Top Gear producer admits Jeremy Clarkson's 'slope' remark WAS joke about Asian man

webfact

As an Irishman I am used to being called 'a Mick', 'a Paddy' and a variety of other expressions. I do not take offence and I wonder why other people from other countries would object to the rainbow of slang expressions describing specific nationalities. A Pom is an Englishman, a Jock a Scotsman, a Cloggy a Dutchman - these expressions are in regular use and do not, I believe, cause offence but are expressions of a humourous nature. It also seems that those that take most offence are non-white, perhaps some people should ditch the chip on their shoulder.

Sweaty sock = dirty jock

In the RN PJ = Poxy Jock,which I am proud to be.I never took offense as you could give it back without repercussions.The army used to be known as pongoes,because where the army goes the pong goes.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if you turn the sound up of the Top Gear Video you can hear the Asian muttering to himself "Gweilo" meaning foreign devils.

Problem is "Slope" is not a term used in the UK to describe Asians, it is a term used by Americans and Australians. We use a different term popularised by Prince Philip.

In the UK we used the term "Slope" to describe someone who avoids hard work. This comes from the Army term "Slope Arms" (Shoulder Arms) meaning that the soldier carries the weight of his rifle on his shoulder. So a soldier who slopes off does not carry his weight (rifle) and is avoiding work.

I've heard the term used in the UK before, always as a term of abuse. JC knew.

"'We were not aware at the time, and it has subsequently been brought to our attention, that the word "slope" is considered by some to be offensive and although it might not be widely recognised in the UK, we appreciate that it can be considered offensive to some here and overseas, for example in Australia and the USA."

Here is one Brit who had never heard of the term but, even if I had, jokingly criticising build quality in Thailand is not really abuse. People are becoming so quick to take offense that almost anything can be claimed as causing offence to someone. If we enjoy laughing at things, then we should all learn to accept being laughed about - gracefully.

Where are all those pending court cases by those "Farang", "Kaek", "Jek", "Cheap Charly" etc. etc. etc.

The list is endless. Fact is, that the (non-)utilisation of such words lead to the upbringing and environment of the speaker as nobody is born a racist.

I - for one - have never heard of slope in that context and had to dig very, very deep into the internet to finally find the misappropriate reference to the word.

One way of increasing the number of viewers though, I guess clap2.gif

So, and now we can all go back to our rooms!

Maybe you won't have to dig so deeply next time: Handy-dandy Urban Dictionary - Defining term "slope"

...he used to be entertaining but has well and truly passed his "use by" date

Slope or slopey was universally used by US soldiers as a derogatory term for Chinese when they were in China supporting the Nationalists against the Japanese invaders. And racist they truly were. The term carried over to the Vietnam war, but I was unaware of it until Clarkson so unfunnily used it.

Incidentally Prbkk, from your photo I suspect you of being Clarkson's brother.

Andrew.

What JC said was a racist comment, whether it was made in jest or hate, it is still derogatory and unacceptable. There are many ways of expressing dislike or humour, there is no call for using racist terms. The words we use do matter, to think otherwise is to be in denial about racism and the harm it does.

Edited by Bluespunk

Harmless joke I think . And funny .

We all get called named by other races . No harm done if its just a joke .

And the situation called for it .

I'm often called Farang. Sometimes, Pom, sometimes Crapaud (a term used for people from my locale), and I don't really mind.

I'm not sure if Frogs, Krauts, Wops, Micks, Yanks, Spics, mind when they are called it respectively. I suppose there is a varying degree of rudeness in them.

It seems racism is only when a so called " superior" person calls a so call "inferior" person a name. But we are all equal, so I can't see the need for a fuss. The Indian woman is just looking for personal publicity in my view. I bet the "slope" on the bridge was more than happy to get a fee.

I always thought the term "slope" came from the distinctive sloping forehead that many Vietnamese have and that it was born from within the US army during the Vietnam war......many of whom were "African American" and no doubt DO know a bit about racism.

