What can an android phone do that a iphone cant

And how anyone can say the following with a straight face is laughable: "Apple not allowing microSD expansion makes life a lot easier in terms of dealing with storage (android has been steadily backtracking on what the memory card storage can be used for, and now there's actual Nexus phones without expandability). Refusal to support true multitasking helps in battery life and system stability, etc."

I don't think anyone even at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino would buy that line of rationalizations.

Not allowing SD expansion makes life easier? So when your flash memory is full, buying a new, expensive device instead of an inexpensive SD card makes life easier?

Refusing to support multitasking helps in battery life and system stability? I haven't had issues with multi-tasking and system stability, and fortunately, I can upgrade to a 3230mAh battery like I just did for a few bucks. Again, Apple doesn't support SD card expansion, battery upgrades, true multitasking, etc...

And it's not like multitasking is a big battery drainer either.

But back to the original question.

The OP asked what can an Android phone do that an iPhone can't?

Being able to expand storage for well under a dollar per GB is one, replacing or upgrading the battery is another as I just upgraded my 2,150 mAh battery with a 3,230mAh battery for a few bucks and I now get far more battery life between charges.

And if you like to tinker with your phone, customize it, root it, tweak it to your liking, etc..that's also a plus.

Being able to drag and drop files such as MP3's without having to use that God-awful iTunes app is another.

But the biggest is bang for the buck. The iPhone can't come close to an Android phone when it comes to value.

Apple has always been style over substance. The iPhone is no exception.

I've owned two iPhones and two Android phones and I'll never go back to using an iPhone.

• Like 2

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Our company develop mobile apps for iOS and android. For me it's just strange how google deal with there own store. You upload a software and some minutes later it's just available to download from the playstore. For me this feels complete unsafe. Apple proof your app against there rules. That's fine for me. Sure android isn't bad at all. They have some very nice features. But have to say after trying many android phones in the office I switched back every time to the iPhone. It just works. And yes it's not failure free. But who is without any failure? smile.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes agree with this - and why there are so many bad, non-working apps on Google Playstore and viruses too. Windows phone is similar to Apple - Apps need to be certified (bit more logically than Apple does it too IMHO) - they have to fully comply to rules, and have user opt-in and links to privacy statements etc where needed (like anytime data is sent out of the phone - or local stored data is accessed from the app). My daughter has and Android tablet and I have a Google Phone for Dev work (along with iPhone 4S/Win8.1/BB 10 and PB/various tablets/etc) - we are very careful in downloading apps from Playstore or even more so externally! I also write apps/games for phones btw (new game going live this month in fact - out first in Win 7+, then ios and finally Google - maybe BB too later in the year).

Avast Mobile Security will keep your device clean as it scans downloads of all content and not just apps.

And Airpush Detector will scan your phone for any apps that come with ads, so if you find that you're suddenly seeing ads on your phone, run Airpush and it will identify the offending app.

Adobe is still providing Flash support for older devices, although most mobile sites now run HTML5 so the need for Flash is disappearing, but still supported.

Mac O/S 10.x never got along well with Flash anyways. Same with iOS

And I'm not a dev, but I use and experiment with several different custom ROM's. And if one "bricks" my phone, I can restore, even without a PC by using a USB stick or an SD card.

And because Nexus doesn't offer storage expansion via SD card barely measures a blip on the radar as I doubt that the rest of the Android phone industry will follow. It's these innovations that make the Android phones more attractive, as well as the price point.

I can't speak for recent iPhone builds/OS's but my 4S would slow to the point where a reboot was required a few times a day until a JB allowed me to clear the memory (which took a bit of time)

Android offers several apps that let you do the same without a JB, and Rooting the phone allows you to purge the O/S of extraneous, non-essential apps with the "Titanium Pro" app. or to "freeze" unwanted apps.

As stated, I switched from iOS to the Android O/S nearly two years ago and never looked back - for me, the difference is like day and night.

There's a reason why Apple is rapidly losing market share. They are good at innovating products, but tend to rest on their accomplishments while competitors will find ways to improve the product.

As stated, we're seeing a repeat of Apple history again.

Nowadays, the iPhone is more of a status symbol with kids. I'll take substance over style anyday.

As far as "cheap" I can get an Android smart phone for free after rebate that performs on par with an iPhone 4S and has a bigger screen.

Again, how does Apple rationalize charging $600+ for a 5C without a contract? And with a 4" screen to boot?

Again, Apple and iPhones are becoming a smaller and smaller dot in the rear view mirror. The iPod and iPhone saved them from basically going under as less than 10% of the O/S market wasn't going to keep them solvent.

But what will they come up with next to save their azzez?

