Water testing

JoeyDaRench

Hello all,

Can someone recommend a water testing business here in Chiang Rai? Someone I can take a sample to that can test it for...well....whatever it is they test it for. I'd also like a company that can inspect a water storage and filtration system. Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks.

Most water testing services provide a summary of mineral content (salt etc) and organic matter which often indicates pollution with fecal matter level.

My suggestion would be to ring the controlling body for the local mains water supply and ask them.

+AjarnP points out an important lesson for newbies. If you are now living in Chiang Rai, or the surrounding area, you will find that you are no longer living in a black and white world of absolutes. Come to terms with that fact and you may yet find peace and happiness in the Rai.

It is also advisable to cultivate knowledgeable Thai contacts in government, education and any field in which you are interested and likely to have frequent questions. Thais are alway your best source of information for Thai question. I suppose other farangs are pretty good with pizza and burger questions.thumbsup.gif

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2

With respect Scea, I'm sure you're only looking at the colour (color for VF lol) of your water which is, in fact, only a view of suspended solids.

Do you filter? and/or use an RO system for drinking water?

I started filtering ours when all the fish in the village reservoir died. I also used to use an RO but changed it for a more efficient Ultra-Violet system for drinking and coffee making.

Many thanks AjarnP.

Just taking it one step further, is there any KIT available so that we can test the water at home, rather than send it off to a Lab?

We are in Chiang Mai and I'd feel much better doing my own testing if it is at all possible.

You should be able to get a Ph testing kit. Is there a swimming pool outfit there or a good aquarium supplier? They should have one.

I found this interesting article:

A good pH level for drinking water should be between six and 8.5. if the pH level is low than this, the water will be acidic and can be corrosive. On the other hand, if the pH is higher than this, the water will have an Alkali taste.

Edited by AjarnP