Changing over to a Marriage Visa

I am seeking kind advice and assistance for the best way to handle this situation, I am currently on a work permit expiring in mid August and will not be renewing with my company and wish to change over to a marriage visa just prior to this expiring, I am aware already of all the requirements & restrictions for this marriage visa and can comply accordingly but am wondering which is the most efficient way of processing this change. I thank you for your kind feedback and suggestions on this matter appreciating that I still have ample time before August. Thanks !!!

I assume you have an extension of stay based upon working and want to change to one based upon marriage to a Thai.

All you need to do is go to immigration with a letter from your employer stating you are no longer working. Immigration will cancel your extension for working and then accept your application for the one based upon marriage. You will need the financial proof and all the other supporting documents when you do this.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I assume you have an extension of stay based upon working and want to change to one based upon marriage to a Thai.

All you need to do is go to immigration with a letter from your employer stating you are no longer working. Immigration will cancel your extension for working and then accept your application for the one based upon marriage. You will need the financial proof and all the other supporting documents when you do this.

Do not forget to take the wife with you when the change is requested !

If for some reason you do not have all of the required documents for the immediate extension for marriage you can apply for a 60 day extension to "visit your family" to give you time to get everything in order. Don't forget the Kor Ror 2 form in additrion to the KR3 marriage certificate.

• Like 1

Would it not be easier to renew first & then change to extn based on marriage the following year?

He does not plan on working for the company any more after August or there about. As soon as his job ends his extension ends.

One comment:

A work permit and a Visa is 2 different things.

If your work permit expire your Visa (If it is a business visa) will expire 2.

When this happens or the company cancel the work permit you will get a letter

that tell you to leave Thailand with in 7 days:-(

I tried this.

What I did, was to extend my old NON-O for 1 year based of marriage.

and just let the company cancel my 2 year Business visa (BOI).

(I was quit surprise that I could just go back to my original NON-O visa and extend this without any

problem.)

If you not have had a NON-O visa before i suggest to go outside Thailand and apply for a NON-O.

You can then when your new NON-O expire extend it because of marriage if your wife is still happily married :-)

God luck

wai.gif

One comment:

I tried this.

(I was quit surprise that I could just go back to my original NON-O visa and extend this without any

problem.)

If you not have had a NON-O visa before i suggest to go outside Thailand and apply for a NON-O.

You can then when your new NON-O expire extend it because of marriage if your wife is still happily married :-)

God luck

wai.gif

You are mixing up visas and extensions of stay from immigration.

A visa does not end when the job ends. Only extensions of stay end when the job does.

The OP will be able to change the reason for his extension of stay based upon working to one based upon marriage.

No extension of stay requires a particular category of non immigrant visa entry. All that is required is a non immigrant visa.

One comment:

I tried this.

problem.)

God luck

wai.gif

A visa does not end when the job ends. Only extensions of stay end when the job does.

The OP will be able to change the reason for his extension of stay based upon working to one based upon marriage.

No extension of stay requires a particular category of non immigrant visa entry. All that is required is a non immigrant visa.

I am aware of this.

My 2 Year business visa was connected to the company (BOI) so when the work permit expired

So did the visa.

I could not use the business visa at my new company.

Properly because the new company is not BOI promoted.

Edited by Muggi1968

One comment:

I tried this.

problem.)

God luck

wai.gif

I am aware of this.

My 2 Year business visa was connected to the company (BOI) so when the work permit expired

So did the visa.

I could not use the business visa at my new company.

Properly because the new company is not BOI promoted.

Suspect that is was actually an Extension of Permission to Stay, not a Visa that you were on, so it would have ended with your job whatever, even if you went to work at another BOI company.

I just today finished the change from work to marriage as reason for extension of stay, only I keep working for the same company but wanted to have a more stable basis for my extension as I worry a bit about the stability of my employer.

The first time is a bit of a hurdle to take as they ask for all kinds of proof that you are actually married and live together. We even had to show up at immigrations with a Thai neighbor who states that we live in our house together. My luck was that one of our neighbors works a volunteer at immigrations...

Further extensions of stay based on marriage should now be more easy than the work extensions.

• Like 1

I just today finished the change from work to marriage as reason for extension of stay, only I keep working for the same company but wanted to have a more stable basis for my extension as I worry a bit about the stability of my employer.

The first time is a bit of a hurdle to take as they ask for all kinds of proof that you are actually married and live together. We even had to show up at immigrations with a Thai neighbor who states that we live in our house together. My luck was that one of our neighbors works a volunteer at immigrations...

Further extensions of stay based on marriage should now be more easy than the work extensions.

Good choice thumbsup.gif

My attorney recommended me the marriage visa (Extension) instead of a Business for the same reason, Much easier when you have done it once :-)

When I extended my stay 2 and 3 time i only have to fill in a new TM7, copy the passport and take new pictures of me and the family, All paperwork DONE smile.png

(All other papers was the same)

P.s

4 month after I changed the visa I resigned from the company because of missing salary..

2 month after I resigned, they fired all (with no salary) and closed the office.

And I still have my marriage visa (Extension)thumbsup.gif

wai.gif