Even the overpriced, under-performing iMac G3, which saved their azzez in 1998 was again, style over substance.

But they were popular with teenage girls and those in college, but they were more of a fad than anything else and a quick design change brought about the iMac G4, along with an LCD screen.

Again, the G3 didn't allow the user to upgrade to a larger screen, for example. Much in the same way the iPhone doesn't allow the user to expand storage which is why it's quickly losing market share to Android based devices.

Apple could easily make their phones with an expandable memory slot, but they choose not to because they want to keep you buying a new device every two years.

Like I said, I bought a mid-level Android phone nearly two years ago and never looked back. The value and the flexibility of an Android device beats the iPhone in substance in every way, although the iOS looks a bit more polished than that of the Android although 4.4 is quickly closing that gap as well.

The OP asked what can an Android phone do that an iPhone can't?

I would say that being able to expand storage for well under a dollar per GB is one, replacing or upgrading the battery is another as I just upgraded my 2,150 mAh battery with a 3,230mAh battery for a few bucks and I now get far more battery life between charges.

And if you like to tinker with your phone, customize it, root it, tweak it to your liking, etc..that's also a plus.

But the biggest is bang for the buck. The iPhone can't come close to an Android phone when it comes to value.

I think it was the iPods in the 90s rather than the G3 that saved their butts - G3 was very niche. Even though competitors made smaller, better devices, they won as always with style. This allowed them to have pretty shoddy internal design as they don't have to work that long before people are upgrading for a different colour or digit. I remember shelling out 500 quid on a new iPod only to have the hard drive freeze and need replacing just out of warranty - so pay a hundred quid for the fix? No. But the latest model instead - iPod Colour / iPod Photo / iPod Mini / iPhone 1 / iPad 1 / and so on...they have always been more expensive and more style than substance (right back to the Apple IIe days! - 3 times the price of the Cmd64 it sat next to - 4 or 5 times the price of the ZX Spectrum - but heavier and with lower or equal specs! - blown out the water by the Amiga). Apple has never done well when Jobs was away - now he is away forever - we'll see how it fares.

I think the iMac G3 bought them some time, but the iPod really saved them.

I opted for the Dell Jukebox 20GB player and the player and hard drive still work after 10 years although I don't really use it much, but it still holds a charge and plays music.

When I wanted something without a hard drive, I went with a Sansa 8GB player that had an FM radio built in along with picture viewer and ability to view video on its small screen. That still works as well even though it's about 7 years old. And it cost far less than a iPod as well and did more.

I never understood why Apple keeps their O/S tied to their hardware and doesn't make their hardware available to others.

Windows will run on just about any PC, even one you build yourself, while the Apple OS will only run on an Apple computer built and sold by Apple at a premium price.

Same with their phones.

You want to buy an Apple Smart Phone? Be prepared to shell out a lot of money. The 5C is $199 for a 16GB model and 399 for a 64GB model.That's with a contract.

Without a contract, and you're looking at well over $600 USD,. That's just insane for a 1.3GHz Dual-Core, 1GB RAM phone with a 4" display and just 16GB internal storage.

How do they justify that price?

And it's still only a 4" screen which is minimum size these days. I'm not one for "Phablets" but I think 4.5" is the minimum for smartphones with 5" being optimal.

Anything bigger is a pain to carry unless you're a woman with a purse or you are wearing a jacket with pockets. Not during Summer and for sure not in Thailand.

Maybe in the pockets of Cargo shorts, but I find 4.5"-5" perfect. 4" is just too small, especially for the price.

Want to buy an Android phone? You can get an entry level phone such as the previously mentioned LG Optimus L70 for free after rebates from a no-contract carrier like Metro PCS in the US

Add a 64GB SD Card for $40.00 and you have pretty much everything and more that a $600 iPhone can do with similar hardware specs.

It's a 4G phone, but not 4GLTE, but for free, a great smart phone: http://www.metropcs.com/metro/category/PhonesandMore/Phones/Android/detail/LG_Optimus_L70/610214635211

Metro is also merging with T-Mobile, so they will have more selections of phones as well as expanded coverage.

And plans starting at $40.00 a month in the US. I'm sure in Thailand, no-contract carriers are probably about $10.00 a month for everything, if that.

This is why Android beats the heck out of Apple. With Apple, you have to pay $600 for an entry-level phone. Or pay $200 and be tied to a 2-year, expensive monthly contract that comes out in the end to paying $600 for the device.

Android OS runs on numerous makes/models of phones from entry-level to top of the line, and anyone can afford a free smart phone running Kit Kat 4.4 with a 1.5GHz CPU and 1GB RAM as well as 4GB on board storage with room for more storage via SD Card and with unlimited calls and text plans starting at 30-40 dollars a month.

