Do I need to be in Thailand to Divorce

NCFC

We have agreed on an uncontested divorce and will submit the relevant papers to the local amphur where we married.

However I am in the UK and she is in Thailand.

So is it possible that we could get the paperwork sent by post for me to sign and then I send them back to her once signed. She then takes them to the amphur along with two witnesses.

Would this work or do I have to be physically within the country?

• Like 1

Yes, that´s the way to do it. You don´t need to be in Thailand to get divorced. Just make sure, that you include all the signed documents the amphur asks for (like passport etc).

you must both go to the amphur office together and sign the uncontested divorce. otherwise one of you will have to file for divorce with the court and wait 8 about weeks for a date then ONE of you must present at the court to finalize. Then that one of you goes to the amphur office with the court issued divorce decree.

Edited by asean

I divorced (uncontested) in Canada after marrying in Thailand, and the divorce was done at the Thai Con Gen in Vancouver for free. We were told however that we both needed to be present to sign the docs. Given your circumstances I concur with the recommendation to get legal advice and to also give the UK Thai Consulate a call.

You have the option to divorce in the UK.

Go to your local County Court and get a DIY Divorce pack.

You complete an affidavit detailing reasons for the divorce.

That will be sent to your partner to agree and sign.

On return of said documents a Decree Nisi will be issued in a matter of weeks.

Shortly thereafter your Decree Absolute will follow.

You must both agree to the reasons and they must be for such reasons as adultery or unreasonable behaviour for a quicky divorce.

Total time around 12 weeks......total cost around £400.

You never see a judge or have to enter a Courtroom.

Less red tape and quicker to do in Thailand at the local Amphur, but you do have options to choose from.

You have the option to divorce in the UK.

Go to your local County Court and get a DIY Divorce pack.

You complete an affidavit detailing reasons for the divorce.

That will be sent to your partner to agree and sign.

On return of said documents a Decree Nisi will be issued in a matter of weeks.

Shortly thereafter your Decree Absolute will follow.

You must both agree to the reasons and they must be for such reasons as adultery or unreasonable behaviour for a quicky divorce.

Total time around 12 weeks......total cost around £400.

You never see a judge or have to enter a Courtroom.

Less red tape and quicker to do in Thailand at the local Amphur, but you do have options to choose from.

Question, isn't that only possible if the OP has registered his Thai Marriage in the UK ?

Thanks

As long as the foreign marriage is regarded as a legal marriage in the UK, it doesn't have to be registered.

Some years ago I divorced my then Chinese wife.

We married in China and I had the red marriage book and a Chinese translation into English.

I never registered the marriage in the UK. It wasn't a problem.

If you got your affirmation of freedom to marry from the British Embassy in BKK and you were married by a registrar at a District Amphur office, then your marriage is recognised as legal within the law of the UK.

http://www.warothai.com/thai-marriage-rules-for-uk-citizens/

I have been told the opposite and will be getting divorced in May when I come back from the US. If it was a village marriage I wouldn't worry about it.

If it was a "Village Marriage" how could you get a divorce little less worry about it?

I got married at an Amphor office and divorced in the UK,I did registrar it at the embassy.

Last year I found out I was still married here,the ex and her new boyfriend didn't want to wait a few days until I could meet them and sign the Divorce paperwork,the Amphor told me to get a certified copy of my degree absolute from the British Embassy,which I did.

This would cover me and also allow myself to re-marry,I wanted to divorce her,the only other option is the courts.

If I did re-marry,she would be in trouble(as advised by the officer).

A bit extreme but tempting! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. I married in Thailand (thai lady), went through the usual processes ie: Freedom to marry, registering at the office in Lop Buri... She's now in prison in Lop Buri. Am I right in saying that I can divorce her legally due to the fact that she is banged up?

Interesting. I married in Thailand (thai lady), went through the usual processes ie: Freedom to marry, registering at the office in Lop Buri... She's now in prison in Lop Buri. Am I right in saying that I can divorce her legally due to the fact that she is banged up?

You can divorce on the grounds of Criminal Misconduct.

I carried out some further research into my question, consulted lawyers and companies offering divorce/marriage services and the conclusion is that for an uncontested divorce both parties do have to appear in person at the registrar's office.

It can't be done via the post.

Can it be done at the Thai consulate in London? I have the marriage certificate.

Because your wife is incarcerated you'll probably need the services of a Thai Lawyer.

Why not ask your question, giving full details in the 'Ask the Lawyer' section.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/192-ask-the-lawyer/?utm_source=newsletter-20140513-1404&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news