People miss their flights following protest near Phuket airport

webfact

People miss their flights following protest near Phuket airport

Phuket: -- A mob of angry residents yesterday afternoon blockaded Phuket's critical main artery, Thepkrasattri Road, amid outrage over the twin teenagers who raped a pregnant woman in the area on Sunday night.

The blockade, just north of the turnoff to Phuket International Airport, formed at about 2pm after villagers realized that police would not be bringing the twin brothers to the scene to re-enact their crimes.

As of 10pm, police’s negotiation failed to convince the residents to cancel the blockade which is near Phuket International Airport. Many passengers, both Thais and foreigners, reportedly missed their flights as they could not go to the airport.

The twins, 17, confessed yesterday to the rape, sexual assault, assault and robbery of the 25-year-old woman.

"The suspects face all four charges, including 'use of a vehicle in a robbery and evasion of police,'" Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayut Karajedee told the Phuket Gazette.

"They claim that they had not originally intended to rape the woman, but had set out to rob her. However, after kicking the bike out from under her, they dragged her into the woods and both raped her," Col Peerayut said.

The woman told police earlier that she had begged the teens to leave her alone, as she was five months pregnant.

However, the 17-year-olds denied any knowledge of her being pregnant.//Phuket Gazette//The Nation

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-24

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Four flights delayed, 74 passengers miss flights because of Phuket mob
Wiparatana Nathalang

PHUKET: -- The chaos on the roads caused by the protest mob caused surprisingly few problems at the Phuket International Airport.

Duty Officer Jaran Pandaeng, told The Phuket News this morning (April 24) that four flights were delayed because of passengers arriving late. A total of 74 passengers missed their flights.

Air Berlin flight AB7425 to Abu Dhabi was delayed from 20:30 to 00:05 before finally leaving without 69 passengers; Nordwind flight NWS2490, due to take off at 21:00 for Kemerovo in Siberia was delayed by an hour, taking off with one passenger left behind.

Bangkok Airways PG280 to Bangkok was delayed from 22:10 to 23:00 but left with all its passengers on board; and Virgin Australia flight VA192 to Perth, Australia, was delayed from 22:05 to 24:45, taking off with four passengers left behind.

Some passengers walked from their buses to the airport intersection or the old airport road intersection. There, Mr Jaran said, “We used minibuses to ferry them to the airport.”

Mr Jaran, asked about a report that a Russian pilot was stuck in the traffic jam, said, “I have not heard anything about a Russian pilot missing a flight.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/four-flights-delayed-74-passengers-miss-flights-because-of-phuket-mob-45860.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-24

Moronic mob mentality, they ahve already caught the 2 responsible what the <removed> did they expect to achieve? Once again the paymasters(tourists) are made to suffer for this medieval village mentality. The fact we still refer, with some reverence/fear, to vilage chiefs in these matters beggars belief in 2014!

Yet again the BIB are powerless/clueless or unable to perform their civic duties - I am sure there is a law/word for this, time for the armt to take control

99% of the time I would agree with your statement but this case is so... evil that I understand their rage, medievel village justice may just fit this crime.

Irregardless, they should storm the police station and demand justice, not block the road and cause harm/damage/inconvenience to thousands of people.

Exactly! I am far from defending the 2, by all means throw them to the crowd - but do so in a pit far away from the only reaonsable infrastructure the island has....

Moronic mob mentality, they ahve already caught the 2 responsible what the <removed> did they expect to achieve? Once again the paymasters(tourists) are made to suffer for this medieval village mentality. The fact we still refer, with some reverence/fear, to vilage chiefs in these matters beggars belief in 2014!

Yet again the BIB are powerless/clueless or unable to perform their civic duties - I am sure there is a law/word for this, time for the armt to take control

It beggars belief that, apart from your's, there is no mention at all of 'village chiefs' in this report.

Edited by MMarlow
  • Like 1

Phuket Police brutality at heart of mega-blockade
Phuket Gazette

1_201442411531978_cfRhSKXijnOYLjgpwIPlZw
The blockade left thousands of motorists caught in Phuket’s worst traffic jam on record. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Four police officers were removed from active duty last night to bring an eight-hour blockade of Phuket’s critical Thepkrasattri Road to an end at about 11:30pm.

