1st time in Bangkok in over a year..any adivce?

willyumiii

Next week I need to go to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok for the first time since all of the turmoil has started in the BIG Mango.

Any advice?

Is it safe?

Any areas to avoid?

Also..

Do you know of any decent hotels, not priced for tourist ( reasonable ) any where that is not too far from the Embassy and close to any entertainment?

Thanks in advance for the help.

And thanks for not giving any cute, funny and witty replies! ( I wish )

I was in BKK three times last week in the same area,no problems whatsoever.

The first time i stayed overnight,what entertainment?After living here awhile it gets boring.

The last two times i left very early in the morning to arrive at the Embassy before opening time,finished my business and got out of there.

If you need to stay close to where you want to go try Nana(soi4)

Loft 77 is a very reasonably priced place... 600 baht a night 4 star free wifi etc... many of my friends stay there again and again...google it for location.

Entertainment? ...well.in a place like BKK There is loads and you can never get tired of it..try soi 4 the Hillary 2 and 4 bars...cowboy...etc...etc....etc...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You ordinarily need an appointment to be seen at the embassy. Log in to the website and make an appointment under citizen services. Print out your appointment slip and take it with you. If you do a walk-in you will be seen after all those with appointments.

You ordinarily need an appointment to be seen at the embassy. Log in to the website and make an appointment under citizen services. Print out your appointment slip and take it with you. If you do a walk-in you will be seen after all those with appointments.

Correct, don't be surprised if they turn you down......... (&^%$^(&$(&^

When I lived up in Isaan and had to come down to BKK I used to love the Thai House Inn located in the Star Wars Bar-like lane running between Sukhumvit Sois 5 & 7. Just stepping out the door for a minute is entertainment enough for a month. You'll see what I mean about the lane and catch a glimpse of the establishment towards the end of this video.Soi 5 to Soi 7 Walk at night Sukhumvit Bangkok:

• Like 1

Loft 77 is a very reasonably priced place... 600 baht a night 4 star free wifi etc... many of my friends stay there again and again...google it for location.

Entertainment? ...well.in a place like BKK There is loads and you can never get tired of it..try soi 4 the Hillary 2 and 4 bars...cowboy...etc...etc....etc...

never is much longer than you think

How true, things that lit my candle even 10 years ago are a yawn these days.

• Like 1

You guys must be getting on a bit then ;-)

You guys must be getting on a bit then ;-)

Or alternatively, SIDITIO, seen it, done it and ticked it off by age 40. But as ever, one man's meat.......

Do not wear a red or yellow T-shirt...

I have only bright colors, red, yellow, blue, orange sometime dark blue, seldom black or white and wear them in Thailand-I live here, since decades,

never any problem.thumbsup.gif

Stay away from Thai Government buildings and any large crowds with signs.

I have stayed at Baan Saleadang and was very happy. Close to Silom BTS and a short way from the embassies

A few weeks back I was staying in a hotel right in the centre of one of the STOP protests. It was more of a party atmosphere during the day with bands, music etc and at night the same but punctuated by televised speeches. Only friendly faces. There was free food for those staying in tents on site and more than once I was invited into the catering tent as I went about my daily business,

The big trouble is still to come and won't be related to Thaksin, Yingluck, STOP, red/yellow shirt.

• 4 weeks later...

The big trouble is still to come and won't be related to Thaksin, Yingluck, STOP, red/yellow shirt.

My compliments on the accuracy of your crystal ball, Swami. post-4641-1156694083.gif

(I suspect the trouble to which you actually refer has not yet occurred but you get credit now for predicting recent events.)

Edited by Diplomatico

My compliments on the accuracy of your crystal ball, Swami. post-4641-1156694083.gif

(I suspect the trouble to which you actually refer has not yet occurred but you get credit now for predicting recent events.)

One doesn't need to be Einstein to figure it out but such talk isn't permitted here.

As for the OP, I left Bangkok late last week and there are no problems if you stay away from Victory Monument or anywhere there are large gatherings. Bangkok is a big place and it is likely you won't see one soldier or protestor. I'll be back next week with absolutely no worries.