the trouble with all kinds of diets.

You have to commit for life. If cannot, stay away from it, or make up your mind first.

What you digest with fibers comes slower into the blood that processed food. For example, as raw salad gives of bloodsugar for maybe 4 hours, while a plate of rice will give you a very high peak in 30 minutes. This also causes high insuline production and now you can think of why all those diabetics are running around.

One very important issue: healthy food control is 4x more efficient in making you loose weight, than exercise!! exercise is needed for the office-worker in common because you loose flexibility when sitting a lot, but the amount of calories can SAFELY being cut into half, granted that you eat healthy food.

I guess this is not what all those fitness-centres want you to know which are all springing up around the country. Think about it: you going to eat half of what you eat normally, so you spend a lot less money on food! and therefore you do not need the expensive membership in the fitness-club (provided you do your daily walking a bit). You're a lot more healthy, richer and probably need to see a lot less doctor or take medicine....

excuse the rant, but my experiences have driven me to research a lot in this field... read up on it and see for yourselves. have book-titles avail if you want

cut down on the carbohydrates saturated fats and exercise more.

until you are burning more calories than you are taking in you will not lose weight.

in this country its easier to exercise in a fitness centre than out in the heat , apart from swimming.

if you can take the heat and you live here , then join one of those free aerobic exercise sessions that they have all over thailand in the parks at 6pm each day. they are usually 45 minute sessions of jumps and bends , the weight will roll off. its a good way to meet local people too.

dietary control is really hard , food is one of lifes greatest pleasures and i think its better to eat well and burn it off than to live on lettuce and apples and salivate all day.

should be doing more than 30 mins exercise a day too.

i was told that only after the the first 30 minutes of exercise does the body start to use up the calories stored in body fat , the energy used in the first 30 minutes comes from readily accessible energy storage , but you wont decrease your body fat during that time.

exercise works on many levels , and will soon become a habit that is hard to break.

i had a sedentary job and my weight went up to 95 kilos , i didnt like the way i looked or the way i felt so i lost 20kg over 14 months 10 years ago by halving my carb intake and swimming a kilometer a day , i have maintained my lower weight by almost daily 1 hour swimming or running sessions , and just being a little careful when it comes to watching what i eat , but i never deny myself anything , i just dont pig out anymore.

keep at it and dont give up , you will feel better mentally and physically and your general health will improve.

Edited by taxexile

Skip the fried rice. And if possible, eat brown rather than white rice. Likewise, anything you eat with bread should be whole grain not white bread.

These are easy to do when you cook at home but sounds like you eat out...so in that case if white rice unavoidable eat as little of it as you can.

Sounds like most of the dishes are at least partially fried. If you could substitute more Thai salads and soups (without coconut milk) that will help.

Another thing you can do is take Xenical with any meals that were fried. Available over the counter in Thailand, it blocks the absorption of fat in the intestines by about 30%. The drug is not absorbed into the body so very little in the way of side effects. But be careful that you don't increase your fat intake thinking that it's OK since you're on Xenical as that would defeat the purpose. If you keep your fat intake the same and take Xenical, sure to lose weight.

sheryl , can you elaborate on the xenical a bit.

is it a tablet that is taken daily that affects the digestive system , how exactly does it work?

or is it something that is taken as a food supplement specifically when eating fried food or fatty meals.

can it be taken if someone is already taking atorvastatin cholesterol controlling tablets ?

Edited by taxexile

Hi,

Unfortunately, rice and bread, white or brown has practically no difference is speed when it comes to digestion. The only slow kind is that thin rye-bread which is normally available in germany and the netherlands.

Cut the rice, fill your plate with veggies instead. Eat them raw of stir-fried, not cooked. Cooking destroys the fiber-content.

another thing to know: when eating fast digesting food, you get too fast release of bloodsugar. Your body has a mechanism for that: insuline. Insuline supresses bloodsugar... and that's why you craving for sweets 2 hours after a heavy meal: the insuline pushes down the bloodsugar, the brain uses energy in form of bloodsugar and if it does not get enough, it will want to go to sleep and/or induced a trigger for bloodsugar, hence the appetite for sweets. So, eating fibers (veggies/fruit) will slowly release bloodsugar and therefore you can go 4 to 5 hours on a small meal of the healthy stuff without feeling hungry/sleepy.

And insuline does another thing: any additional bloodsugar released in the bloodstream after a high peak, is converted into fat! So there you go, your fat-free rice/bread/pasta whatever becomes fat.

hope this helps.

sheryl , can you elaborate on the xenical a bit.

is it a tablet that is taken daily that affects the digestive system , how exactly does it work?

or is it something that is taken as a food supplement specifically when eating fried food or fatty meals.

can it be taken if someone is already taking atorvastatin cholesterol controlling tablets ?

It's a drug, not a food supplement, but it works in the intestine and is not absorbed into the body. It works by blocking the action of the enzyme that breaks down fat for absorption. As a result, about 30% of the fat taken in is excreted unabsorbed.

The recommended dose is up to 3 times a day; keeping in mind how it works, it only needs to be taken if fat has been consumed. (For example, no need for a meal of rice and steamed veggies, or fruit). As the drug is fairly expensive this is worth remembering. It needs to be taken within 2 hours of the intake of the fat, closer in time to the actual meal the better. So for people who eat out, should be carried along.

As far as I know the 3 times a day recommendation is based on the assumption that people only eat 3 meals a day, and there would be no reason not to pop a 4th tab if, for example, you succombed to a late night burger or ice cream.

