Top Gear producer admits Jeremy Clarkson's 'slope' remark WAS joke about Asian man

webfact

During the Vietnam war ,the "slopes" dinks and gooks and viets,japs.... were all aiming at us soldiers ,not for laughing but to kill them .( and visa versa)

Surely the slopes had some other names for us soldiers,maybe called them "falang"?

Was this racism? Not at all ,us soldiers called german soldiers "jerry",and there was no race difference at all.

So dont com crying about racism all the time !

In fact racism is a very rare fenomen ,were you really hate another race for whatever stupid reason .

99% of us wont mint to sleep with a beautiful vietnamese ,congolese,birmese,thai........so 99% is not racist.(nor were us soldiers during the war!)

So put Jeremy Clarkson in bed with some other race ladies and let him prove he is not a racist !

And let them all shut up and ban the word "racism" ,hitler is long gone and the few that think like him are hard to find .coffee1.gif

Ummm, the Vietnam war is long over. From the time one tribe threw rocks at another, people at war have come up with derogatory terms for the enemy as part of the process of dehumanising them (easier to kill a gook than a person). But I don't think my Japanese and German friends would like be called nips or krauts today, even if those words only technically refer to a country and cabbage respectively.

My understanding was that 'slope' was a reference to Asian's eyes... hard to spin that as not being offensive. I wonder how many people coming to Clarkson's defence here are among those who are outraged by the word, farang, which just comes from the word for 'Frank' (Western European, French)....

So when it is offensive is it racism ?

Clarkson could be offensive ,ok,not nice ,but this has nothing to do with racism ,that's my point .

The word "racism" became an easy weapon in the hands of loosers,that's my point.

Its racism when its a white man saying it..

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the Vietnam war ,the "slopes" dinks and gooks and viets,japs.... were all aiming at us soldiers ,not for laughing but to kill them .( and visa versa)

Surely the slopes had some other names for us soldiers,maybe called them "falang"?

Was this racism? Not at all ,us soldiers called german soldiers "jerry",and there was no race difference at all.

In fact racism is a very rare fenomen ,were you really hate another race for whatever stupid reason .

99% of us wont mint to sleep with a beautiful vietnamese ,congolese,birmese,thai........so 99% is not racist.(nor were us soldiers during the war!)

So put Jeremy Clarkson in bed with some other race ladies and let him prove he is not a racist !

And let them all shut up and ban the word "racism" ,hitler is long gone and the few that think like him are hard to find .coffee1.gif

Ummm, the Vietnam war is long over. From the time one tribe threw rocks at another, people at war have come up with derogatory terms for the enemy as part of the process of dehumanising them (easier to kill a gook than a person). But I don't think my Japanese and German friends would like be called nips or krauts today, even if those words only technically refer to a country and cabbage respectively.

My understanding was that 'slope' was a reference to Asian's eyes... hard to spin that as not being offensive. I wonder how many people coming to Clarkson's defence here are among those who are outraged by the word, farang, which just comes from the word for 'Frank' (Western European, French)....

Clarkson could be offensive ,ok,not nice ,but this has nothing to do with racism ,that's my point .

The word "racism" became an easy weapon in the hands of loosers,that's my point.

Its racism when its a white man saying it..

Correctly

Fair point. We could probably argue all day how to define racism. I personally believe that a person can use a racist word without being racist themselves. Such words can also be used out of ignorance or plain insensitivity without having any of the negative attitudes I'd associate with racism.

So a racist comment or ethnic slur will be inappropriate (it understandably offends a category of people), but we should be careful before accusing the speaker of racism.

It’s ironic that some can sit and listen to the words such as N..g.., Honky, Redneck, Skinnies and a whole string of others) in number of Movies, some very recent by the way, (i.e. Borat, The Dictator, Bad Boys I & II, ..) and no one says BOO or makes an issue out of the word content/phrases used in them. Others movies which used similar words/phrases, such as Pulp Fiction, Black Hawk Down, Ace Ventura, are considered Classics, without criticism.

