Plumbing / hot water pipes .. speed fit !

riki48

Hi All

I have a condo and the hot feed (and the cold for that matter) to the mixer shower is in what looks like 20mm steel pipework.

The pipes run in the concrete condo floor.

The condo below mine has notified me of a leak, I have carried out some explority work and discovered the leak is from the hot feed to the shower which is fed across the bathroom floor from a water heater under the bathroom sink.

So I now have to re feed the shower and intend to go up into and across the false ceilling as I don't want to rip up the tiled floor.

If in uk I would use speed fit but don't see it here? Can anyone give me some options on an alternative to steel pipe?

ps I have seen some green plastic pipe stocked in homepro etc but it requires a special tool I believe which is expensive.

Regards

Riki

I certainly miss the speedfit plumbing aswell. Full house central heating system in a weekend, brilliant.

You might have to do it the thai way and cut and solvent weld each joint. Its easy if you get it right first time.....but that's the problem, when you spread the glue you have 5seconds to ram it home and swivel it to the right angle. If its wrong its cut it off and prepare again.

You could take all the pipework in blue plastic to a point convenient to fit the compression isolator valve/gate and then fix a metal ribbed flexi back up to the shower.

Flexis come in lengths upton 1200mm so not a major problem.

A previous poster suggested compression fittings but actually copper and fittings are not that readily available, then its a complement of spanners and pipe cutters if you are not already tooled up.

• 3 weeks later...

You might have to do it the thai way and cut and solvent weld each joint. Its easy if you get it right first time.....but that's the problem, when you spread the glue you have 5seconds to ram it home and swivel it to the right angle. If its wrong its cut it off and prepare again.

You could take all the pipework in blue plastic to a point convenient to fit the compression isolator valve/gate and then fix a metal ribbed flexi back up to the shower.

Hi again and thanks for the reply.

Next question is then can I use the blue pipe and solvent weld/ glue the joints for the hot water feed?? I thought the blus pipe was only for cold water..

If I can use the blue pipe it will make my life easier, also have found that they sell 1/2'' copper pipe and yorkie fittings in the air-con supplies shop around the corner.

Can I use the blue, if not will go down the copper route and get a blow torch and solder the joints.

Regards

Riki

The fact that its hot or cold water is irrelevant, the solvent weld is to prevent leaks.

But you can not solvent weld a plain ended blue pipe (mdpe) into the chrome threaded fittings of a shower.

You should run a flexi to the shower and the other end of the flexi to a gate valve/service valve....the ones with the red or blue plastic lever tap.

This inturn would be screwed into the plastic female end of the mdpe.

The gate valve allows you to switch of the water at that point and replace or repair the shower at any point.

something like this

post-150623-14000818809542_thumb.jpg

This is for the wc and bum gun but for shower you can have an actual tap to activate

Hope that helps

Hi again and thanks for the reply.

Next question is then can I use the blue pipe and solvent weld/ glue the joints for the hot water feed?? I thought the blus pipe was only for cold water..

If I can use the blue pipe it will make my life easier, also have found that they sell 1/2'' copper pipe and yorkie fittings in the air-con supplies shop around the corner.

Can I use the blue, if not will go down the copper route and get a blow torch and solder the joints.

Regards

Riki

Just be aware that not all blue pipe will be MDPE or be the type you can glue together. PPR is very popular in Asia and the Middle East. It comes in blue or green and the pipe and fittings are welded together by heating them up to the point of melting them. This requires a special tool. There is also CPVC which can be solvent welded together and usually comes in an off white or beige colour.

Sent from my KFTT using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app