The officers – Lt Akarapol Siwilai, Sub Lt Manus Faipetch, Sgt Maj Sansak Choti and Sgt Yongyuth Ritplud, all of the Tah Chat Chai Police Station – were transferred to Phuket Provincial Hall with immediate effect.

They will face an inquiry into allegations they struck three teenagers during questioning over the brutal rape of a 25-year-old pregnant woman on Sunday night. The three teenagers did not include the twin brothers who later confessed to the rape (story here).

Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut arrived at the blockade, just north of the turnoff to Phuket International Airport, at about 9:45pm – after hours of fruitless negotiations by the Phuket Police to bring the roadblock to an end.

By that time, thousands of motorists were stuck in Phuket’s biggest traffic jam on record, with scores of tourists delayed from reaching their departing flights.

Negotiations were held at the Baan Mak Prok Mosque, where Governor Maitri presented the mob leaders with the official transfer order for the four officers, signed by Phuket Provincial Deputy Commander Col Peerayut Karajedee.

“As per your second request, I will see if I can get the four officers to apologize, and to have civil defense volunteer bodyguards protect the three teenagers until they feel safe, ” Governor Maitri said.

“I will also pass on your final request that the superintendent of Tah Chat Chai Police be transferred should this kind of situation happen again.”

Governor Maitri also extended his apologies over the incident directly to the parents of the three teenagers involved.

While negotiations were underway, scuffles broke out among the crowd. One incident flared up as a teenager took photos of those taking part in the blockade.

Airport chief plays down delayed takeoffs

Phuket Airport Director Pratuang Sornkham confirmed that 26 flights were delayed by the blockade, as travellers could not reach the airport in time for their scheduled flights.

“Flights were delayed by at least two hours as passengers could not make it to the airport in time,” he told the Phuket Gazette. “Most of the flights were international.”

To assist tourists caught in the monster tailback, shuttle vans were dispatched to bring them to the airport along an old secondary road and airport officers launched a phone campaign to inform as many travel companies as possible of the blockade.

“Even though a lot of flights were delayed, I have been informed that none of the passengers booked on those flights were left behind,” Mr Patuang said. “They were all able to board their planes.”

— Kritsada Mueanhawong

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Police-brutality-heart-megablockade/29228#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-24

It beggars belief that, apart from your's, there is no mention at all of 'village chiefs' in this report.

I beggars belief, we still need to have these or vindicate their existence by even acknowledging them! Let alone acting upon their commands

Amazed to see Thais reacting with anger rather than indifference.

Really? I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Instead of venting just a little bit to let off some steam, it gets stored and bottled up until it reaches a critical mass.

• Like 1

Amazed to see Thais reacting with anger rather than indifference.

The scent of compensation brings all from far and wide ... to publicise the faces of the miscreants vastly increases the chances of their parents paying compensation of some sort.

What is the education minimum standard to become a police officer in Thailand. rolleyes.gif That might answer a lot of the questions as to why this was allowed to happen in the first place.wink.png Seems to it is a case of the blind leading the blind. Not one of them showed any common sense. whistling.gifblink.png

• Like 1

What's even more asinine is that they were protesting because the police wouldn't take the boys to re-enact the crime, one of dumbest parts of Thai law enforcement. It really equates to a lack of due process by making those accused of crimes go and reenact the crime as angry families and neighbors watch. It's dangerous and really a legal travesty that this goes on. And it's a circus.

And that the mob wanted the boys the to reenact the crime means they were intent on doing them harm.

Good on the protesters, without such disruption the rest of the world would be clueless to what as gone on, now the authorities realise the impact these actions have had and perhaps next time will sort things out before the locals highlight another problem.

'Power to the People'

as if the rest of the world cares about 4 cops punching 3 kids even if they were innocent

Actually I'm very much of the opinion that Thai people are usually much more civilised than many western communities.

The police, whilst often accused of being ineffective do seem to have apprehended these very quickly. I guess the locals just want to be sure that the kids are not released.

• Like 1

If you want to get and official (s) to react in this country: block a road.

They will come scurrying to end the blockage and will probably give to any demand. I'm surprised the Thai people do not do this a lot more often as it's a proven formula for success. Want a road paved? Block it. Want a drainage ditch/ bridge put in/ bridge repaired? Block a road.