It would seem ok to some, that Hollywood or the Movie making fraternity, are relatively free to use whatever racist and or derogatory words/language/overtones that they want to and that is acceptable. Yet JC makes a single comment, which could arguably be interpreted in one of two ways, either directed towards the man on the bridge or to the bridge itself and he is fair game to all the "Lounge Chair Critics" and incurs the Roth of the Nobody Indian Actress..

To criticize JC over a the use single word, smells of Hypocrisy and Jealousy!!

I just wonder how many of the Lounge Chair Critics have sat and watched the above Movies and had a chuckle at the content, rather than getting up and storming out of the room because they viewed it at racist. Those of you who have watched BORAT or THE DICTATOR and haven't enjoyed it, raise your hands!!

As I said, I would attribute a large majority of the criticism being levied at JC, more to the fact that they are jealous of his success, rather than for what he actually said or inferred.

"We could probably argue all day how to define racism"

Actually pretty easy. According to Merriam & Webster "the belief that some races of people are better than others"

"but we should be careful before accusing the speaker of racism"

Agreed, but is JC being accused of racism or just using a racist slur? Or does using a racist slur make you a racist? From what I've seen of him I'm pretty sure he thinks he's superior to everyone not just other races.

And if you turn the sound up of the Top Gear Video you can hear the Asian muttering to himself "Gweilo" meaning foreign devils.

I didn't realise they spoke Cantonese in Thailand

Get you facts correct, this video was shot in Myanmar not Thailand. In Burmah they speak over 100 languages including Sino-Tibetan and Chinese, in any case this is meant as an illustration.

What would you think the Asian was thinking to himself when he is trying to walk across a defective bridge built by white men that has an obvious slope to it?

Get your facts correct. The bridge that they built was over the River Kwai.

River Kware if one is talking about getting facts right, There is no river Kwai, Please be diligent and ask any Thai.biggrin.png

And if you turn the sound up of the Top Gear Video you can hear the Asian muttering to himself "Gweilo" meaning foreign devils.

Problem is "Slope" is not a term used in the UK to describe Asians, it is a term used by Americans and Australians. We use a different term popularised by Prince Philip.

In the UK we used the term "Slope" to describe someone who avoids hard work. This comes from the Army term "Slope Arms" (Shoulder Arms) meaning that the soldier carries the weight of his rifle on his shoulder. So a soldier who slopes off does not carry his weight (rifle) and is avoiding work.

"Gweilo" is Chinese for "round eye" not foreign devils. I think he was trying to say buffarow...build bridge wit a srope?

"River Kware if one is talking about getting facts right, There is no river Kwai, Please be diligent and ask any Thai."

Sorry but the bridge (or bridges since there were 2) actually spanned the Mae Klong but as the railway subsequently follows the Khwae Noi Valley, the bridges became famous under the wrong name. In the 1960s, the upper part of the Mae Klong was renamed the Khwae Yai

Edited by phuketandsee

Problem is "Slope" is not a term used in the UK to describe Asians, it is a term used by Americans and Australians. We use a different term popularised by Prince Philip.

In the UK we used the term "Slope" to describe someone who avoids hard work. This comes from the Army term "Slope Arms" (Shoulder Arms) meaning that the soldier carries the weight of his rifle on his shoulder. So a soldier who slopes off does not carry his weight (rifle) and is avoiding work.

"Gweilo" is Chinese for "round eye" not foreign devils. I think he was trying to say buffarow...build bridge wit a srope?

Actually, you're both off: Gweilo means 'ghost person'.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gweilo#Etymology_and_history

Actually, you're both off: Gweilo means 'ghost person'.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gweilo#Etymology_and_history

I think you are all wrong including wikpedia He was saying Round Eyed Egg and Bacon eater period

It’s ironic that some can sit and listen to the words such as N..g.., Honky, Redneck, Skinnies and a whole string of others) in number of Movies, some very recent by the way, (i.e. Borat, The Dictator, Bad Boys I & II, ..) and no one says BOO or makes an issue out of the word content/phrases used in them. Others movies which used similar words/phrases, such as Pulp Fiction, Black Hawk Down, Ace Ventura, are considered Classics, without criticism.

