An Extension to Stay for Self & Dependent Wife

As per advice on the forum, my Brit wife and I know that we can move from existing tourist visas to non-immigrant O visas in Laos (for reasons of retirement application being therafter made), before coming back to apply at Chiang Mai Immigration in due course for the annual extension to stay, with my wife applying as the "dependent".

The advantage is that we only need one 800k baht bank balance by applying as a married couple and one being dependent.

I also undertand there is simply a policy blocker at Chiang Mai Immigration (for some reason) in allowing a conversion from non-imm O to annual extension for the dependent wife, which presumably is why Laos is recommended being nearest and easiest.

Would there be any problem in getting the dependent application approval if the non-imm O visas were to have been granted in the UK as opposed to Laos? Thanks.

UK Thai embassy will only issue an O-A visa for the purpose of retirement, that was the only choice given to my wife and I when we applied in Nov last year,

If you are over 65 then you can get an O visa and then extend in Thailand. Hope this is some help and good luck ,you won't regret coming to live here.

If you can afford it both get an O A visa, because if the "main" visa holder were to pass away , the remaining dependant could have a lot of hassle.

About the only choice for many is to get a tourist visa before departing. Then one of the spouses can do a change of visa status to get their extension at immigration and then go out for the other to get a non-o from one of the nearby embassies or consulates. Because immigration will not do the change for a dependent extension.

If both are over 50 they can go Laos and apply for a non-o and then get their extensions at the same time.

A OA visa is not a good choice for a couple unless both can qualify for it. The embassy will issue a multiple entry non-o for the other spouse if only one gets the OA visa.The spouse with the non-o will have to make border runs every 90 days because immigration will not do a dependent extension for a OA visa entry.

• Like 1