Clarkson is a total prat.

He's the show-off, smart arse, gobby, bullying schoolkid who never grew up.

Can just imagine him swaggering around the schoolyard with a couple of henchmen in tow picking on any kid who wasn't 'in' with his gang.

Like all bullies he needs to be sorted.

Exactly! Been laughing all day about him caught outlaugh.png!

It's turned around to being at his and the BBC's expense.

The sad thing is that by trying to pass it off as a light joke, he's fallen into the, 'being able to give, but not take' category.

Rule Britanniabiggrin.png!

Desperate old man looking for a bit more publicity...

"Desperate old man looking for a bit more publicity" you say? Interesting. He's got more money than God, they do Top Gear theatre shows, he's on about series 23.. He's desperate for what, exactly (in your opinion)? It's not money and not publicity, I find your comment interesting. (personally I dislike him buy I can't see him desperate for much)

Article:

"Now the producer of the hit BBC 2 programme has said he regrets the 'light-hearted' wordplay and realises 'that it can be considered offensive to some here and overseas'."

Why would anyone make such a confession in the face of a pending and potentially damaging lawsuit? The same kind of thinking that let the dicey double entendre slip through in the first place or is there a money trail to follow here? My hypothesis is that he's just stupid (or senile?) - like his "wordplay".

Edited by MaxYakov

sustento, on 23 Apr 2014 - 17:37, said:

and some people need to lighten up and learn to laugh at themselves...the goody two shoes of the world are taking humour away far to often. People need to learn the difference between humour and deliberately insulting.

sustento, on 23 Apr 2014 - 17:37, said:

and some people need to lighten up and learn to laugh at themselves...the goody two shoes of the world are taking humour away far to often. People need to learn the difference between humour and deliberately insulting.

As well as the difference between humour and using racist terms to get a cheap laugh.

The term "slope" I believe came from the Americans during the Vietnam conflict. The US military seem to label opposing combatants, slopes, gooks, skinnies etc. Clarkson is a bit of a half-wit despite his success but why are we wasting time debating him and the comment?

Come on! The British are known for their borderline humor and it's about time certain Asian countries developed a bit if a thicker skin! The joke was only made because the bridge was hanging to one side, but some people just have to read something else into it! Why is this even news!?

I never heard that term being used by anyone. So the silly Indian chick is to blame for it being in the public eye.

Jeremy should sue her.

I thought a slope was a curve or side of a mountain. Nobody in the USA uses that term unless skiing.

Hi, the word "slope" has been in use in the USA for many years. It describes the slanted eyes of most Asian folks. At the time it was directed towards Japanese Americans. But that amongst other words are in use in the USA to describe the various cultures that make up the USA.

Come on! The British are known for their borderline humor and it's about time certain Asian countries developed a bit if a thicker skin! The joke was only made because the bridge was hanging to one side, but some people just have to read something else into it! Why is this even news!?

Oh yeah? Tell me, why did the Brits take the word 'Pom' to the UN to have it ruled as racially discriminative?

What's good for the goose...

Article:

"Now the producer of the hit BBC 2 programme has said he regrets the 'light-hearted' wordplay and realises 'that it can be considered offensive to some here and overseas'."

Why would anyone make such a confession in the face of a pending and potentially damaging lawsuit? The same kind of thinking that let the dicey double entendre slip through in the first place or is there a money trail to follow here? My hypothesis is that he's just stupid (or senile?) - like his "wordplay".

He's simply stating his opinion now because the precious ones will go into PC overdrive and he will be drowned out if and when the case ever makes it to court.

And if Clarkson had been called 'bird shit' I suppose that would be acceptable?

The point is that everyone, everywhere is racist. It's in the nature of the human race (damn, there's that 'r' word again)

Edited by bigbamboo

So much fuss over nothing.

The unfortunate thing about being a celebrity or a well-known TV personality, is that whatever you say or do will be criticized by some nobody, most of the time out of shear jealousy, rather than for what was actually said or inferred.