It would seem ok to some, that Hollywood or the Movie making fraternity, are relatively free to use whatever racist and or derogatory words/language/overtones that they want to and that is acceptable. Yet JC makes a single comment, which could arguably be interpreted in one of two ways, either directed towards the man on the bridge or to the bridge itself and he is fair game to all the "Lounge Chair Critics" and incurs the Roth of the Nobody Indian Actress..

To criticize JC over a the use single word, smells of Hypocrisy and Jealousy!!

I just wonder how many of the Lounge Chair Critics have sat and watched the above Movies and had a chuckle at the content, rather than getting up and storming out of the room because they viewed it at racist. Those of you who have watched BORAT or THE DICTATOR and haven't enjoyed it, raise your hands!!

As I said, I would attribute a large majority of the criticism being levied at JC, more to the fact that they are jealous of his success, rather than for what he actually said or inferred.

Well, there is a couple of pretty obvious differences, though the lines may be blurred at times:

1. Some movies use racist language to accurately represent an aspect of reality. It would be hard to make a movie about Hitler's inner circle and have them say only nice things about the Jews.Or to make a movie about the slave era in the US and not hear some derogatory language about Africans/Blacks. Tarrantino's 'Django Unchained' has, in fact, been criticised for over-use of the word, 'nigger', because it seemed (to some) to be used for shock value and because the movie wasn't fully trying to emulate reality.

2. Other movies -- such as Borat and the Dictator -- use racist language to belittle and ridicule racists. When Borat blithely makes exaggerated anti-Semitic comments ("He insist we not fly in case the Jews repeated their attack of 9/11.") or participates in the annual "running of the Jew", the ridiculousness of what we see and hear actually makes the point that racism itself is ridiculous and that it doesn't stand up to logical scrutiny. [One might also note that Sacha Baron Cohen is himself Jewish.] If you doubt this is the intent, search Youtube for "Throw the Jew down the Well", wherein Borat gets a bar full of cowboys to join in on a plainly anti-Semitic song. [but yes, he still gets criticised for this anyway].

Now Clarkson's comment fills neither of these functions from what I can tell, so it's understandable that some would consider it gratuitously racist. However, it may have been a weak and unredeeming attempt at humour, in which case I would be hesitant to call him a racist (since it was not meant with ill intent).

So basically .... no hypocrisy at all.

What JC said was a racist comment, whether it was made in jest or hate, it is still derogatory and unacceptable. There are many ways of expressing dislike or humour, there is no call for using racist terms. The words we use do matter, to think otherwise is to be in denial about racism and the harm it does.

Bluespunk, are you a Smurf ??? just wondering.
No you weren't. What you were trying to do is belittle me because you can't accept my point. Lazy and kind of sad really.

Not at all. Just find your avatar name funny. Of course I know spunk means courage as well as something else. I respect your right to view humour based on racial stereotyping as derogatory and unacceptale, but I do not. We British, make jokes about anything and everything, including ourselves, our history and our culture. Nothing is off limits. A few comedian greats you will no doubt despise: Bernard Manning, Chubby Brown, Frankie Boyle, Benny Hill, Dave Allen, Les Dawson, Jim Davison. All, very controversial, but at least they have/had the right to poke fun at life as they saw fit. What none of those people did was direct security services, armed forces or other government agencies to go out and infiltrate, oppress, invade or kill anyone in the name of a civilised democracy. There, that took a bit of time and thought.

Nice to see you've moved on from the 70's and 80's.

Humor can enforce social stereotyping although that may not be the intention. That's why the UK, EU and many others had to introduce legislation to prohibit racism, sexism and the use of certain words, phrases and provocative statements.

Humor is a personal thing, as are the boundaries of offence and acceptance. I don't think anyone elected you representative of or spokes person for British expats here. You're perfectly entitled to your views and your taste in humor - but please don't portray that as being the standard benchmark of all British people.

Free speech - who decides what is allowable and where and when does censorship become sinister. Social norms usually regulate these things but are affected by different things in different countries.

What JC said was a racist comment, whether it was made in jest or hate, it is still derogatory and unacceptable. There are many ways of expressing dislike or humour, there is no call for using racist terms. The words we use do matter, to think otherwise is to be in denial about racism and the harm it does.
Bluespunk, are you a Smurf ??? just wondering.
No you weren't. What you were trying to do is belittle me because you can't accept my point. Lazy and kind of sad really.

