• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Easy & inexpensive method to transfer $ to US Bank?

I've seen many discussions on transferring money from US to Banks but nothing on the reverse. Has anyone come across an easy and inexpensive method to send/deposit money from Thailand into a US bank??

Most banks charge outrageous fees for wire transfers. I'm considering using Western Union to send money to family in US and asking them to mail a check/deposit into my US bank. This would be more clumsy and take longer than a bank-to-bank wire transfer but would save me a little bit in transfer fees.

Any ideas?

Western Union makes money on both the fee and the rate so make sure to compare the total price of whatever you're sending. I have a hard time believing they are cheaper than a wire, except for smaller amounts.

Forgot, they have an estimator on their website so I think you could see what it'll cost in baht for a certain amount of dollars.

Edited by Carmine6

Western Union makes money on both the fee and the rate so make sure to compare the total price of whatever you're sending. I have a hard time believing they are cheaper than a wire, except for smaller amounts.

Forgot, they have an estimator on their website so I think you could see what it'll cost in baht for a certain amount of dollars.

Yes. You are correct but it may be cheaper than wiring depending on the method used to send the money. The "Money in Minutes" service directly to a person is most expensive but their on-line service, sent to the receivers bank account takes longer (up to a week) but the sending fee is far less than the Money in Minutes. (Their ("sucky") exchange rate is same for both sending methods.)