What is required to take the bike out of the country. + other random questions.

Shurup

I know it's been posted a number of times, but here is a special question: can a bike be taken out of the country IF it's on another person's name AND I'd that other person is riding with you on their other bike or a car?

Reason for this question is, I'm being transferred to another country to work (it is 28 days on and 28 days off rotation schedule so I'm still going to be in Thailand for my days off) so I had to surrender my work permit and there's a new bike purchase on the horizon.

Both of my current bikes on wife's name, I was going to purchase the next one on my name but things changed. So unless obtaining the correct paperwork is very straight forward and painless procedure, I'm going to put the new bike on wife's name as well.

On another note, I spent some time today in kawasaki show room sitting on the bikes and chatting to sales girl while waiting for the oil change on Ninja 300, and on my way back I stopped at Ducati in Korat and checked out the Monster 796.

Monster looks nice and is as comfortable as the Kawa z800 (comparing the bikes stationary). Ducati is moving to a new location in about a month time, same road but about 10km outside of a Korat on a same side of road.

They do offer test rides do I'll take one for a spin next time I'm back from work.

Do kawasaki offer test rides on their bikes?

If they do, I'll take the z800 for a spin to and if I like the Ducati better, I'll put a deposit on one. Was going to wait till the next year to see if z800 comes out with ABS (Kawa sales girl mentioned that a lot of people are asking about ABS on z800), but if I like the Ducati better then no need to wait.

If it's hard to get a Kawa bike for a test ride, can someone recommend a big bike rental shop that carries z800's?

Sent from my mobile, whatever mobile it is.

Thanks for the reply.

Basically what I was asking, can a person take 2 of his/her vehicles out of the country, with one vehicle being driven/ridden by other person?

You're saying it's possible and you have done it before?

Sent from my mobile, whatever mobile it is.

I have an imported Monster 796 ABS which I bought for Xmas 2011 and have really loved it. Doubt I will ever sell it. It is such an entertaining bike you can weave in and out of traffic with ease. I haven't ridden the Z800 but I did consider the Z1000, but it was just too heavy. The Z800 is 40 kgs heavier than the 796 even though it claims 111 BHP. 796 84 BHP at rear wheel 87 BHP at crank. I've got my 796 up to just under 100 BHP at the rear wheel which is the same as the discontinued 1100 EVO and dropped 20 kgs of krap. Decided to go with the smaller engine due to overheating problems I've had in the past. Major advantages for the 796 is it's air cooled so you won't get hot air blowing on your legs at the lights. Never overheats and has a Single Sided Swingarm. A lighter low end high torque bike will give you much more everyday fun than a high end high torque high revver. You can also change the body panels easily without painting if you need a makeover. The 796 will put a smile on your face and for all practical purposes has just the right amount of power. If you ride solo 796 all the way but if you ride two up highway riding I'd consider the Z1000 or Diavel.

Been thinking about adding a 1290 SuperDuke to my stable but 180 BHP at crank 150 BHP at rear wheel. I don't like being lied to considering the price. Hope this helps. Don't buy a 795.

• Like 1

Thanks for a good summary!

Yes I thought that too that the z800 will loose some of its extra power due to its extra weight.

I def want to test ride both but in the end, if Kawa decide no to sell the ABS version in Thailand, I wouldn't want it.

I will be riding solo, wife got her own bike, plus she wouldn't reach the floor sitting on 796 so it's good :D

Oh, I thought claimed 113HP were at the rear wheel? Kawa looks less appealing now, but I still like the looks.

Anyways, I've just read some disturbing issues with Ducatis regarding the plastic fuel tanks + gasohol fuel.

The issue seems to be 2-3 years old so I'm hoping it's been taken care of.

How old is your 796? 2010-2011? Do you use 95 benzine or gasohol and if later, have you had any issues with plastic tank getting warped from contact with gasohol?

I will have to double check with Ducati dealer regarding their newer models.

95 benzine isn't as freely available as 95 gasohol, could be an issue while traveling.

Oh, I thought claimed 113HP were at the rear wheel? Kawa looks less appealing now, but I still like the looks.

Anyways, I've just read some disturbing issues with Ducatis regarding the plastic fuel tanks + gasohol fuel.

The issue seems to be 2-3 years old so I'm hoping it's been taken care of.

How old is your 796? 2010-2011? Do you use 95 benzine or gasohol and if later, have you had any issues with plastic tank getting warped from contact with gasohol?

I will have to double check with Ducati dealer regarding their newer models.

95 benzine isn't as freely available as 95 gasohol, could be an issue while traveling.

Virtually all European and American bikes will need to use benzine. Only Japanese bikes as far as I know can use gasohol. It's not as difficult to find as you may think. Gasohol damages rubber seals etc. A lot of Caltex stations sell it also PTT and Petronas and small shops at the side of the road. I've never had any problems with my 796 but I've always used benzine. Most manufacturers state the BHP at the crank, but the both bikes will perform about the same in stock form because the Kawa is much heavier. However the Ducati will handle much better IMO.

• Like 1