Low dose Aspirin in Bangkok - found

lothda

Googling for information on where to buy low dose Aspirin in Bangkok yielded just some recommendations for pharmacies and not much about details. I bought it today at

โอสถศาลา (Osot Sala)
Community Pharmacy
22 Phayathai Rd. (at Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science)
Pathum Wan, Bangkok 10330
Tel. 02 218 8428

The product is Aspirin Tablets Pink, manufacturer: The British Dispensary. Available in a pack of 1,000 (325 Baht) or as many strips of 20 as you need (10 strips for 65 Baht, single strip for 7 Baht). One caveat: the expiry date for the pack I was shown was June 2015, so it's important to check for that.

The pharmacy also carries the identical Aspent-M 81 in bottles of 60 (30 Baht). Larger sizes are not available.

If buying a larger quantity you will be required to write down your name and address as there is a restriction on this particular type of product.

post-44127-0-33659000-1398679674_thumb.j post-44127-0-82266600-1398679730_thumb.j

Edited by lothda

I'm able to get Aspent-M, 81 mg coated tablets in bottles of 1000 at Peera Pharmacy in Chiang Mai. It's in the Old City, near Thapae Gate, across from Hotel M. The price sticker is 385 baht, but they give discounts to locals. Hadn't thought to check the expiration date -- good idea. My bottle is Nov 2014, which should be OK with two of us consuming daily.

I'm able to get Aspent-M, 81 mg coated tablets in bottles of 1000 at Peera Pharmacy in Chiang Mai. It's in the Old City, near Thapae Gate, across from Hotel M. The price sticker is 385 baht, but they give discounts to locals. Hadn't thought to check the expiration date -- good idea. My bottle is Nov 2014, which should be OK with two of us consuming daily.

Aspirin shouldn't be a problem if a bit expired.....I wouldn't try it 10 years after expiration but a year shouldn't be a problem

Actually tests show most medications are effective long after expiration dates as reported here:

Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update1103a.shtml

Aspirin shouldn't be a problem if a bit expired.....I wouldn't try it 10 years after expiration but a year shouldn't be a problem

I keep my 81 mg Aspirin, in the fridge.... (easy to find on Samui BTW..... I am surprised hard to find .... else where!...).

When aspirin goes off it has a vinegary smell.... which happens long after the expiry date....

Actually most medications say to keep in cool dry place...(under 30c) . in this climate, over most of Thailand the fridge is probably the best place!

Edited by samuijimmy

Actually tests show most medications are effective long after expiration dates as reported here:

Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date.

You do however have to factor in storage temperatures. In this climate unless continously kept in a/c place ior fridge, I would hesitate to go much beyond expiry date.

Also need to be aware that while most medications will simply become less effective/ineffective once too old, there are a few which become dangerously toxic. Particularly those in the tetracycline group. Can cause fatal depression of the bone marrow. I lost a Cambodian colleague to that some years back. So never take chances with that group of drugs .

You do however have to factor in storage temperatures. In this climate unless continously kept in a/c place ior fridge, I would hesitate to go much beyond expiry date.

Also need to be aware that while most medications will simply become less effective/ineffective once too old, there are a few which become dangerously toxic. Particularly those in the tetracycline group. Can cause fatal depression of the bone marrow. I lost a Cambodian colleague to that some years back. So never take chances with that group of drugs .

And additional problem is moisture. I have migraine tablets (forgot the name, I posted about them before), even they are in blister sealed they get so soft that they can easily squeezed with 2 fingers......they get wet inside the plastic.

Back in Austria some time ago they collected expired medications and sent them to Africa.....Not sure if that project is still active.