Fire in Chaweng.

Another fire.

Breaking News Fire in Chaweng

We are receiving reports of a large fire at the main junction of the Chaweng Beach Road where a transponder has caught fire.

http://www.samuitimes.com/breaking-news-fire-in-chaweng/

I wonder if the huge power draw from Central Festival has anything to do with this one.

No, their transformer (not transponder) is not in a Chaweng Beach Road junction.

This is more likely a general overheating of the transformer due to high ambient temperature in combination with overloading (aircons running all day in the hot weather).

The transformer explosion season is here..

Edited by lom
  • Like 2

Looks like autobots lost the battle to the decepicons

Another fire.

Breaking News Fire in Chaweng

We are receiving reports of a large fire at the main junction of the Chaweng Beach Road where a transponder has caught fire.

http://www.samuitimes.com/breaking-news-fire-in-chaweng/

I wonder if the huge power draw from Central Festival has anything to do with this one.

No, their transformer (not transponder) is not in a Chaweng Beach Road junction.

This is more likely a general overheating of the transformer due to high ambient temperature in combination with overloading (aircons running all day in the hot weather).

The transformer explosion season is here..

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

hence Samui Municipality should spend resources on local electricity infrastructure, and not on paying international consultants for advice on inexpensive and unreliable renewable energy

Electricity generation and distribution is handled by EGAT and PEA, not the Samui Municipality so you are barking up the wrong tree.

• Like 2

Wow, that's a lot of fires in the one area lately. I think the comment earlier about needing to upgrade local infrastructure was spot on.

The jumbled mass of wires that line the beach road are certainly a fire hazard. First time I saw it I was amazed.

Wow, that's a lot of fires in the one area lately. I think the comment earlier about needing to upgrade local infrastructure was spot on.

The jumbled mass of wires that line the beach road are certainly a fire hazard. First time I saw it I was amazed.

Some times, perhaps most of the time, (?) these wires are old lines that were cut and replaced, but the old lines not removed.... so they are not all "live"..... So I was told...anyway or some one sent a video about that in BKK once ! .... so it becomes more of an eye sore .....wink.png

It actually surprises me that there are not more fires, generally.... I suppose if there were better attention would be given to it all.... whistling.gif

I did see PEA lopping branches away from power lines yesterday.... a lot more of than needs to be done...thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Some times, perhaps most of the time, (?) these wires are old lines that were cut and replaced, but the old lines not removed.... so they are not all "live"..... So I was told...anyway or some one sent a video about that in BKK once ! .... so it becomes more of an eye sore .....wink.png

It actually surprises me that there are not more fires, generally.... I suppose if there were better attention would be given to it all.... whistling.gif

I did see PEA lopping branches away from power lines yesterday.... a lot more of than needs to be done...thumbsup.gif

When tbere in October last year I was driving up the soi in Chaweng near the older Muay Thai stadium, there on the right was one guy standing on a branch of a tree, holding onto another and sawing away, lopping away branches near the mass of wires.

All I could think was how stringent the OH&S laws are back home and only in Thailand would they work like that (well perhaps in a few SE Asian countries).

At least they were getting the job done, hopefully without anyone getting hurt. It was certainly a sight.