Apple did the same thing with the PC and they are making the same mistake with smart phones and will find themselves eventually at about 10% of the market. Again.

Seems like Apple is great at innovation - the PC, the iPod, the iPhone, but they are stubborn about marketing their products, everything is proprietary and other companies whether it be IBM or Samsung come along, improve on their product at a lesser price and make it available to far more people, then Apple ends up with a tiny market share.

No idea how you can credit Apple with the "innovation" of the PC - I think IBM has that one :). In fact, their only innovation has been style - ever as far as I can recount. iPod - nope, there were portable digital music device before iPod (IXI in 1979!!! - the inventor Brit Kane Kramer was hired by Apple for the iPod btw - or actually produced: Audible's "Mobile Player" 1997, SIS's MPMan also 1997 (flash based MP3 player!), Diamond Rio (also 1997), HamGo (DAP like the first iPod - 1998), Creative's NOMAD (DAP/Microdrive 6GB! - 2000), Cowon iAudio (see even the 'i' prefix wasn't new! - 2000) - iPod released Oct 23 2001 (5GB DAP).

iPad? not even close - first real tablet was around 1993 (16 years before iPad) - however these date back to the 1950s! (Arthur C Clarke even added them into 2001 after hearing a public demonstration of a keyboard-less computer using hand written input from a sensor pad). Even Microsoft beat Apple by a year with the Microsoft Tablet PC.

iPhone - erm, no. Mobile phones, even smart phones aplenty pre-date the iPhone.

Apple uses a different economics than Microsoft, or ASUS etc. The latter type companies make products and then sell them to anyone that buys them - they are like Ford, relying on a mass scale profit (smaller margins, larger sales). Apple tries to be more Rolls Royce - selling fewer, but able to make big margins by selling not only style, but kudos. No one shows off their el-cheapo Nokia! They are starting to take hits aplenty on this though with Samsung and other biting at their heels. Even a recurrence of Blackberry, now on more stable ground, could cause issue soon - and Microsoft are trying their hardest to dent the popularity with cheaper smart phones, amazing cameras (50+ Megapixel mobiles!), cheap licensing for developers (even free Unity Xbox 1 licences for those with windows dev licenses - saving 1500 USD), free dev software (Visual Studio - DirectX - XNA (now obsolete - but transfers directly into MonoGame which crosses all 3 platforms and more). Windows is still the 3rd in the race, but gaining market share year on year - consumer reports suggest 10 years and they will have market share

if the trend continues.

If Apple software run on build-yourself-PCs, then several things happen: The OS is put in direct competition with other off-shelf OSs like Windows and various Linux distros and would need to compete on like-for-like function, speed and usability, etc; People who really like the OS would buy cheaper machines to realise it (i.e. just about every art student/architect/DTP/designer/Journalist/author/etc would simply use a cheaper machine - after all Apple are all just Intel chip sets these days like most PCs); The OS would have to compete on price; it would be more open to attack - and the onslaught of virii and malware; It would have to be made much more general and accept drivers for any add-ons and devices, which would also allow the same devices to be used in Apple machines without paying Apple a license fee; If it was general, then another OS would also work on Apple Machines and people who like the hardware but not the OS would no longer pay for OS upgrades; but the main reason is (was) that Apple sells (traditionally sold) hardware based ion upgrading of software - that is, the newest OS is on the latest machines so its a new machine rather than just a software upgrade - although this has been less true since Snow Leopard with upgrades easier to Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks.

Our company develop mobile apps for iOS and android. For me it's just strange how google deal with there own store. You upload a software and some minutes later it's just available to download from the playstore. For me this feels complete unsafe. Apple proof your app against there rules. That's fine for me. Sure android isn't bad at all. They have some very nice features. But have to say after trying many android phones in the office I switched back every time to the iPhone. It just works. And yes it's not failure free. But who is without any failure? smile.png

Yes agree with this - and why there are so many bad, non-working apps on Google Playstore and viruses too. Windows phone is similar to Apple - Apps need to be certified (bit more logically than Apple does it too IMHO) - they have to fully comply to rules, and have user opt-in and links to privacy statements etc where needed (like anytime data is sent out of the phone - or local stored data is accessed from the app). My daughter has and Android tablet and I have a Google Phone for Dev work (along with iPhone 4S/Win8.1/BB 10 and PB/various tablets/etc) - we are very careful in downloading apps from Playstore or even more so externally! I also write apps/games for phones btw (new game going live this month in fact - out first in Win 7+, then ios and finally Google - maybe BB too later in the year).

Avast Mobile Security will keep your device clean as it scans downloads of all content and not just apps.

