bad agency

I'm just writing this topic to warn fellow teachers here in Thailand about an Agency I worked with for the last school year. The agency goes my either *Deleted out* or *Deleted out*

This agency was notorious for not paying us on time, withholding part of our salary for reasons they would not explain, refused to give us copies of our contracts, and they have part of my salary to a 3rd party without consulting me first. When I mentioned this, they told me to take it up with said 3rd party, and there was Nothing I could do about it.

Some of you may think this post is made in anger, far from it. I'm just posting this to make sure that if you do sign up with this Agency, you know what to expect. I would recommend against signing with them.

Although the OP does not name the agency, I have edited out references which could be construed as in violation of the rule on libel/defamation.

As a cautionary note about exercising care when taking employment with an agency, I will leave the thread open, but if you want specific information, please use the PM function rather than the open forum.

Thanks, your cooperation is appreciated.

Thank you for not deleting my entire post Scott. I'm just trying to prevent someone New to Thailand from going down the same rocky road that I was just down. I guess interested parties can PM me and I'll be happy to tell them which Agency it was, so they can avoid a similar fate as me and my former co-workers.

Thanks for the cautionary post. I was curious about your comment that they wouldn't give you a copy of your contract.

Did they meet with you to sign it with a promise to give you a fully signed copy later, and then never did?

Did they give you a copy in advance to review before signing? Not being critical of you, just wondering why you would need them to give you a copy?

Have you considered legal action against them?

This wasn't the first job I've had where I needed to sign a contract. Usually both parties receive a copy for their records. I wasn't able to make a copy of it myself because they brought them to the school I taught at and caught be between classes. So I had only a few minutes to read and sign it. And when I requested a copy for my records, they refused.

And yes, I am considering legal action. And I'll have to report them to the dept. Of labour as well.

Just as an aside, I seldom give teachers a copy of their contract. The contract is the same for everyone except for the identifying information and salary. Years ago, nearly everyone that needed a copy had misplaced or lost theirs. If they want a copy, they get it. If not it is kept in the office and whenever they need a copy they can get it.

We were printing reams of paper for no good reason.

While Docu-sign may not be valid in Thailand (it's used for multi-million Dollar real estate contracts in the US), you still could keep the "wet signature" and email your employees an E-copy. Getting a copy of what you sign is a most rudimentary business practice.

I never got a copy of my contract the first year I taught. I was told that nobody in HR has access to foreigner contracts - only the director can see them. I suspect they don't want the staff to hold grudges and start gossiping about how much we make compared to the Thai teachers. Anyway, when I signed on again for the second year, I asked the director if I could have a few minutes alone to read through the papers carefully and she left me alone in a conference room... whereby I snapped pictures of my contract with my phone.

No, the contract is 6 pages long, but when you have 300 hundred teachers, then it does amount to reams of paper.

As I said, anyone who wants a copy of their contract gets it. Most of the teachers have been with us for a number of years and have little interest in anything other than the new amount of money.