Not at all. Just find your avatar name funny. Of course I know spunk means courage as well as something else. I respect your right to view humour based on racial stereotyping as derogatory and unacceptale, but I do not. We British, make jokes about anything and everything, including ourselves, our history and our culture. Nothing is off limits. A few comedian greats you will no doubt despise: Bernard Manning, Chubby Brown, Frankie Boyle, Benny Hill, Dave Allen, Les Dawson, Jim Davison. All, very controversial, but at least they have/had the right to poke fun at life as they saw fit. What none of those people did was direct security services, armed forces or other government agencies to go out and infiltrate, oppress, invade or kill anyone in the name of a civilised democracy. There, that took a bit of time and thought.

Nice to see you've moved on from the 70's and 80's.

Humor can enforce social stereotyping although that may not be the intention. That's why the UK, EU and many others had to introduce legislation to prohibit racism, sexism and the use of certain words, phrases and provocative statements.

Humor is a personal thing, as are the boundaries of offence and acceptance. I don't think anyone elected you representative of or spokes person for British expats here. You're perfectly entitled to your views and your taste in humor - but please don't portray that as being the standard benchmark of all British people.

Free speech - who decides what is allowable and where and when does censorship become sinister. Social norms usually regulate these things but are affected by different things in different countries.

Fair enough. Not trying to be a spokesperson for anyone else. I agree that humour is personal and some of it can be very distasteful. Frankie Boyle is very current and I would say his jokes cut right down to the bone sometimes. I just don't like it when the media and others go for the jugular of someone when they make an ill judged error or weak joke especially regarding race, religion or disability. Look at all the fuss this week because Cameron dared to say the UK was a Christian country.

A forum is a good place to ask for/offer advice and help. It is also a good place for debating, blowing off steam and for a good bit of banter. I like to read all the different opinions, some of which I agree with and others I don't. Thanks TV keep up the good work.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When i heard that Jeremy Clarkson was in trouble about remarks he made in the show i was thinking "heroin, black cock" but no mention of them. "There was outcry, when Clarkson used the word slope." Wonder how many complaints they got, apart from Somi Guha?

I would like to make a complaint to all the news companies that quote 'In the show, presents Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May build a makeshift bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand.'

They were nowhere near the River Kwai!

The river was named re-named Kwai Noi after the film went out in the 60's, the bridge was actually over the Mae Klong and they weren't near that either!

I remember the Packer world series cricket used the word's Pakkies, Aussies, Poms etc in their advertising. There was a backlash in the UK but the Australians were bemused by this, PC gone mad they said.

Derogatory nicknames have always existed, the Germans for instance must have a dozen or more & I hear them repeated time & time again in moovies. Maybe because of their history they have had to developed a thicker skin than Asians

I never heard that term being used by anyone. So the silly Indian chick is to blame for it being in the public eye.

Jeremy should sue her.

I thought a slope was a curve or side of a mountain. Nobody in the USA uses that term unless skiing.

I used to have a "Ski the Slopes" t-shirt with a cartoon of a guy carving down a mountain running over a heap of caricatures of Asians. I wore it casually as a 16 yo. without realising how insulting insulting can be.....then again one of my mates called me nigger due to my olive skin from my small amount of indonesian, and that was mildly irritating.

I never heard that term being used by anyone. So the silly Indian chick is to blame for it being in the public eye.

Jeremy should sue her.

I thought a slope was a curve or side of a mountain. Nobody in the USA uses that term unless skiing.

Slope - dink - gook. All from the same era. All insults.

Obviously your the resident expert on insults. Having been around a bit it is a term I've never heard of so guess it's confined to a certain class of 'citizens'.

Why does it matter whether you happen to have heard of it? This is not really the criteria by which to judge if it is a racial slur or not.

According to the BBC, JC had heard of it and probably meant it to be offensive as is his style.

