Possible changes to expat Brits' access to the NHS

I see loop holes in this statement and my trust in the British government is at an all time low.In my home town they can not afford to keep the street lights on of evening and dont get me started on the audit of the disabled under the guise of benefit reform.It seems every time we get a statement proclaiming a new policy for the benefit of the people its because they have a doozzy of a reform just around the corner, give with one hand and take with the other.

I hope I am wrong but as always i will remain a cynic.

• Like 2

I see loop holes in this statement and my trust in the British government is at an all time low.In my home town they can not afford to keep the street lights on of evening and dont get me started on the audit of the disabled under the guise of benefit reform.It seems every time we get a statement proclaiming a new policy for the benefit of the people its because they have a doozzy of a reform just around the corner, give with one hand and take with the other.

You can't go around carrying chips on your shoulder all the time.

I am happy to put cynicism on one side and applaud this announcement. I am equally happy to believe that it will come to fruition - it has passed far enough through the system.

As well as offering a rightful option for British expats, I also hope it means that free treatment is denied to immigrants until they have 'qualified'.

Good post

However, to get free treatment one has to pay about 700gbp to get home, and not a nice journey if sick. I pay 17000 baht for an AXA medical healthcare, and covers me Reasonably well, but no doubt i will have to contribute for anything very serious

I am happy to put cynicism on one side and applaud this announcement. I am equally happy to believe that it will come to fruition - it has passed far enough through the system.

As well as offering a rightful option for British expats, I also hope it means that free treatment is denied to immigrants until they have 'qualified'.

Good post

However, to get free treatment one has to pay about 700gbp to get home, and not a nice journey if sick. I pay 17000 baht for an AXA medical healthcare, and covers me Reasonably well, but no doubt i will have to contribute for anything very serious

I agree. It is not easy to travel if you are in a coma and health insurance in Thailand remains a 'must'.

However, it is nice to know that the option will now exist to travel back to the UK. I, for one, will certainly take that option should the need arise - as long as I am fit to travel.

• Like 1

Good post

I agree. It is not easy to travel if you are in a coma and health insurance in Thailand remains a 'must'.

However, it is nice to know that the option will now exist to travel back to the UK. I, for one, will certainly take that option should the need arise - as long as I am fit to travel.

Then go on a 6 months waiting list, just for a gp, then god knows how long for a hospital visit.I am sure that i dont have a gp, not seen him for 15 years

• Like 1

This article is very misleading. It tries to oversimplify the situation for British citizens who stay outside the UK, most of which have never immigrated to Thailand (hence NON-Immigrant status) and as such have never emigrated from the UK.

I have lived in Thailand (on NON-immigrant visas) for 13 years, last year I took a short trip to the UK and needed some treatment whilst I was there.. I had to fight for my rights, but in the end the hospital treated me, as was my right.

True Brits staying in Thailand who are not truly resident in Thailand (99% of us) NEVER lose their right to NHS treatment the moment they set foot on british soil, it's just that there is a lot of bad advice offered to them, and they shoot themselves in the foot of they think they reside here, when they do not.

IMO O think you are wrong.

As an expat spending more than 6 months out of the country (the article talks of 3 but I thought it was 6) you do not have an 'entitlement' and the NHS would be within their rights to charge for their services.

However, as uptheos (and others) have pointed out, you will not be denied treatment it.

There is nothing misleading about the article at all it sets out clearly what the requirements are i.e. 7 years NICs.

• Like 1

This article is very misleading. It tries to oversimplify the situation for British citizens who stay outside the UK, most of which have never immigrated to Thailand (hence NON-Immigrant status) and as such have never emigrated from the UK.

I have lived in Thailand (on NON-immigrant visas) for 13 years, last year I took a short trip to the UK and needed some treatment whilst I was there.. I had to fight for my rights, but in the end the hospital treated me, as was my right.

True Brits staying in Thailand who are not truly resident in Thailand (99% of us) NEVER lose their right to NHS treatment the moment they set foot on british soil, it's just that there is a lot of bad advice offered to them, and they shoot themselves in the foot of they think they reside here, when they do not.

As an expat spending more than 6 months out of the country (the article talks of 3 but I thought it was 6) you do not have an 'entitlement' and the NHS would be within their rights to charge for their services.

However, as uptheos (and others) have pointed out, you will not be denied treatment it.

There is nothing misleading about the article at all it sets out clearly what the requirements are i.e. 7 years NICs.