And Airpush Detector will scan your phone for any apps that come with ads, so if you find that you're suddenly seeing ads on your phone, run Airpush and it will identify the offending app.

Off Topic, but (as you brought it up :) - does Avast work OK on the Android phone? I am wary because I downloaded and installed the BB version on my BB phone and PlayBook, and it just caused them both to crash and freeze all the time. So I removed it. I use it on my PC (full version obviously), and it is fine, but does really go to town on CPU when it scans (much more so than Avira did - but it also scans in about 1/3 of the time and is cheaper).

Choose what you prefer and live and let live. If I'm happy in Apple's walled garden, what's it to you?

If you're happy in Apple's walled "garden", why the question, "what's it to you"?

The OP was asking (for him/her) a legitimate question.

Choose what you prefer and live and let live. If I'm happy in Apple's walled garden, what's it to you?

If you're happy in Apple's walled "garden", why the question, "what's it to you"?

You know everyone talks about a walled garden but it isn't really is it, the only thing is you need to buy your apps from iTunes but for that you get a guarantee that apps are policed and you ain't gonna end up with some app that's going to steal data that to me seems a good trade off, it's pretty similar to android 90% of uses are going to get there apps from google play but the difference is you could be installing any old crap as what's ion the description is not always always in the tin; yes you can install from elsewhere but even on my JB phone I can install any app from anywhere, iTunes is a bit of a clunk to be honest but I can use something like syncios instead.

I believe that the level if privacy can be fine grains better on a iOS device than it can on a android but I'm not sure which is why in looking for differences I see the one downside is all the google crap on there and other manuacturers apps that cannot easily be removed without rooting.

The one thing I can see a big advantage with iOS is things like FaceTime , iMessage, photo stream, shared photos which are not available on android unless you use google products( which are also available for iOS) but then you are into the world if sneaky privacy google.

You know everyone talks about a walled garden but it isn't really is it, the only thing is you need to buy your apps from iTunes but for that you get a guarantee that apps are policed and you ain't gonna end up with some app that's going to steal data that to me seems a good trade off, it's pretty similar to android 90% of uses are going to get there apps from google play but the difference is you could be installing any old crap as what's ion the description is not always always in the tin; yes you can install from elsewhere but even on my JB phone I can install any app from anywhere, iTunes is a bit of a clunk to be honest but I can use something like syncios instead.

I believe that the level if privacy can be fine grains better on a iOS device than it can on a android but I'm not sure which is why in looking for differences I see the one downside is all the google crap on there and other manuacturers apps that cannot easily be removed without rooting.

The one thing I can see a big advantage with iOS is things like FaceTime , iMessage, photo stream, shared photos which are not available on android unless you use google products( which are also available for iOS) but then you are into the world if sneaky privacy google.

Apple fanboy try to counter post 61 about swapping batteries and mini sdcards and such.. face it your paying for style and not quality cheesy.gif

You seem to be answering your own question...

Not sure why you're even considering changing? You say you only see one downside - even though you list many, many more - "...the one downside is all the google crap on there...", which for most would be more than enough.

I was looking at options to change in terms of functionality so far after 3 pages the only thing people are saying is swaping out the battery, no need to use iTunes and Apple stuff which is not a problem but not one post has said something like the camera is better it managing photos and albums is better etc it's all jut bitching about apple no good

Not sure why you're even considering changing? You say you only see one downside - even though you list many, many more - "...the one downside is all the google crap on there...", which for most would be more than enough.

He was trolling and slapped hard, while mac computers might be good the phones are light years back to the competition flexibilility wise:

- Can't add your own extra storage space (or get raped by apple money wise)

- Cant change your own battery

- Can't just drag and drop files you have to use Itunes and when it goes wrong you have to break in to get your own songs back

- Your always paying more even without taking in consideration the previous points

- You live your life in apples walled garden

- Size of the device (not much choice there)

The list goes on but most intelligent people understand apple users are just buying it for style and are getting raped money wise and smiling while it happens. cheesy.gif

He was trolling and slapped hard, while mac computers might be good the phones are light years back to the competition flexibilility wise:

- Can't add your own extra storage space (or get raped by apple money wise)

- Cant change your own battery

- Can't just drag and drop files you have to use Itunes and when it goes wrong you have to break in to get your own songs back

- Your always paying more even without taking in consideration the previous points

- You live your life in apples walled garden

- Size of the device (not much choice there)

The list goes on but most intelligent people understand apple users are just buying it for style and are getting raped money wise and smiling while it happens. cheesy.gif

LOL having a difference of opinion doesn't mean trolling it means having a difference of opinion which I the whole reason for a forum in the first place you of all people should know that seems as though 90% of your posts across the whole forum are argumentative if somebody disagrees with your comments

But OP in the end you have to work with it.

