Help forum or personal help for Samsung Galaxy Note-3

The Deerhunter

I had a Samsung Galaxy S2 & loved it. Wife decided she needed a SS G. Note-3 & I had to buy it for her. (I told her it was too complicated for her). After 2 months she gave it to me & went back to her Nokia non-smart, and I gave the SS GS2 to a Thai family member who needed a smart phone for Uni. So now i have a Note 3 which is way more than any normal person needs, just like I told her. Ideally I should just buy a S3, 4 or 5 but I have this thing & the camera & screen are gorgeous. I have a Thai manual for it and an extra Thai "how-to" book from See-Ed which are useless for me, so I bought an English one on Amazon but there are several things I cannot work out in setting it up for me & have not found in the book. I have been on Fandroid forum but that looks pretty hard going. Does any one know of a forum I can ask questions on or feel like volunteering to help me get through the 3 or 4 things that are bothering me. One was lack of calculator but I fixed that with Air-calc (Note-3 seems not to have a built in calculator). The other things centre around it was initialized in Thai for my Thai wife & I want it all in English & personalized to me not her. Also, beef I have with the really wonderful voice control feature, and also with "Knox" a potentially great feature which I had to uninstall because once loaded i couldn't get back to standard mode. It wanted to stay in Knox. I do not want to make all features work because no one person would ever need all that it can do, and I have got a reasonable handle on it with my GS2 experience. The GS2 was wonderful. This is just too much of a good thing.

All practical offers appreciated. Personal mail me if you like.

Yeah, I'm certain the GNote3 has a native calculator but given the amount of stuff on the phone it may be challenging to find?

Obviously switch the language to English (Settings, personal, Language & input, Language (English), and while there change the Keyboard & input methods to the desired option.

Always re-start the phone.

Download the user's guide pdf http://www.note3manual.com/ and read it, of course.

Watch some youtube videos https://www.google.com/search?q=using+a+note+3&oq=using+a+note+3&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2663j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=using+a+note+3&tbm=vid

Post follow up questions in clear, short, concise, numbered format.

• Like 1

There are several free calculators available from the "Play Store". I suppose you'll need to fire up a Google account, which seems to bother some people. The best thing about the Note 3 is the camera, and that can be made even better with some add-ons. I thought the S Pen would be very useful, but I hardly ever use it. All in all, the Note 3 is overstuffed with "features", but it is a much better product than Note 2.

Don't forget, you can slip a 32 or 64 gb memory card in there and pack in all the media you ever wanted. Like the other guys said, go online and get the manual. You have a great device there, don't toss it.

Been on my Note 3 for about 6 months and simply would not consider anything else. Sure it's larger than most handsets but I use it for Web apps which is perfect. Google PLAY has so many variations of apps you will find what you need there.

Oh, and install a nice launcher, then you can put what you want on your desktop, in folders if you so desire so it looks tidy.

+1

I swear by Smart Launcher is simple and quick.

I have had every smartphone from the day dot.com :D note 3 is the best for me. ..and my business it's like an office on the go...you don't need to do much to get it going at all...A Google account a Samsung account and bingo you're ready to get going...everything else you can google...you find every calculator and his son on the app sore also there are 3 specific icons that when you touch them open up a icon menu. ..i am constantly on my phone so I pretty much know all there is to know about the Samsung note 3...inbox me and I give you number...you're welcome to call me and I talk you through any problem.. :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Have a Note 3 since November ..amazing phone if you can use it ..neighbour bought one and spent a lot of time helping her get familiar with the extensive features and still not using the S pen ..try and find someone who has one and knows how to use it. I coyld never go back to a 'normal' phone. The S pen adds a whole new demension to a Smartphone ..

Edited by rmacee

Where are you based? If you are in Bangkok I'd be happy to meet and show you how to set it up, use it etc.

Go Launcher EX (as someone else already suggested) is wonderful, however just installing it won't help as it is complex to setup unless you are a techie :-)

There are many many great apps, but I'd need to discuss what you need and the advise and show you how to configure them for ease of use.

• Like 1

As a designer I have found the preloaded app Sketchbook for Galaxy by Autodesk, together with the S-pen, almost miraculous. I'd never used a stylus before and I've been using most makes of cellphone since I got my first Nokia on AIS free with a friend's purchase of a BMW in 1992. The Note3 takes some getting used to but as others have said, I'll have trouble ever going back to a smaller screen, a lesser camera, or fewer available apps. Hope you get there too. The quality of the photos and how you can enhance them with Photoshop Express and Aviary alone is worth the price of admission. And you've already paid that anyway so might as well get on with it. If you'd like help with any of the photo or graphic design aspects I'd be happy to try.

I would suggest start with a factory reset and start afresh. Under settings> Account> backup and reset>factory data reset.

Then you can start new again to how you like it.

I have a Galaxy Tab3 which someone else used, pain as everywhere you find things they had set up. easiest is to give factory reset and start anew.

Sounds like it's a thai model SN-900 if so then there's no Omega rom for it, but there are a few nice roms available.

There's a Calc as a standard app, it's in a Samsung folder though on a 1st page of your app drawer I think.

I don't use the stylus too often myself but I do use if frequently and it's very helpful.

If you're going to root it, remove the Knox and all the Knox cr@p that came with it, free up the memory, you won't ever use it.

Ask here if you have any specific questions.

As somebody else suggested: You Tube has dozens of tutorials for the Note-3. Some of them are total trash but those will become obvious quickly...just cut the poor ones off'

The good ones really do help...make liberal use of the pause and back buttons and you will learn a lot in an afternoon.

Also ...go on youtube ..many 'how to' videos for Note 3 ...work you way thru them and you will learn all you need to know ..

sorry ..just noticed this point has been covered ...

Edited by rmacee

Go Launcher EX (as someone else already suggested) is wonderful, however just installing it won't help as it is complex to setup unless you are a techie :-)

Hardly complex! Time consuming, though.

biggrin.png

Perhaps not complex to you or I.

I have a friend (50 years old) who bought an android phone and then needed me to show him how to remove all the widgets that came preset on the homescreens, then show him how to add widgets, show him how to use Google Play to download apps, etc etc

To me it seems like the guy is a <deleted> moron, but its just that he's old and not used to computers and tech stuff. He would never have been able to configure Go Launch EX, all the options would have just scared him away!

Hardly complex! Time consuming, though.

biggrin.png

Perhaps not complex to you or I.

I have a friend (50 years old) who bought an android phone and then needed me to show him how to remove all the widgets that came preset on the homescreens, then show him how to add widgets, show him how to use Google Play to download apps, etc etc

To me it seems like the guy is a <deleted> moron, but its just that he's old and not used to computers and tech stuff. He would never have been able to configure Go Launch EX, all the options would have just scared him away!

There aren't that many! Press and Hold to add an app or a Widget. Not difficult and easier than the Touchwiz version.

Drop one onto another to create a Folder. Makes life very simple.

Thanks for all the helpful answers but a really nice guy came through on a private post & answered all my questions (including where the native calculator is hiding).

So far as I am concerned, post closed so if you have something rreally importaant to offer you will have to private message me.

I will not be monitoring this any more

Great to have so much help & one really neat helpful guy.

Thanks again to you all. 'Bye.