Forget NHS rules, they mean nothing. Look up the legislation instead, I had to print a copy and take it to the hospital, after 4 hours and a lot of crap from the receptionist they admitted I was correct and I got an apology.

No matter how long you are away, if you are a true brit (not a recent import) and you have not taken up legal residency in another country (as 99% of brits here have not) then 100% of your rights are reinstated the moment you set foot on british soil (you have to state that it's your intention to stay, no evidence of this intent may be requested).

Edited by technologybytes
  • Like 2

About time. pensioners especially will have 30 years plus of NH payments

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that even before this announcement of intent; any person holding a British Passport aged 65 and over WAS entitled to free NHS services.

Would be grateful to the op, who said he'd had to print out the info that enabled him to get the free service, to give us the details of where we can find same please.

Forget NHS rules, they mean nothing. Look up the legislation instead, I had to print a copy and take it to the hospital, after 4 hours and a lot of crap from the receptionist they admitted I was correct and I got an apology.

No matter how long you are away, if you are a true brit (not a recent import) and you have not taken up legal residency in another country (as 99% of brits here have not) then 100% of your rights are reinstated the moment you set foot on british soil (you have to state that it's your intention to stay, no evidence of this intent may be requested).

In your first post you conveniently forgot to mention the intention to reside.

That has never been in doubt and, as you say, you don't have to prove it - in fact you cannot prove a future event.

Forget phrases like "True Brit" - if you are British you have these rights. Residency elsewhere is irrelevant.

Many african women arrive at Heathrow with a visa saying they have come to buy babies clothes.All are in the last stages of pregnancy.

The babies are then born in Britain at MY cost.

This cost is immense when you take into account ALL the contributions I was forced to pay into the NHS scam.

44 years of payments of which the mandarins cleverly diguised my true contributions.The employers contribution was also EARNED by the workers.[if you cannot work this out pm me].

Then those living in working class areas got crap overseas doctors as their GP's while those living in Knightsbride,Kensington and similar got English trained GP's.

Then we are treated [they try it on me] as beggars and lowlife scroungers by doctors and hospital receptionists..

Another scam is 'prescription medicine'

IE Ventolin, used by thousands daily costs 3 times as much in Britain as it does in Thailand..[The Thai government is not noted for its generosity]as it is only 'prescribed' medicine.

I am certain many other medicines needed daily are puposely put on prescription as it generates more money which can then be used treating poor foreigners who somehow get terribly ill the minute they arrive in Britain.

• Like 1

Good news and it is unfortunate that some drag up old resentments, even though a change for the good is coming.

Much like receiving a pot of gold coins, only to complain that the pot is too heavy or the coins aren't as shiny as someone else's coins.

• Like 2

One wonders why passport applications can not be made via postage anymore in Thailand, it still exists in nearby S.E Asia border countries, thus the question is ... why, why ...

Probably as a result of large numbers of fraudulent attempts to obtain replacement UK passports in Thailand, and the large number of UK passports that are stolen here. Thailand is reputed to be a hub for stolen and falsified documents of all types.

I got my passport replaced during a brief visit to the UK last year. This cost me less than it would have cost to do it here and it was very quick (same day). Remaining validity of your old passport up to 9 months is added to the new one, so the system is suitable for anyone who goes to the UK once a year (as many UK expats do).

• Like 1

There are several disrespects in England for expats in Thailand (and other countries) supported and carried on by both, 10. Downing Street and the Westminster Parliament ....

There is a frozen state pension, No right to take part in elections anymore, and NHS is available only after being 6 months back in UK.

Now in order to renew the passport the chaps in the north of Thailand have to travel to Bangkok, that is a journey of 1000 KM and it takes 10 hrs via road travel, and that has to be done four times ...

two times in, and two times out, it is 40 hrs and expensive.

One wonders why passport applications can not be made via postage anymore in Thailand, it still exists in nearby S.E Asia border countries, thus the question is ... why, why ...

Retired UK expats have paid state contributions during their entire working life in England, but get no respect of it, and the frozen state pension is a shocking political activity.

Couldn't agree more! The frozen state pension is indefensible.

As for passport renewal, I am in the middle of that process now and, living in Chiang Mai, I am faced with an unwanted and expensive trip to Bangkok in the next few days. What's even more irritating is, having allowed over six weeks for processing initially, my application was delayed at Suvannaphum Airport for two weeks and my passport is now in danger of arriving too late for my annual visa extension.

Frustration? I didn't know the meaning of the word until I came to live in Thailand!

Edited by awayego
  • Like 1