Bitch in heat

... again and we really don't want any more puppies. So, some naive questions: how long will she stay in this condition if we don't let her near the boys?

Somewhat indelicate: I pulled a small male off her last night, that hurt them both but things are ok I think. Would I be advised to not do this, is this dangerous? The contact only took place for about 10 seconds, so I guess nothing happened? Would it be a big deal to get rid of any pregnancy and at the same time have her splayed? We think she is about 5 years old.

Get her spayed. It's simply the best solution all round.

We faffed around too much with our bitch and it was nearly too late. She got out and got absolutely mauled by another dog - don't know if it was a bitch or the psychotic mastif around the corner, but she was a mess.

Now she's back to her normal self, put on a bit of weight but no more horrible months where the poor little girl is purely driven on instinct and behaves all wierd.

Talk to a vet and get it done. Ours was in in the morning, out that night and about 2000 baht.

• Like 1

Get her spayed. It's simply the best solution all round.

We faffed around too much with our bitch and it was nearly too late. She got out and got absolutely mauled by another dog - don't know if it was a bitch or the psychotic mastif around the corner, but she was a mess.

Now she's back to her normal self, put on a bit of weight but no more horrible months where the poor little girl is purely driven on instinct and behaves all wierd.

Talk to a vet and get it done. Ours was in in the morning, out that night and about 2000 baht.

+ 1 thumbsup.gif

The Vet may not (I could be wrong) but may not do the operation while she is in heat. Worth checking anyhow.

I once had to rescue my Golden Retriever from some mongrel that jumped a 6ft fence to get to her. I was bashing the Mongrel over the head with a shovel and spraying a garden hose at the connected bits. They "un hooked" the mongrel (Rapist) scaled the fence and ran off howling but I was all too late, she had 9 puppies...all very cute but I was not a very happy Grandfather.

Good luck with yours!

I don't think a vet would spay her while she's on heat.

Your only chance to keep her from the males is to cage her until the heat is over. Otherwise some randy male is bound to find his way to her.

I'm looking at a similar situation in the near future. My toy poodle bitch should be coming on heat next month. We have one male with whom she mated before; they produced nice puppies, which were welcomed in the village. Not purebred, of course. But now we have another male, too big for her, so the two males will be competing.

I have two choices, as far as I can see; either I have the female spayed, and say goodbye to any future puppies, or I have the new male neutered. Third possibility is the cage, but that only postpones the decision.

• Like 1

The bitch I am talking about is also a poodle. She is an escape artist and ate a hole in a nice bamboo gate I made for the dog pound. (yes, ate). We have another 9 males to deal with as well as the village dogs. I'll ask our vet tomorrow.

Wont spay in heat as too many veins or capillaries so responsible vet wont do it. U have 9-12days of bleeding then 3-5Days of fertility.(Cant remeber in english)so either let her run with boys and then spay or day afterr shot or cage her. In same position with my lhasa bitch..Never pull a mounted male from the bitch u can cause serious damage to both sets of genitals...spelling frm android...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Wont spay in heat as too many veins or capillaries so responsible vet wont do it. U have 9-12days of bleeding then 3-5Days of fertility.(Cant remeber in english)so either let her run with boys and then spay or day afterr shot or cage her. In same position with my lhasa bitch..Never pull a mounted male from the bitch u can cause serious damage to both sets of genitals...spelling frm android...

Thanks. I risked it and they both seem to be ok now.

Most often damage is ti the dogs penis as there are delicste membranes ...nd if they r tied (back to back) for sure u have to wait...that will really cause dsmage as the oenis locks in to the vagina and stays swollen nd a bit twisted until everything goes diwn. My dog used to whine every time he would separate and we daw that he must have injured himsrlf when separating to soon due to commotion around him ir snother male... (he's neutered but remembers how to stud)

The bitch I am talking about is also a poodle. She is an escape artist and ate a hole in a nice bamboo gate I made for the dog pound. (yes, ate). We have another 9 males to deal with as well as the village dogs. I'll ask our vet tomorrow.

That means a cage, cooked. And spay afterwards.

I've decided to neuter the new male. I'm not looking forward to it either. The vet will say, Don't bathe him for a week. Well, I won't, but he loves swimming, and jumps gleefully into every pond. In an area of ricefields there are small ponds whichever direction I go. So that means a week on the lead.... and even then he'll probably go across to the temple pond for a swim!

Thanks. We kept her in a room where she couldn't be 'got at'. Big joke, 'somebody' managed to break the lock on the door and it happened. I guess a cage is the only solution but I have a soft heart. Father would be a black Affenpinscher, mother a white poodle. My wife reckons we can sell them...

• 1 month later...

Thanks. We kept her in a room where she couldn't be 'got at'. Big joke, 'somebody' managed to break the lock on the door and it happened. I guess a cage is the only solution but I have a soft heart. Father would be a black Affenpinscher, mother a white poodle. My wife reckons we can sell them...

Even if she is impregnated, you can still get her spayed and abort the fertilized eggs early in the process. The last thing Thailand needs is more puppies.

Can not spray during the season, many complications.

Total of about 3 weeks.

First week she will not let boys near her , second week she is choosy, third she runs after any and all boys.

Keep isolated and spray her about 1 month after the season has finished