Food

naboo

"jealousy of good food" ??? I can't begin to imagin what that would be, I suppose when I see a lovely lass licking an ice cream, I may be jealous of that ice cream for a moment.... Hellojohny you got a dirty mind!

• Like 1

While there is some decent food available here, Chiang Mai is hardly a culinary paradise. So food is a perennially popular topic, because good food is missed. Meanwhile in Hong Kong, forum chat is likely about women. Let us therefore rejoice rather than lament.

T

• Like 2

While there is some decent food available here, Chiang Mai is hardly a culinary paradise. So food is a perennially popular topic, because good food is missed. Meanwhile in Hong Kong, forum chat is likely about women. Let us therefore rejoice rather than lament.

T

Exactly. thumbsup.gif

T

As a guy from Hong Kong I lol'd.

T

I beg to differ.

So long as your palate is more refined than that of your average cheeseburger muncher, Chiang Mai has endless opportunities for a good meal out.

Though its still not worthy of endless food topics.

On the topic of food, does anyone else panic when your other half invites the neighbours over to join in the Som Tam, Gai Yang fest? I'm looking at the plate figuring how this is enough for 3, never mind 5. Thanfully they decline her offer.

While we're on the subject does anyone know a good place for pizza or a burger???

Pizza Paradise on Ratvithi Rd do amazing pizzas, but you have to buy them freshly made and they cost around 600bht for a 16'' by the time you add some extra toppings.

While we're on the subject does anyone know a good place for pizza or a burger???

Pizza Paradise on Ratvithi Rd do amazing pizzas, but you have to buy them freshly made and they cost around 600bht for a 16'' by the time you add some extra toppings.

I think you have responded to sarcasm!

• Like 2

I think perhaps more a wise-ass comment from a wise-ass poster but perhaps "finy" is new and isn't in the know about our local TV forum's members obsession with posting about pizza and burgers so I give him a pass and will show that I appreciate his suggestion by trying it out.

As I wind up my month long vacation on Koh Samui I must say that the food offerings, besides the obvious excellent seafood, are much better than the much larger Chiang Mai. Italian, a Swiss-run steak house, Muslim Maylay inspired road side stands etc etc. But oh the seafood, fresh from the 4 am market, the your feet in the sand joints and just this morning we got from the ocean in front of our rental a bounty of sea urchins, sea cucumbers, sea slugs, sea snails, clams and crabs that will make one delicious, or at least interesting, lunch. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

• Like 1

If you like steak and want to splurge

Go to PROMENADA and go to meat

Case and for 850bht a kilo can get rib eye from New ZELAND is the most tender and flavorful I have had in years

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

If you mean Paradise Pizza, they are OK for Thailand, but that is about the extent of it. blink.png

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

If you like steak and want to splurge

Go to PROMENADA and go to meat

Case and for 850bht a kilo can get rib eye from New ZELAND is the most tender and flavorful I have had in years

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Is meat Case a restaurant, a butcher or the retail meat section in Rimping? (I think there is a Rimping there)

I think perhaps more a wise-ass comment from a wise-ass poster but perhaps "finy" is new and isn't in the know about our local TV forum's members obsession with posting about pizza and burgers so I give him a pass and will show that I appreciate his suggestion by trying it out.

As I wind up my month long vacation on Koh Samui I must say that the food offerings, besides the obvious excellent seafood, are much better than the much larger Chiang Mai. Italian, a Swiss-run steak house, Muslim Maylay inspired road side stands etc etc. But oh the seafood, fresh from the 4 am market, the your feet in the sand joints and just this morning we got from the ocean in front of our rental a bounty of sea urchins, sea cucumbers, sea slugs, sea snails, clams and crabs that will make one delicious, or at least interesting, lunch. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

Have you tried " The Larder" there in Koh Samui yet, just up from Chaweng? Worth it just for the Mojito's alone!

Sorry for the non-CM tangent (hope I don't get spanked, but then again ...) but as it was regurgitated I must mentioned dinner at Barracuds Restaurnat in Mae Nam last night was really great! ( if anyone is interested I've been posting in the Koh Samui Forum - "All Food Related" . You can take the TV poster out of Chiang Mai but you can't ....) Micmac thanks for the sugggestion, still here and will chk it out. Tonight's dinner is at The Shack, an American's steak house serving USA cuts. Hope Yai doesn't think my dinner is for the whole family!!

Ya I was going to suggest McDonald's and Pizza hut to him because I know he has a sense of quality in taste. He has also trained his kids to know the difference. I am waiting to hear his view on Dave's Italian restaurant at the Promenade.

We ate there yesterday. We all enjoyed it except for the wife she is of the if it isn't Thai it is no good type. Her daughter and son in law had a Pizza made on flat bread that looked good and they enjoyed it and the two granddaughters had some kind of Pasta that they really enjoyed. I had Garlic bread stuffed with garlic, cheese, ham, olives, and a couple of little black things ( Methinks they are called currents) that gave it just enough of a different taste to complement the other stuff when you got one. I think Dave said he put them in for the salt.

The regular Garlic bread was the best I have had in Thailand every one including my wife enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I love Chinese food. I always order Sesame Chicken. It is super authentic. I believe the Chinese in 890 A.D. started with Sesame Chicken and this was a classic in both urban and rural areas for thousands of years.

Some people eat intestines, stinky tofu, dan dan noodles and pan fried fish with yau tsoi and tung ting shrimp....but this is NOT AUTHENTIC!!!

Sesame Chicken, buffet style!!! what could be more American Chinese??

A quality pizza costs some baht. I try and use my pizza oven every week or so and here's what I've found. Cheese-200B at Rim Ping - this chunk is acceptable quality and I can make 4, 14 inch with this "Dacheeso" brand 1/2 kilo chunk. If it were a bit more salty, it would be perfect. Sausage - I spend about 100B for ground pork, add lots of Italian spices& salt, fresh black pepper - let "age" in the frig for 24 hours/fry and drain. Pepperoni - hit or miss on quality and if I add this it add 80 to 150 B. Black olives - 1 can,pitted is 78 to 100 B. Bell peppers, onions, dried oregano, fresh basil - all add maybe 50 B. Sauce - I'm still trying different brands but surprising to me is the Heinz at 60B isn't bad at all. The dough for me is either the Aussie hard wheat at 50B or the "pizza flour" at Yok for 30B - The hard winter wheat is better texture. So, for about 600 Baht I get 4 high quality pizzas. I enjoy pizza enough to go to all the trouble of building an oven and actually it cooks about anything. I want to try the "Toon Pizza" recommended in this forum but haven't yet.

Thai food is my mainstay, though...aroi.