I tried both phones and gave the iphone to the gf and at that time bought a S3. I was really fed up with ITUNES and found it a revelation to be able to ad an SD card at low cost to extend storage.(loved the bigger screen too)

I never looked back to IPHONE found it a great change. My Ipad and Ipod I still love. Though if possible I would have changed my IPAD for a galaxy tab too same reasons as why i changed the IPHONE.. Itunes not being able to just easily transfer music files movies and such between computer and device always needing to use Itunes.

I even bought a mac-book air (was cheaper as a comparable laptop) and put windows on it. The gf still uses the mac part and it seems decent enough. If you were to compare a mac-book with an other laptop there would be a much stronger case as IPHONE vs Android because that is a lost battle. The advantages mentioned are not little advantages but large ones.

But if you are used to IPHONE and like it why change then you are used to it and as you say you don't need those big advantages.

I for one am fed up with ITUNES and absolutely hate it. I wanted to connect my IPOD to my mac-book air in and take all the songs there and setting so i could from now on manage the ipod on the mac-book because its supposed to be better.. Could not be done. The walls apple build are too bad and piss people off.

I tried both phones and gave the iphone to the gf and at that time bought a S3. I was really fed up with ITUNES and found it a revelation to be able to ad an SD card at low cost to extend storage.(loved the bigger screen too)

I never looked back to IPHONE found it a great change. My Ipad and Ipod I still love. Though if possible I would have changed my IPAD for a galaxy tab too same reasons as why i changed the IPHONE.. Itunes not being able to just easily transfer music files movies and such between computer and device always needing to use Itunes.

I even bought a mac-book air (was cheaper as a comparable laptop) and put windows on it. The gf still uses the mac part and it seems decent enough. If you were to compare a mac-book with an other laptop there would be a much stronger case as IPHONE vs Android because that is a lost battle. The advantages mentioned are not little advantages but large ones.

But if you are used to IPHONE and like it why change then you are used to it and as you say you don't need those big advantages.

I for one am fed up with ITUNES and absolutely hate it. I wanted to connect my IPOD to my mac-book air in and take all the songs there and setting so i could from now on manage the ipod on the mac-book because its supposed to be better.. Could not be done. The walls apple build are too bad and piss people off.

I guess the title is a bit misleading i was more looking for software type thing, the fact you cannot change the battery is not a biggie for me or the fact less RAM doesnt mean anything because I dont play games, i dont need to have 2gb ram just to use whatsapp, instagram etc everything else about the restrictions to a iphone that has been mentioned is only applicable if you do it the apple way, you do not need to use Itunes for anything you can use ifunbox and use the phone like a flash drive, you can use syncios to transfer music, videos etc and the phone is jailbroken so i can tweak it.

I have a 4s and its time i updraded so was looking for a software comparison becasue that is what really counts, there are things about a iphone that gripe me and iv written about them in previous posts, things like not able to move from camera roll into albums(actually move them rather than a pointer) cropping photos and then when you send to somebody via IM they get uncropped, taking a video in portrait only to transfer it to pc and it be 90 degrees to the left, these things annoy the hell out of me so was looking at moving to a android but so far not 1 poster has said ' well i like this feature or i like that feature so i figure that maybe there really isnt that many differences between the 2 from a user experience but only hardware differences which in the grand scheme of things doesnt matter.

I guess the title is a bit misleading i was more looking for software type thing, the fact you cannot change the battery is not a biggie for me or the fact less RAM doesnt mean anything because I dont play games, i dont need to have 2gb ram just to use whatsapp, instagram etc everything else about the restrictions to a iphone that has been mentioned is only applicable if you do it the apple way, you do not need to use Itunes for anything you can use ifunbox and use the phone like a flash drive, you can use syncios to transfer music, videos etc and the phone is jailbroken so i can tweak it.

I have a 4s and its time i updraded so was looking for a software comparison becasue that is what really counts, there are things about a iphone that gripe me and iv written about them in previous posts, things like not able to move from camera roll into albums(actually move them rather than a pointer) cropping photos and then when you send to somebody via IM they get uncropped, taking a video in portrait only to transfer it to pc and it be 90 degrees to the left, these things annoy the hell out of me so was looking at moving to a android but so far not 1 poster has said ' well i like this feature or i like that feature so i figure that maybe there really isnt that many differences between the 2 from a user experience but only hardware differences which in the grand scheme of things doesnt matter.

For me the gripes were ITUNES not being able to move my songs and movies freely.

If i was so interested in hardware id go for the S5 and dump the s3 but it does what I want.

You should have been clear on it what you wanted to know.