For you none Brits out there possibly wondering. We actually enjoy abusing each other. Race, skin colour, religion might not even come into it. For us a good sing song at a football match denigrating the opposition...not just because of the fact they are opponents, may actually depend on their geographical location or a plethora of other reasons. Liverpool scouses are called thieving scallies, Southerners are just Shandy Swilling Poofters and me? I am just a Northern Monkey...or worse.

For you none Brits out there possibly wondering. We actually enjoy abusing each other. Race, skin colour, religion might not even come into it. For us a good sing song at a football match denigrating the opposition...not just because of the fact they are opponents, may actually depend on their geographical location or a plethora of other reasons. Liverpool scouses are called thieving scallies, Southerners are just Shandy Swilling Poofters and me? I am just a Northern Monkey...or worse.

I would say worse, Watso. Much worse. wink.png

Could be worse...jeeza could have called him a monkey hanger

Ah yes, let's not forget about that French spy caught, tried and executed in Hartlepool....and for anyone wondering, yes it was a real monkey (without trying to sound apeist)

When i heard that Jeremy Clarkson was in trouble about remarks he made in the show i was thinking "heroin, black cock" but no mention of them. "There was outcry, when Clarkson used the word slope." Wonder how many complaints they got, apart from Somi Guha?

I would like to make a complaint to all the news companies that quote 'In the show, presents Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May build a makeshift bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand.'

They were nowhere near the River Kwai!

The river was named re-named Kwai Noi after the film went out in the 60's, the bridge was actually over the Mae Klong and they weren't near that either!

I remember the Packer world series cricket used the word's Pakkies, Aussies, Poms etc in their advertising. There was a backlash in the UK but the Australians were bemused by this, PC gone mad they said.

Derogatory nicknames have always existed, the Germans for instance must have a dozen or more & I hear them repeated time & time again in moovies. Maybe because of their history they have had to developed a thicker skin than Asians

Australia - the country that ran a "whites only" immigration policy until the 1970s? - How "PC" was that?

After hundreds of posts I had to go back and refresh my memory by reading the OP again. Even when they/he admit what JC said was inappropriate and offensive (to some) there are still those arguing the point in JCs favour. No end of excuses, examples and explanations all trying to justify what the producer of the show admits was wrong! What they knew was wrong from the time he said it. Give me a break.

Jeremy Clarkson is capable of some excellent work. Some of his other Doccos (War) are very, very good. But he lets himself down making such utterances. In the context of what is really supposed to be a show about Automobiles it was out of line. Why they put it to air is beyond me. Did they really think it would go unnoticed. it is a good pun to use when you are having a drink with mates in a bar. But used in an International Show supposed to be about Autos and Motoring? No.

As for the White Australia Policy, this goes back to Federation. It was not originally called this BTW, the White Australia Policy was a distinctly worded Anti CHINESE Immigration Policy. The specific word CHINESE was changed later to include, and to keep out other Non Whites, not just Chinese. When the the rush subsided and the gold ran out, the whites on the goldfields in Australia needed someone to turn on. As what happens, historically, when your economy goes belly up. This was the Chinese. Some of Australia's worst race riots occurred during this period.

Interesting to read all the comments about where the derogatory term 'Slope Head' came from. More interesting to read that people reckon they have never heard it used. It goes back long before the Vietnam War, it goes back to the 19th Century. It was firmly directed at the Chinese in particular. it was a common term that the USN China Gunboat Sailors used for the 'natives', at a time when all China was a country of coolies, being raped and pillaged by the Western Powers. And not forgetting being supplied and hooked on Opium by the East India Company, who were well supported by the Royal Navy. The Chinese don't owe the west alot of favours really. But you can't change history. The Chinese really don't want to be kicked around anymore.

The term 'Slope Head', for Australians, entered our mainstream vocabulary in the Mid-Late 70's. This was after the now classic movie 'The Sand Pebbles' had become extremely popular thoughout the country. Never under estimate the power of Hollywood. it was also at a time when all the Vietnamese and Cambodian 'Boat People' began arriving on our shores. Prior to this Australians called them 'Chinks' or in referring to Chinese Restaurants 'The Chows'. There were no other Asians in Australia at the time, of any substantial number, - only Chinese. (read White Australia Policy)

In the Royal Australian Navy, where our backyard is/was SE Asia, we used the Royal Navy term - 'Chokey' - Again, this was used predominantly for the Chinese. Even during the VN War the RAN continued to use the term 'Chokey' and did not adopt the rather new term the Australian Army used. 'Nog'. As I said, by the mid 70's, after the war was over, we had dropped the term 'Chokey', and 'Slope', or 'Slope Head' became part of our vocabulary. it sure caught on in the civilian population!