The list is endless as what the people might want and the was to get results faster than any other IMO is to block a road.

Everyone got angry on missing flights or delay but we must also consider how terrible this crime was committed. Do we have a better choice? Of course yes and that is to leave this failed country - failing from top to the bottom!

Phuket Police brutality at heart of mega-blockade

Phuket Gazette

1_201442411531978_cfRhSKXijnOYLjgpwIPlZw

The blockade left thousands of motorists caught in Phukets worst traffic jam on record. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Four police officers were removed from active duty last night to bring an eight-hour blockade of Phukets critical Thepkrasattri Road to an end at about 11:30pm.

The officers Lt Akarapol Siwilai, Sub Lt Manus Faipetch, Sgt Maj Sansak Choti and Sgt Yongyuth Ritplud, all of the Tah Chat Chai Police Station were transferred to Phuket Provincial Hall with immediate effect.

They will face an inquiry into allegations they struck three teenagers during questioning over the brutal rape of a 25-year-old pregnant woman on Sunday night. The three teenagers did not include the twin brothers who later confessed to the rape (story here).

Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut arrived at the blockade, just north of the turnoff to Phuket International Airport, at about 9:45pm after hours of fruitless negotiations by the Phuket Police to bring the roadblock to an end.

By that time, thousands of motorists were stuck in Phukets biggest traffic jam on record, with scores of tourists delayed from reaching their departing flights.

Negotiations were held at the Baan Mak Prok Mosque, where Governor Maitri presented the mob leaders with the official transfer order for the four officers, signed by Phuket Provincial Deputy Commander Col Peerayut Karajedee.

As per your second request, I will see if I can get the four officers to apologize, and to have civil defense volunteer bodyguards protect the three teenagers until they feel safe, Governor Maitri said.

I will also pass on your final request that the superintendent of Tah Chat Chai Police be transferred should this kind of situation happen again.

Governor Maitri also extended his apologies over the incident directly to the parents of the three teenagers involved.

While negotiations were underway, scuffles broke out among the crowd. One incident flared up as a teenager took photos of those taking part in the blockade.

Airport chief plays down delayed takeoffs

Phuket Airport Director Pratuang Sornkham confirmed that 26 flights were delayed by the blockade, as travellers could not reach the airport in time for their scheduled flights.

Flights were delayed by at least two hours as passengers could not make it to the airport in time, he told the Phuket Gazette. Most of the flights were international.

To assist tourists caught in the monster tailback, shuttle vans were dispatched to bring them to the airport along an old secondary road and airport officers launched a phone campaign to inform as many travel companies as possible of the blockade.

Even though a lot of flights were delayed, I have been informed that none of the passengers booked on those flights were left behind, Mr Patuang said. They were all able to board their planes.

Kritsada Mueanhawong

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Police-brutality-heart-megablockade/29228#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2014-04-24

Is it just me or is this report from the Phuket News completely different from the report from the Nation. The Nation states that the protesters blocked the road because the police didn't bring the 17 year old twins for a reenactment of the crime and the Phuket news states that the protesters were there because the police struck 3 teenagers during questioning about the crime.

• Like 1

Good on the protesters, without such disruption the rest of the world would be clueless to what as gone on, now the authorities realise the impact these actions have had and perhaps next time will sort things out before the locals highlight another problem.

'Power to the People'

Actually, large crowds at the scene of brutal crimes are very, very common events. There are many, every week. The provincial press has made a big deal out of some foreigners missing their flight. Other than that, this is standard for this type of brutality. As said in the first story, the crowd gathered at the scene of the crime, to vent their anger when police brought the accused for re-enactment of the assault, battery and rape. Then the re-enactment didn't happen and the crowd got more angry.

You are cleared for takeoff on re-enactments and presenting accused criminals to large, threatening crowds. Nevertheless, it *is* hugely common.

"Mr Jaran, asked about a report that a Russian pilot was stuck in the traffic jam, said, “I have not heard anything about a Russian pilot missing a flight"

It's ok. The co-pilot has a 5 year old daughter who likes to sit at the controls and take over while daddy is sleeping....