But as android you can move all your photos and files around however you want as it is just a harddisk, you can manage it as a harddisk without restrictions. So you can move and make albums all you like. I must say I never looked into that too much myself. I did have that problem on my IPAD and it also drove me wild. I hated the photo management there.

alright here we go!

Adobe is still providing Flash support for older devices, although most mobile sites now run HTML5 so the need for Flash is disappearing, but still supported.

"letting older archived versions be downloadable" does not equal "support". And are you seriously advocating buying obsolete devices? There's no point doing it. "It doesn't matter if no modern Android unit comes with Flash because old obsolete ones used to" sounds like pretty weak sauce. If Flash was right for mobile, Android would not have abandoned it since Jelly Bean. Saying it's no longer necessary due to HTML5 does not help your case since Apple pushed for widespread HTML5 adoption as an alternative to Flash.

And how anyone can say the following with a straight face is laughable: "Apple not allowing microSD expansion makes life a lot easier in terms of dealing with storage (android has been steadily backtracking on what the memory card storage can be used for, and now there's actual Nexus phones without expandability). Refusal to support true multitasking helps in battery life and system stability, etc."

I don't think anyone even at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino would buy that line of rationalizations.

Not allowing SD expansion makes life easier? So when your flash memory is full, buying a new, expensive device instead of an inexpensive SD card makes life easier?

Android has been steadily restricting the usage of memory expansion with each release. You've gone from being able to install apps on to the SD card, to installing only some apps on the SD card, to installing no apps on the SD card, to now not even allowing apps the access they used to have to the SD card (breaking plenty of apps). Why is Android abandoning past differentiating features vs. Apple? Because those differentiating "advantages" cause problems that are not worth the hassle. Android is converging onto the decisions Apple has made right from the start.

With one unified storage area per Apple this conversation (which has happened many times) does not happen -

" how come I can't install this new app? It says I'm out of space?"

"let me see. Yeah you're out of space on internal memory"

"I stuck a brand new memory card inside!"

"sigh that's not internal memory. ok let me explain..."

(and this can also apply to data, if they aren't prompted (or don't click "ok") for moving data to an SD card)

you also don't have

"my download disappeared!"

"which folder did you check?"

"what do you mean which? Why would I have more than one downloads folder?"

back in the days when you could put apps on cards you also had issues where the entire system gets stalled because parts of what needs to be loaded into memory is being loaded at different speeds which relates to the next issue -

we haven't even considered the hardware issue of the build quality of a the memory cards out in the market. There is a lot of crap out there. There's even been instances of fake-labeled SD cards (i.e. stuff that failed QC put into fake name-brand packaging). By being responsible for all the memory inside the phone Apple is hoping to forestall people blaming it when lowest-cost-bidding memory cards bought from street corners chews up your last photo of Grandma. If the phone memory corrupts then you can rightly blame Apple. with SD card problems (often intermittent) sometimes nobody knows is going on.

The only advantage for expansion memory now for Android is if you really need it on your phone right now, and can't leave it for when you get home later. the i-device way is to move it off onto external storage (e.g. wirelessly with hard disk attached to Airport?, for those who really really really hate iTunes?), with hard disks having a cheaper cost per GB.

there is no antivirus app that is 100% effective at detecting malware.

for an admitted non-dev you need to be less certain about some of your assertions.

Edited by build6

No idea how you can credit Apple with the "innovation" of the PC - I think IBM has that one smile.png. In fact, their only i

The Apple ][ was advertised as a "Personal Computer" tongue.png . I know for a fact that predates IBM's offering biggrin.png

written input from a sensor pad). Even Microsoft beat Apple by a year with the Microsoft Tablet PC.

sigh, nobody remembers the Newton.

the i-devices didn't appear onto the scene without precedent. Apple tried once before.

anyways in case anybody's actually still reading for buying advice -

Screen size - It's not necessary to equate "small screen size" with "worse". If you need a big screen then ok, that's that. But Sony's Z1 Compact is selling pretty well and that is directly targeted at the market of people who don't want a big screen. Not everybody's ideal car is a hummer, for example.

Market share - I'm not sure of the relevance. If Apple's sales have stopped growing that would be an issue, but that Android is selling more phones (many of which are at lower price points to people who simply cannot afford Apple prices, not that they don't want to) does not seem like unambiguous support of the premise that Android is better. And it's ironic that greater market share is used alongside the argument that Apple users are just faddish crowd-followers tongue.png

OK, for your past experience with crop problems etc - you might want to try editing with the iMovie app (it's free for iOS 7 devices), before you try sending it via IM/moving to PC etc.