Since it is not absorbed systemically, there is no contraindication for persons taking any other drug. HOWEVER, since the absorption of some drugs (including vitamins) can be affected by changes in fat absorption, it should not be taken at the same time as other meds, just make sure it's a few hours apart.

The only known side effects are a possible deficiency in fat soluble vitamins (unlikely unless your fat intake is extremely low to begin with in which case there's little point in taking Xenical) and loose/oily stools; the latter is more noticeable if fat intake was large, little noticeable change if fat intake was small to moderate.

Being advertised and sold in a lot of Thai pharmacies, including the small ones near Lotus & other superstores.

increase jogging to 1 hour.

cut on the fat (attention a lot hidden fat) (what automatic increase protein+carbohydrates).

in Farangistan it is often a point to increase carbos, but in Thailand with the much rice you automatic eat more than enough.

Don't forget about the drinks coke or milk has unbelivable calorien.

Beer is better but you may drink unbelivable amounts of it and second it makes you hungry....

Western Food

Beef Sandwich

Cheese & Ham Sandwich

Cheese & Ham croissant

Pork & Apple sauce roll

Thai Food

BBQ Corn on the cob

Fried Rice with chicken

Satey with peanut sauce

Cheers!

I agree with a lot of the above posts; however;

The word 'diet' is hopeless. Almost all 'diets' don't work. You just have to change your lifestyle and eating habits.

For sure: exercise more, walking, swimming and cycling is enough, but exercise every day, for a few hours.

Look at you food intake and remove all processed foods. Eat fresh vegetables and fruits, fish and skinless chicken, little red meat and little cheese, eggs are O.K. boiled.

Try to eliminate, sugary food, remove very fatty food.

Plus what is vital: The time that you eat. Eat well at breakfast and lunch, then eat a little for evening dinner. If you feel hungry eat a banana between or after meals.

Do not quit carbohydrates; potatoes (boiled) and rice (boiled) are fine.

Plus what is vital: The time that you eat. Eat well at breakfast and lunch, then eat a little for evening dinner. If you feel hungry eat a banana between or after meals.
To the above, I’d like to add:

– drink plenty throughout the day, not just at meal times, preferably unsweetened drinks, of course

– if you can mange it, skip dinner altogether two or three times per week (but drink, even a couple of beers will do and provide you with lots of protein)

– sleep plenty at night

---------------

Maestro

Great info.

As for not eating at night, I heard it doesn't matter. That's a myth. It's all about the total calories you take in. Why would it matter?

I am not sure about it.

Technically it is of course: calories in-calories out=+ or - weight.

The rest ist on how easy it is to perform and how good you feel with it.

The theorie is: if you eat dinner you eat less during the day, so your body saves power. The you eat a late dinner and go sleeping. You don't need much when you sleep, so your body put it on stock (fat) (whatelse it can do with it?), while if you eat less at dinner and more during the day, you don't have that shortage on the day, don't start to save so much and because you work on the day you use the energy instead of putting it on stock.....

Thats the theorie, if it is really that way, or how many percent or for everyone?? I don't know.

I find that it works best to tailor the approach to the individual. Personally, I am never hungry in the morning and if I do eat breakfast, contrary to conventional wisdom, I am then more hungry the rest of the day and gain weight. I know it's not what they say is true, but it's the case for me.

I cannot fall asleep on an empty stomach, and have the least self-control/greatest munchies at night; during the day I am able to eat very moderately. So a no dinner or light dinner approach is an exercise in frustration.

What works for me is no breakfast (although I do take tea with nonfat milk), a light lunch when I feel hungry (usually late afternoon) and then a full, satisfying dinner. I know this is the opposite of standrd advice but it suits me and gives results. Also, I find that heavy physical exercise/exertion before I eat (i,.e. morning and early afternoon) decreases appetite and speed up weight loss. I don't find any difficulty at all with exertion on an empty stomach.

But that's me -- other people will have their own body rhythms and needs. All I can say is that everytime I tried to conform to standard advice (like eating breakfast) I gained weight, and when I finally settled for working out my own regimen based around my body's natural inclinations, I lost weight and kept it off.

Sheryl, maybe a tip for you, I quit eating dinner, which made me feel hungry for about 2 nights, but after that it was gone. Suprise now: I need less sleep. I wake up an hour earlier, go out, and feel wonderful.

Now about 3 to 4 nights a week no dinner... and no more hunger.

Sheryl :o

I never eat anything before 12 o'clock, just not hungry.

I don't eat much at evening, but drink a lot beer and I am slim.

My family usually only eat 1 time per day (evening), just now when they are 70 they eat twice a day and it was always good for them, but might be a disaster for other people.

I find that it works best to tailor the approach to the individual. Personally, I am never hungry in the morning and if I do eat breakfast, contrary to conventional wisdom, I am then more hungry the rest of the day and gain weight. I know it's not what they say is true, but it's the case for me.

I cannot fall asleep on an empty stomach, and have the least self-control/greatest munchies at night; during the day I am able to eat very moderately. So a no dinner or light dinner approach is an exercise in frustration.

What works for me is no breakfast (although I do take tea with nonfat milk), a light lunch when I feel hungry (usually late afternoon) and then a full, satisfying dinner. I know this is the opposite of standrd advice but it suits me and gives results. Also, I find that heavy physical exercise/exertion before I eat (i,.e. morning and early afternoon) decreases appetite and speed up weight loss. I don't find any difficulty at all with exertion on an empty stomach.

But that's me -- other people will have their own body rhythms and needs. All I can say is that everytime I tried to conform to standard advice (like eating breakfast) I gained weight, and when I finally settled for working out my own regimen based around my body's natural inclinations, I lost weight and kept it off.