In the market for new 65"

ezzra

I'm about to retire my 8 years old 50" plasma that have served me well ( paid 200,000 baht than)

I have done lots of homework and internet crawling and PC magazine has given me the best of

their choice for 2013, it's a toss between 2 plasma TV, yes plasma, best picture and performance

you can get from a telly, the contenders are Samsung PN65F8500 or Panasonic P65ZT60,

now, with the Samsung, while checking Samsung Th, they had similar model as PS64F8500AR,

so I called the head office and they told me that I can buy it at power buy, called bower buy and no,

no hab, mi me.. strange thing of all this model has, this morning, disappear fro Samsung website...

with the Pana, they only have the sister of the 65ZT60 they have the 65VT60 that according

to PC mag just as good as the ZT,

Now I can see some feed back saying that plasma has sung the swan song long time ago, yes,

it's correct, but if you read the reviews on those tellys you will see that the beat hands down almost

any other Tv that sixe in the market,

My other choice would have been the LG 65LA9700, a full NANO, full back lit LED with 8.3 million

pixels with all the belles and whistles you can imaging in a telly, but at a hefty price of 130,000 baht...

Would like to hear comment and suggestions....

I have two 65" Panasonic plasmas - an ST50 and a VT50. Picture quality on both is superb, and both were updated to "60" series in 2013, with apparently some incremental PQ improvements.

The only real difference between the two PQ-wise is the VT does a little better in a room with high levels of natural ambient light (the ST50 washes out more) - however in a room with low/no natural ambient light, you'd have to study the picture very hard to see any differences. Outside of that, the VT gets a better remote control, more adjustability, and supposedly better apps (which I never use).

If your room doesn't get too much sunlight, and you don't place any real value in apps/remote, have a look at the ST - it's cheaper and provides 99.5% the PQ of the VT. OTOH, if your room does have plenty of ambient light, you will definitely want the VT.

Edited by IMHO

I have two 65" Panasonic plasmas - an ST50 and a VT50. Picture quality on both is superb, and both were updated to "60" series in 2013, with apparently some incremental PQ improvements.

The only real difference between the two PQ-wise is the VT does a little better in a room with high levels of natural ambient light (the ST50 washes out more) - however in a room with low/no natural ambient light, you'd have to study the picture very hard to see any differences. Outside of that, the VT gets a better remote control, more adjustability, and supposedly better apps (which I never use).

If your room doesn't get too much sunlight, and you don't place any real value in apps/remote, have a look at the ST - it's cheaper and provides 99.5% the PQ of the VT. OTOH, if your room does have plenty of ambient light, you will definitely want the VT.

Thanks for the input...

Apparently there is very little picking in the plasma range here in Bkk, when you mention plasma

the shop's attended look at with bewilderment as why are you asking for an obsolete TV,

At power buy they have the last of the 65VT60 on show priced at 129,000 bath, there're willing to discount

it but I guess it will still be around the 100k which is a bit too much for a superseded model ( now the ZT

is in) so I have time to look around a bit more before I take the plunge...

Thanks for the input...

Apparently there is very little picking in the plasma range here in Bkk, when you mention plasma

the shop's attended look at with bewilderment as why are you asking for an obsolete TV,

At power buy they have the last of the 65VT60 on show priced at 129,000 bath, there're willing to discount

it but I guess it will still be around the 100k which is a bit too much for a superseded model ( now the ZT

is in) so I have time to look around a bit more before I take the plunge...

I just rang the rep I bought mine from (Khun Fung- TV's dept manager for Homepro/directtoshop) and he says that Panasonic plasmas have all been discontinued, and what's left in stock now is it... The biggest he has with 3D and a good panel is a P50ST60 for 45K... no 65" at all, no VT's, no GT's - and according to him, the ZT's never sold here (or he just never stocked them).

I do know that he was selling the P65VT60 for 99K only a few months ago though (same price I paid for my P65VT50) - so maybe you could try to push them down a bit based on that?

Edited by IMHO

I am waiting for either the new Philips Android TV or the LG webOS TV which is due to come out very soon. Its looking good but too new for any kind of reviews so far.

I already have apps in my TV's , in my Bluray players, in my AVR's, apps in media players, oh and a Chromecast.. Every-single-part of the signal chain has apps now.. I guess it's up to you which ones of those makes the most sense to have the app functionality you want - personally I wouldn't be buying a high end panel based on the apps it has... for me it makes more sense that kind of tech is in the cheapest, most-throwaway component ;)

The boys at power buy Ratchada rd. have a display unit of the 65VT60 at 129,00 baht, (crazy price )

I will wait till they will put it on sale at probably half the price as no one buy plasmas any more...

Edited by astral
Removal of long quote - Please use Reply button a the bottom

Yep - with LCD's now so cheap, and 4K's now coming down to hi-end plasma prices, it's hard to sell a high-end plasma 1080P panel .. even if they do still have superior PQ.

Panasonic have ceased all production of plasma panels - so if you really want one, and have found a shop that still has stock, you might want to push them for a deal before they're all gone forever.

The next tech that will compete with them for PQ is OLED, but that's still 2-3 years away from being reasonably priced - reports I have read say that 9/10 OLED's still fail QC - so someone has to pay for the binned ones sad.png

Edited by astral
Removal of long quote - Please use Reply button a the bottom

If you are upgrading now surely you would want to go for a 4k TV ie Samsung UA65F9000 or Sony KD65X9005.

Once they have 4K TV's with HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 and H.265 support (i.e. ones that will actually be able to playback 4K bluray content later this year), yes!

Until models that do all that come out, you'll be buying a panel that locks you into viewing upscaled 1080P content or choppy 4K YouTube videos, and the Panasonic plasmas being discussed here have far better PQ than any LED TV on sale, 4K or not.

If you are upgrading now surely you would want to go for a 4k TV ie Samsung UA65F9000 or Sony KD65X9005.

These models that you have mentioned have not been recommended in any of the

best TV reviews websites, if you have any articles recommending those models

I be happy to read them....

Look at the Feb issue of Home Cinema Choice which was about what 65in TV to buy. These two were joint winners with 5 stars each.

Look at the Feb issue of Home Cinema Choice which was about what 65in TV to buy. These two were joint winners with 5 stars each.

I have nothing against 4K BTW - indeed, I'm just waiting for the right 80"+ 4K panel to launch. The fact is, it's early days though, and the standards/requirements for playback are not yet finalized - until they are, there's no guarantees any of the currently available 4K TV's will actually be up to the task.

What we know so far is that HDMI 2.0 is required in order to support high frame rates, high color depths, and to support 3D @ 4K. We also know that most content providers are pushing for HDCP 2.2 content protection and H.265 encoding - but that's not yet unanimous.

My suggestion is wait until 4K bluray media and players actually exist - only then will we know for sure what panels work and which don't (except for the HDMI 1.4 LG 4K's which we know won't work to the fullest extent of the media).

Edited by IMHO

Checked the availability of those TV on the Thai market so no this Samsung model is available here and the Sony is available at B. 249,000 thank you very much....

Checked the availability of those TV on the Thai market so no this Samsung model is available here and the Sony is available at B. 249,000 thank you very much....

For sale in Num Chai Pattaya 124,000 baht.