Function without iTunes. Lots of android phones have an Infrared remote control built in. So control any of your TVs etc all from your your phone. Download videos from YouTube (tube mate app) download any podcast without iTunes (podcast addict). Expend the storage capacity for peanuts. Better battery life. Faster. Much faster. The ability to play and use any file format you can imagine. Cheaper. Cheaper accessories. Better supported. Older android phones will be better supported for new versions of andoird. Compare galaxy s3 to iPhone 4 for example running android 4.4 vs ios 7.

Always twice the spec for about half of the price with android.

IOS more suited to older folk, females and children.

80% of phones sold now are android. Just look at the Chinese.

It all depends how much money you've got and what you want it to do.

In the UK betting apps are much better on iOS as are some productivity apps. It all depends what your requirements are.

I personally couldn't live the iOS colours or iTunes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Off Topic, but (as you brought it up smile.png - does Avast work OK on the Android phone? I am wary because I downloaded and installed the BB version on my BB phone and PlayBook, and it just caused them both to crash and freeze all the time. So I removed it. I use it on my PC (full version obviously), and it is fine, but does really go to town on CPU when it scans (much more so than Avira did - but it also scans in about 1/3 of the time and is cheaper).

I've been running Avast on both my PC and my Android phones for the past 2 years and it works great. No viruses, Malware and all downloads are scanned.

Highly recommend this AV for Android as well as for your PC

It runs in the background and uses very little resources.

alright here we go!

"letting older archived versions be downloadable" does not equal "support". And are you seriously advocating buying obsolete devices? There's no point doing it. "It doesn't matter if no modern Android unit comes with Flash because old obsolete ones used to" sounds like pretty weak sauce. If Flash was right for mobile, Android would not have abandoned it since Jelly Bean. Saying it's no longer necessary due to HTML5 does not help your case since Apple pushed for widespread HTML5 adoption as an alternative to Flash.

Android has been steadily restricting the usage of memory expansion with each release. You've gone from being able to install apps on to the SD card, to installing only some apps on the SD card, to installing no apps on the SD card, to now not even allowing apps the access they used to have to the SD card (breaking plenty of apps). Why is Android abandoning past differentiating features vs. Apple? Because those differentiating "advantages" cause problems that are not worth the hassle. Android is converging onto the decisions Apple has made right from the start.

With one unified storage area per Apple this conversation (which has happened many times) does not happen -

(and this can also apply to data, if they aren't prompted (or don't click "ok") for moving data to an SD card)

you also don't have

back in the days when you could put apps on cards you also had issues where the entire system gets stalled because parts of what needs to be loaded into memory is being loaded at different speeds which relates to the next issue -

we haven't even considered the hardware issue of the build quality of a the memory cards out in the market. There is a lot of crap out there. There's even been instances of fake-labeled SD cards (i.e. stuff that failed QC put into fake name-brand packaging). By being responsible for all the memory inside the phone Apple is hoping to forestall people blaming it when lowest-cost-bidding memory cards bought from street corners chews up your last photo of Grandma. If the phone memory corrupts then you can rightly blame Apple. with SD card problems (often intermittent) sometimes nobody knows is going on.

The only advantage for expansion memory now for Android is if you really need it on your phone right now, and can't leave it for when you get home later. the i-device way is to move it off onto external storage (e.g. wirelessly with hard disk attached to Airport?, for those who really really really hate iTunes?), with hard disks having a cheaper cost per GB.

for an admitted non-dev you need to be less certain about some of your assertions.

I never made the "100%" claim. You did and put those words in my mouth, then argued against your own words.

• Like 1

I never made the "100%" claim. You did and put those words in my mouth, then argued against your own words.

Alternatively, the 100% statement is just that. Did not attribute the statement to you?

• Like 1

alright here we go!

you also don't have

Buy from a reputable vendor and don't skimp on non-brand name SD cards.

And don't put words in my mouth with your 100% claim.

The lengths that the Apple apologists will go to in order to tear down competitors.

If Apple products were all that, they wouldn't find it necessary to tear down competitors in order to bring them down to their level.

And if you Root your Android, you can move nearly all of your apps to SD.

My phone has 4.3 GB of internal memory and I use about half of it because 75% of my apps are on SD, along with my MP3's and video files.

Most newer Android OS and apps will allow the user to move nearly all of their apps to SD

Even a lady friend can do so with Android OS 4.0.4 after I rooted her device and installed an app that allows her to move most apps to SD

There are people still running 4.0.4 as they don't have OS upgrades forced on them when they plug their device into their PC

And again, Apple pushed for HTML 5 because OS 10.x does not play well with Flash, especially with MS Office on the same PC and I imagine iOS faces the same issues.