Jeremy should stick to do what he does best. He lets himself down making comment like this. it may appeal to the 'Red-Necks', but most people are not Red necks. Which is why there is such a furore.

Everyone needs to have a cup of tea, a bex and a good lie down,

In those days there was the Emperor, who was called the Lord of Ten Thousand Years, who ruled by the Mandate of Heaven from the Dragon Throne in the Great Within in the Forbidden City in Peking, and China was called Chung- kuo which means Central Country, the Hub of the Universe, the Celestial Kingdom and all other peoples were outer Barbarians, Foreign Devils.

And voyages of discovery and emigration were forbidden, because there was surely no suitable food in Barbarian lands, only roots and insects and no silver, and supplying emigrants with these things would cause a drain on the Celestial economy; and it was forbidden to trade with the Barbarians, there being nothing the Celestial Kingdom wanted of them anyway, having everything already in abundance. But the Barbarians of the English East India Company, and the Dutch and the Russians and the Americans wanted tea and silk, and there was one thing the Barbarians taught the Celestial people to want of them, and that was opium.

For a hundred years the forbidden opium trade went on from Canton, on the River Pearl, with everybody getting their squeeze in the Chinese way, until it became a severe squeeze on the Celestial economy and finally the Emperor appointed Commissioner Lin to stamp out the trade in opium and teach the Barbarians to heed the Vermilion Decrees and to ‘tremble and obey.’ And Commissioner Lin held the Barbarians in Canton to ransom for twenty thousand chests of opium which they had in their godowns, and they did tremble, but it was in rage. Trembling with rage the Barbarians retreated in their clipper ships from Canton to the nearby virgin island called Heung Keung and resolved to wage war to get their twenty thousand chests (and faces) back, and to blast open the wall of China to their trade.

Meanwhile, Commissioner Lin wanted the Barbarians to come back to Canton for other trade, so he sent some junks to stop them getting fresh water on Heung Keung, and the Barbarians gave them two broadsides and blew the junks-o’-war clean out the China Sea. And sixteen British Men-O’-War sailed from Calcutta, and up the Pei-ho River to the very Heavenly Gates of Peking, demanding trade treaties for Queen Victoria and the twenty thousand chests of opium back.

The astonished Lord of Ten Thousand Years appointed Kishen to seduce the Barbarians back to Canton, there to weary them with negotiations while assembling more celestial warriors to subdue them. But when Captain Elliot got weary of the negotiations he threatened to blow Canton clean out of the Central Kingdom unless he got the twenty thousand chests of opium back, plus the island of Heung Keung as a colony for Queen Victoria. And thus the harlot harbour of Hong Kong was born on twenty thousand chests of opium, a face to launch a thousand ships.

After the Opium War there followed many Unequal Treaties, and there were many foreign settlements, particularly Shanghai, and they all bled China white. Then there was the Boxer Revolution, the rebellion of the Society of Harmonious Fists, to drive the Barbarians back into the sea, and the foreign legations in Peking were besieged and bombarded for fifty-five days before the combined foreign armies crushed the Boxers; and the Foreign Devils extracted further Unequal Treaties and concessions and imposed heavy war indemnities, and to ensure the payment they seized control of China’s customs, railways and communications, and levied heavy duties to protect their own products manufactured by sweated Chinese labour; and because of these things there was little capitalism for the Chinese in China, no prosperous middle class came about, only millions of coolies and feudal peasants and a few comprador-middlemen and corrupt Chinese imperial officials, and warlords; and China was bled whiter.

from - John Gordon Davis' "The Years Of The Hungry Tiger"

After hundreds of posts I had to go back and refresh my memory by reading the OP again. Even when they/he admit what JC said was inappropriate and offensive (to some) there are still those arguing the point in JCs favour. No end of excuses, examples and explanations all trying to justify what the producer of the show admits was wrong! What they knew was wrong from the time he said it. Give me a break.

