Possible changes to expat Brits' access to the NHS

On 4/26/2014 at 9:10 AM, technologybytes said:

True Brits staying in Thailand who are not truly resident in Thailand (99% of us) NEVER lose their right to NHS treatment the moment they set foot on british soil, it's just that there is a lot of bad advice offered to them, and they shoot themselves in the foot of they think they reside here, when they do not.

Spot on comment, despite the title, the visa / extension system does not ensure continuity for more than 90 days it seems. Also no healthcare provision options, for most, that has multi year continuity. It's only like having extended holiday visas.

In addition for now I'm observing the most severe guidance I could find online for the Scottish NHS, which is "not out of the UK for more than 90 days continuously" though that guidance does note that it may be challenged....Other guidance is not as severe.

This change, would  give more clarity and would take a bit of worry away, from the possibility of being an extended visitor to Thailand. (especially with 40 years NI years, and still paying a more modest tax contribution to the system).

Edited by UKresonant
On 4/28/2014 at 6:29 PM, cyborgx said:

I think to clarify this whole confusion, people need to start quoting CURRENT NHS/Immigration Rules/Laws. It's quite possible that even the current NHS rules conflict with the law in which case the Law prevails.....

I think we'd all like to know the bottom line as it currently stands

Can anyone state the bottom line as it currently stands in 2019, five years on?

Edited by UKresonant