Regardless, it's still nice to have a choice. Especially for those that don't buy a new device every year or have a new OS forced upon them.

I'm not a Dev, but worked as an AP (Associate Producer) for a major software company, so I'm not completely out of the loop on the shortcomings of OS 10.x

And no one is advocating buying older devices. It's that older Android OS's are still supported, unlike Apple which tries to force an OS upgrade on you whenever you plug your device into your PC and that dreaded, God-awful iTunes comes up.

Again, you're misrepresenting what I wrote in an attempt to bolster your argument.

And I just test drove KitKat 4.4 and see no evidence of your claim that Android is scaling back the ability to migrate apps and files to SD

It's nice to be able to pop in a top-quality, name-brand 64GB SD card into your device once your internal storage fills up instead of having to upgrade your entire device at a hefty cost.

And don't buy your SD cards from China on eBay. Problem solved.

Newegg is usually a safe bet and they have a great return policy and they have a feedback rating system similar to eBay's so you know if you are buying quality or junk.

And as mentioned, newegg is great with RA's as well as fast. And a name-brand, 64GB Class 10 SD Card is a lot less expensive than upgrading your entire device because you're out of room. 32GB and even 64GBs of storage fills up fast, especially if you have HD content and/or a large MP3 collection.

Again, your arguments wouldn't fly at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, where I sometimes use their facilities for research.

The subsidized food court there is nice though.

Mac users are almost cult-like in their defense of their restrictive, proprietary, overpriced products.

And I doubt that manufacturers such as Sammy, LG and others are interested in making their devices less flexible because that's part of what sets them apart from iOS and makes them successful.

What's next - a claim that Sammy, LG and others won't let you swap out the battery anymore?

And there are plenty of reasons for expanded memory - why else would Apple offer an iPhone/iPad with 64GB of internal memory?

I can fit my entire MP3 Library, tons of HD Movies, apps, pics and other content on a 64 GB SD card the size of my fingernail.

I can also swap it into a friend's phone as well so they can enjoy my content or copy songs and files depending on how much internal RAM they have, or plug the device into a PC and drag and drop content to their PC so they can later Drag & Drop the content to their SD card without jumping thru all of the iTunes hoops.

And who would put files on an SD card and not have those files backed up in several places, such as a PC, in the "cloud" on DVD's, on other media, etc...

Especially with the costs of Hard Drives these days as well as 128GB USB drives and 64GB SD Cards.

Only a fool would put their only copy of a treasured pic or other content on 1 form of media and just the single copy.

I guess those few remaining people will have to learn the hard way, but nowadays, everyone has at least one backup of their files, if not several and with Android, Google automatically backs up your content to the "cloud" so if your HD were to fail, you can still retrieve your content and restore you phone to exactly the way it looked along with all of your content and contacts and everything else.

Not sure how Apple is doing things these days as I haven't used an iPhone with any regularity in nearly two years, but iTunes is just a freakin' PITA.

And that's just a weak argument about sub-standard SD cards and Apple's internal memory isn't "100%" fail-safe either and iPhones are more likely to be stolen.

Fortunately, there are many apps that will allow you to track your lost/stolen phone regardless if it's an iPhone or an Android phone, will take a pic with both cameras, give you the ability to shut it down, etc...

This is the only advantage to having a non-removable battery, but I don't plan on have my phone stolen anytime soon since it's not a "prized" iPhone.

And again, Android devices are about 1/2 the cost of a similar iDevice, Not to mention the 4" screen on the iPhone. How long are they going to stick with that small screen? Anyone that says 4" is plenty just isn't being honest.

Again, my phone has a 4.5" screen and the difference between that 0.5" of screen is day and night. 0.5" may not seem like much until you put them side by side.

I think 5" would be optimal without heading into "Phablet" territory, although I have a 32GB Asus Tablet that also accepts a 32 GB SD and costs far less than a 32GB iPad, and I can enjoy movies, vids, YT, music, etc...on the 10.1" screen.

Even though it has an older version of Android 4.0 on it, it was a steal at $149.00 for a refurb with a 1-year warranty thru TigerDirect on sale last Black Friday.

I take it with me on long trips or even on my commute if I'm not driving. Same with my 4.5" screen Android phone if I'm not going to be in one place all day and don't feel like lugging a tablet around all day.

That's why 5" IMO is optimal.

Nearly everyone I know in dev and the IT industry in general has dumped their iPhone for an Android-based device.

There's a reason why Android devices continue to collect a larger market share while Apple and the iPhone is shrinking.

And most Apple user's I know were a bit underwhelmed with the latest iPhone release.

Steve Jobs was a great innovator, but now that he's gone, let's see what Apple comes up with next to keep them in the game.

• Like 2