The “Two Bob Indian” actress, is just looking for media coverage, to elevate her status within the Indian Caste system. As one gentlemen so politely indicated, she would be better looking in her own backyard and apologizing for her countries culture of Caste and for their child labor and or child slavery system. The she might have a right or reason to criticize others.

As for those who consider JC a “Prat”, my suggestion is that you just look in the mirror and ask yourself what have you achieved in life. JC for all his pomp and ceremony has achieved something in the eyes of millions, probably more that you can say.

If the majority opinion rule was to be applied, and a survey done in the UK, Australia, NZ etc, you would find that JC is one of the top 10 most popular figures in TV, and as such his popularity ensures that he is paid an absolute fortune for what he says, which gives him the right to be a “Prat” and say what he likes whenever he wants.

Edited by Philcoz

"Lawyers Equal Action claimed BBC could face million-pound damages"

From who? Millions of pounds for an off-colour joke? What BS.

Sounds more like a bunch of lawyers looking for a way to enrich themselves..... once again.

Jeremy Clerkson is a desperate old man? Realy? The Jeremy Clerkson in his mid 50's, worth millions, fronts the most exported TV show in the world of all time, been all over the world with his mates getting paid silly money to have a laugh and do whatever he wants... You mean that guy, right? Yeh. Desperate. Personaly I pity the fool. Poor bloke.

Yes that desperate old man. Uses carefully contrived 'controversial' remarks that appeal to those who think that insulting others is a replacement for humour.

So if any of my friends refer to me as a 'Sweaty' ( Sweaty Sock -- Jock ) I should get upset and sue them. !!!!

Not unless you write two columns in a major UK newspaper...

And if you turn the sound up of the Top Gear Video you can hear the Asian muttering to himself "Gweilo" meaning foreign devils.

I didn't realise they spoke Cantonese in Thailand

Edited by sustento

Press reports seen yesterday made no mention of any admission by Clarkson. They only surfaced after being added by the Daily Mail.

I guess you mean the very Daily Mail that enthusiastically supported the entirely non-racist Mr Hitler in the 1930s.

Helpful of them to cast a chink of light on this subject.

I watched the show where they supposedly built a bridge over the Kwai , all they seem to do was get drunk & sleep it off .They paid Thai boys to do all the graft . Clarkson is the most unfunny person on tv , all he seems to do is take the mickey & use sarcasm has his way of being funny .If he is one of the highest paid on tv this is a perfect example of the waste of the licence fee .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No worse than calling us a farang or charging us twice as much based on our race. I find that very offensive.

So you say it's no worse than being charged double which you say you find very offensive. So basically you are admitting that the term is very offensive.

I never heard that term being used by anyone. So the silly Indian chick is to blame for it being in the public eye.

Jeremy should sue her.

I thought a slope was a curve or side of a mountain. Nobody in the USA uses that term unless skiing.

A lot of American Vietnam War vets use it.

They sure did when I lived there, but not really derogatory - more like wop or Jew, not considered insulting by most people.

I used to wonder what it meant until I was on a bus in Vietnam and looked out the window and saw a bunch of peasants wearing sloped hats. I got up and yelled to my friend, "I finally know why they call them slopeheads!" Luckily, no one but us could speak English.

4039364743_a853e0d639.jpg

Of course, Jews aren't offended by being called a Jew ... no more that a Christian is by the word Christian or a Buddhist by the word Buddhist. However, to many anti-Jewish racists, the word Jew is indeed a racist slur ... at least the way the say it and look when they do.

BTW, you'd better be very careful where and when you call an Italian a "wop" cause you may well get a w(h)op to your head.

Edited by HerbalEd

I'd bet every person here has told a racist joke or two ... or hundred ... in private with their mates, but to do so on an internationally distributed TV show is just plain stupid.

And the persons who were even more stupid are the producers and editors who didn't edit out the remark.

Edited by HerbalEd