Jeremy Clarkson is capable of some excellent work. Some of his other Doccos (War) are very, very good. But he lets himself down making such utterances. In the context of what is really supposed to be a show about Automobiles it was out of line. Why they put it to air is beyond me. Did they really think it would go unnoticed. it is a good pun to use when you are having a drink with mates in a bar. But used in an International Show supposed to be about Autos and Motoring? No.

As for the White Australia Policy, this goes back to Federation. It was not originally called this BTW, the White Australia Policy was a distinctly worded Anti CHINESE Immigration Policy. The specific word CHINESE was changed later to include, and to keep out other Non Whites, not just Chinese. When the the rush subsided and the gold ran out, the whites on the goldfields in Australia needed someone to turn on. As what happens, historically, when your economy goes belly up. This was the Chinese. Some of Australia's worst race riots occurred during this period.

Interesting to read all the comments about where the derogatory term 'Slope Head' came from. More interesting to read that people reckon they have never heard it used. It goes back long before the Vietnam War, it goes back to the 19th Century. It was firmly directed at the Chinese in particular. it was a common term that the USN China Gunboat Sailors used for the 'natives', at a time when all China was a country of coolies, being raped and pillaged by the Western Powers. And not forgetting being supplied and hooked on Opium by the East India Company, who were well supported by the Royal Navy. The Chinese don't owe the west alot of favours really. But you can't change history. The Chinese really don't want to be kicked around anymore.

The term 'Slope Head', for Australians, entered our mainstream vocabulary in the Mid-Late 70's. This was after the now classic movie 'The Sand Pebbles' had become extremely popular thoughout the country. Never under estimate the power of Hollywood. it was also at a time when all the Vietnamese and Cambodian 'Boat People' began arriving on our shores. Prior to this Australians called them 'Chinks' or in referring to Chinese Restaurants 'The Chows'. There were no other Asians in Australia at the time, of any substantial number, - only Chinese. (read White Australia Policy)

In the Royal Australian Navy, where our backyard is/was SE Asia, we used the Royal Navy term - 'Chokey' - Again, this was used predominantly for the Chinese. Even during the VN War the RAN continued to use the term 'Chokey' and did not adopt the rather new term the Australian Army used. 'Nog'. As I said, by the mid 70's, after the war was over, we had dropped the term 'Chokey', and 'Slope', or 'Slope Head' became part of our vocabulary. it sure caught on in the civilian population!

Jeremy should stick to do what he does best. He lets himself down making comment like this. it may appeal to the 'Red-Necks', but most people are not Red necks. Which is why there is such a furore.

Everyone needs to have a cup of tea, a bex and a good lie down,

In those days there was the Emperor, who was called the Lord of Ten Thousand Years, who ruled by the Mandate of Heaven from the Dragon Throne in the Great Within in the Forbidden City in Peking, and China was called Chung- kuo which means Central Country, the Hub of the Universe, the Celestial Kingdom and all other peoples were outer Barbarians, Foreign Devils.

And voyages of discovery and emigration were forbidden, because there was surely no suitable food in Barbarian lands, only roots and insects and no silver, and supplying emigrants with these things would cause a drain on the Celestial economy; and it was forbidden to trade with the Barbarians, there being nothing the Celestial Kingdom wanted of them anyway, having everything already in abundance. But the Barbarians of the English East India Company, and the Dutch and the Russians and the Americans wanted tea and silk, and there was one thing the Barbarians taught the Celestial people to want of them, and that was opium.

For a hundred years the forbidden opium trade went on from Canton, on the River Pearl, with everybody getting their squeeze in the Chinese way, until it became a severe squeeze on the Celestial economy and finally the Emperor appointed Commissioner Lin to stamp out the trade in opium and teach the Barbarians to heed the Vermilion Decrees and to ‘tremble and obey.’ And Commissioner Lin held the Barbarians in Canton to ransom for twenty thousand chests of opium which they had in their godowns, and they did tremble, but it was in rage. Trembling with rage the Barbarians retreated in their clipper ships from Canton to the nearby virgin island called Heung Keung and resolved to wage war to get their twenty thousand chests (and faces) back, and to blast open the wall of China to their trade.

