How to light a grill with Thai charcoal?

1BADDAT

One year at reading festival a mate brought an airbed with a battery powered pump. He left it behind and I took it with me, next year took it back and realised the weight and left it myself.

But the pump.... has travelled the world with me. Basically a high powered battery driven air blower, designed for pumping up matresses but the perfect fire starter.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They use plastic or get a small wood fire going first.

How does the plastic work?

Don't use plastic!

Many Thais burn plastic bags and the like to get a fire started...

even worse is when they use strips if inner tube rubber to get it lit.

Both are very irresponsible and pollute with toxic smoke...and smell horrible too!

If you are chalanged by starting a fire naturally, and must use something, try a little wax, old candle stubs maybe.

It works and is far less polluting than plastic, rubber or even commercial fire starting fluids.

You may find it much easier if you do not buy the processed charcoal briquettes, tubes or cubes.

One of the things Thai people do very well is make charcoal by partially burning chunks of real wood.

I think it actually gives your food a better flavor as well.

You probably won't find it for sale at a farang type grocery store.

It is sold by the bag like those in the photo I have attached.

It is inexpensive to buy at many local markets and burns very well.

Do yourself a favor and give it a try! stock-photo-nakhon-si-thammarat-thailand-may-unidentified-worker-in-a-charcoal-factory-packs-charcoals-124026829.jpg

As I wrote I saw them.just chop a block of rubber off a flip flop and burn that. God knows what is in the smoke but it smelt horrendous.