1,000 baht fine for those who ignored drowning teens: Chao Phraya River

webfact

If boat operators story is true, as sad as it sounds but the crying wolf story does become a reality

Sorry this is ThaiVisa, the Thais are wrong and you know it you apologist <deleted> !!!

May be you can explain it, i am little slow

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If boat operators story is true, as sad as it sounds but the crying wolf story does become a reality

Sorry this is ThaiVisa, the Thais are wrong and you know it you apologist <deleted> !!!

Obviously you are................

Let me put it simply, here on Thai Visa Thais are always wrong, Farangs are always right, accidents that happen in western countries are, well, accidents,.

But, when they happen in Thailand they are a slant on the whole population, if a Thai guy has an accident in Koh Samui, my wife is according to ThaiVisa, stupid 1000 Kms away, simply because she is Thai.

Of course, the same people that write such drivel would never dare come out in real life, makes them worse in my books !

Edited by Banzai99

Obviously you are................

Let me put it simply, here on Thai Visa Thais are always wrong, Farangs are always right, accidents that happen in western countries are, well, accidents,.

But, when they happen in Thailand they are a slant on the whole population, if a Thai guy has an accident in Koh Samui, my wife is stupid 1000 Kms away, simply because she is Thai.

Well thank you for time to explain.

If you were little less of a &lt;deleted&gt;, people might actually appreciate your posts

Their feeble excuses of "they did it before as a prank" don't wash either . . . when someone is drowning you can see easily from the body language, the look in their eyes, and their tone of voice when it's serious or not . . . so that's just total <deleted> and face saving.

As your flying by at 45 MPH I'm sure you would look at facial expressions, and hear the tone of voice over the roar of the engine, Oh, you're a Farang, of course you would as Farang never ever walk on by when someone is in distress......blink.png

Farangs are heroes. cheesy.gif

I I am farang, married to a thai I have first aid first class ,and I would stop to help any one in distress , but my wife and her family have warned me I would get a big problem if I stop to help, But I would still help , many farangs are afraid of getting trouble if they stop to help

• Like 1

But, when they happen in Thailand they are a slant on the whole population, if a Thai guy has an accident in Koh Samui, my wife is according to ThaiVisa, stupid 1000 Kms away, simply because she is Thai.

I think you should climb down off your cross. If this had happened in any country, most of us would have the same reaction.

• Like 1

wow, so a thai life is only worth 1000 baht, I guess life is cheap here. It still amazes me that people could just ignore two kids drowing, says a lot for thainess.

Like my Thai wife reminds me all the time, life is cheap in Thailand.

Just from what I read on a general basis, Thai's don't seem to value life much at all when it comes to others. I'm sure they value their own though.

From an Internet Site:

What Happens When Drowning

• Somebody who is drowning will likely not be able to call out for help. The primary function of the respiratory system is to breath—speech is secondary. If you can’t breath, your instincts will focus all your body’s resources on breathing—making speech impossible.
  • People who are drowning tend to bob up and down, with their head coming in and out of the water. It may look like they are catching a quick breath, but usually there isn’t enough time to fully inhale and exhale.
  • If you are drowning, your instincts take over and you can’t wave for help. Instead you will extend your arms out laterally and try to push your head up out of the water. Drowning people are unable to make voluntary movements with their hand to do things like wave for help, swim towards safety, or reach for rescue equipment.
  • While drowning, a person’s body will usually stay upright and he or she will not be able to kick.

What To Look For
Drowning can happen surprisingly fast. A drowning person can usually only stay above the water 20 to 60 seconds. That is why it is so important to know what to look for and to act quickly.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

The people filming the boys when they drown are much worse than the boat owners.

Your comment reminds of a frightening bit of dark humour that a friend of mine used to like telling :

Q - What's the mark of a true reporter ?

A - If his own beloved mother is suddenly on fire he jumps up and shouts 'don't move,Ma! I'll go get my camera!'...

What a parody of Thai Justice.

And does yor country have a good samaritan law?

Probably not; France is the only country I know of that does

Nope, these people would not be prosecuted in your country either so stop whining

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The boatmen would have known the water was rough that day, yes? From the video it appears they aren't even LOOKING at the boys. They ought to use this horrible incident as a reason to change the laws. The penalty is an insult.

"... change the laws". Is it actually the case that under Thai law I have an obligation (punishable as a crime in default) to go to the aid of a person, young or old, who has put himself in danger and I have not caused or contributed to his peril? Presumably it must be, or else these boatmen should not have been fined. Can anybody point me to the Article of the Thai Criminal Code where this provision can be found? Before we talk about changing laws, we need to know precisely what is the existing law that reputedly needs changing.

The boatmen would have known the water was rough that day, yes? From the video it appears they aren't even LOOKING at the boys. They ought to use this horrible incident as a reason to change the laws. The penalty is an insult.

"... change the laws". Is it actually the case that under Thai law I have an obligation (punishable as a crime in default) to go to the aid of a person, young or old, who has put himself in danger and I have not caused or contributed to his peril? Presumably it must be, or else these boatmen should not have been fined. Can anybody point me to the Article of the Thai Criminal Code where this provision can be found? Before we talk about changing laws, we need to know precisely what is the existing law that reputedly needs changing.

Answering my own question - found it: Section 374. Maximum penalties 1 month's imprisonment and/or 1,000 baht fine.

So if heroism is obligatory and not voluntary, is it heroism at all?

To Eliot Rosewater

And France doesn't prosecute many either, even if they have the" non assistance to a person in danger law". I have already posted about the woman who was agressed in the Paris metro and none of 38 people came to her aid, nor punched the Urgency buttons that abound. They don't risk anything much.

If they had called for help on several occasions before then they should have been experts at saving kids lives in the water and for ignoring the kids this time they should get prison for at least a year for being responsible for the kid’s deaths by not offering assistance disgraceful behaviour and as for 1000 baht fine is just a laughable punishment , that is one of the big downsides to Thailand they have no deterrent punishment for any criminal acts here, if you kill 9 people with a car 48hrs community service, stab a tourist and get a whopping 500 baht fine, leave children to drown next to your boat 1000 Baht fine. So harsh what a deterrent.

It has been said on this forum many times, that it's best not to stop in case you get the blame. Now the same people who take advice from their Thai wives to be cowards, not to stop and help someone, are the very same people castigating the boatmen.

Swimming in any river is dangerous,i nearly got swept away down the Snowy river in Australia one time,plus all sorts of unseen hazards such as dead trees under the surface,still a sad story,a large amount of thai people cannot swim,or sadly know how to stay afloat and unfortunatley the country with all the other problems i doubt that swimming will be taught any time soon.

Accident?

Deliberately not slowing down to at least HAVE A LOOK to see if the boys were really in trouble or not was no accident.

Yeah the real crime was they didnt get photos on their phones to put on facebook

• 3 weeks later...

So cheap a "Thai slumdog's life" !

It's not Mumbai, but one Thai less or more they don't care cuz it has enough people as for road accidents. Nobody cares !

Some truth to that, yes:

maps_that_will_help_you_make_sense_of_th

Life is extremely cheap inside that circle, so it's not just Thailand. In China, for example, they would not even need the crying wolf excuse.