Meanwhile, Commissioner Lin wanted the Barbarians to come back to Canton for other trade, so he sent some junks to stop them getting fresh water on Heung Keung, and the Barbarians gave them two broadsides and blew the junks-o’-war clean out the China Sea. And sixteen British Men-O’-War sailed from Calcutta, and up the Pei-ho River to the very Heavenly Gates of Peking, demanding trade treaties for Queen Victoria and the twenty thousand chests of opium back.

The astonished Lord of Ten Thousand Years appointed Kishen to seduce the Barbarians back to Canton, there to weary them with negotiations while assembling more celestial warriors to subdue them. But when Captain Elliot got weary of the negotiations he threatened to blow Canton clean out of the Central Kingdom unless he got the twenty thousand chests of opium back, plus the island of Heung Keung as a colony for Queen Victoria. And thus the harlot harbour of Hong Kong was born on twenty thousand chests of opium, a face to launch a thousand ships.

After the Opium War there followed many Unequal Treaties, and there were many foreign settlements, particularly Shanghai, and they all bled China white. Then there was the Boxer Revolution, the rebellion of the Society of Harmonious Fists, to drive the Barbarians back into the sea, and the foreign legations in Peking were besieged and bombarded for fifty-five days before the combined foreign armies crushed the Boxers; and the Foreign Devils extracted further Unequal Treaties and concessions and imposed heavy war indemnities, and to ensure the payment they seized control of China’s customs, railways and communications, and levied heavy duties to protect their own products manufactured by sweated Chinese labour; and because of these things there was little capitalism for the Chinese in China, no prosperous middle class came about, only millions of coolies and feudal peasants and a few comprador-middlemen and corrupt Chinese imperial officials, and warlords; and China was bled whiter.

from - John Gordon Davis' "The Years Of The Hungry Tiger"

post-142424-0-83807500-1398844971_thumb.

They sure did when I lived there, but not really derogatory - more like wop or Jew, not considered insulting by most people.

I used to wonder what it meant until I was on a bus in Vietnam and looked out the window and saw a bunch of peasants wearing sloped hats. I got up and yelled to my friend, "I finally know why they call them slopeheads!" Luckily, no one but us could speak English.

4039364743_a853e0d639.jpg

In Australia if you call an Asian a 'slope' or 'slope head', it is considered racist and very offensive.

It would be considered as fighting words.

Certainly not the same as being called a Jew, which I doubt anyone would find that offensive. I'm not sure what a wop is?

A Wop is an Italian. The Roman Triremes were powered by teams of rowers. Each team was called a wop. Therfore when the captain of the trireme wanted to increase speed, he would yell out the command, "Wop factor 4"

Of course he was being racist but it will make me so rich now- I am going to sue everybody in Thailand who calls me 'farang' God get a life .JC calls one guy a slope and we get insulted to our faces 10 times a day - who cares. Certainly not the guy on the bridge who probably still doesn't even know. God I've been called so many things from Limey to Pommy Bastard and other names that are too rude to print - water off a ducks back!

Ooooooh everybody is so sensitive!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by leggo

• 11 months later...

They sure did when I lived there, but not really derogatory - more like wop or Jew, not considered insulting by most people.

I used to wonder what it meant until I was on a bus in Vietnam and looked out the window and saw a bunch of peasants wearing sloped hats. I got up and yelled to my friend, "I finally know why they call them slopeheads!" Luckily, no one but us could speak English.

4039364743_a853e0d639.jpg

In Australia if you call an Asian a 'slope' or 'slope head', it is considered racist and very offensive.

It would be considered as fighting words.

Certainly not the same as being called a Jew, which I doubt anyone would find that offensive. I'm not sure what a wop is?

A Wop is an Italian. The Roman Triremes were powered by teams of rowers. Each team was called a wop. Therfore when the captain of the trireme wanted to increase speed, he would yell out the command, "Wop factor 4"

Why is Italy shaped like a boot ? Answer= You cant get that much sxxt in a shoe. :)

• 2 months later...