Bun Bang Fai Rocket Festival 2014 in Yasothon

whooshbang

Hi All,

Heading up to this on the 8th May and stopping for a long weekend in Yasothon. Anyone here been to Bang Fai Rocket Festival before? Or anyone going up this year?

Its my first time to this event and any advice or tips (apart from the obvious "stand well back") would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

I have been to a few up in the Udon Thani Nong Khai area. Lots of drinking. Lots of drunken Thai men. Expect fighting later in the day.

Very dangerous, as there appears to be no safety rules at all. I have seen rockets blow up on ignition and others shoot off across the ground.

My suggestion... stand very near a big tree. One you can hide behind if need be.

Otherwise, enjoy and use lots of common sense. Oh, bring your camera. w00t.gif

We have one in Phu Toei every year. Its a weekend of mayhem but can be fun, floats, dancing girls, beer tents, gambling and the odd punch up. They seem to attract the top bands too, Sek Loso came 2 years back.

The rockets get bigger every year, stand well back.

post-44176-0-66516700-1398751791_thumb.j

wow, sounds quite scary. thanks for the advice. i'll be sure not to stay out for fight night.

does it attract many foreign tourist? or can i expect to be one of only a few farang in the village?

cheers

dave

Very few when I was there.

And I was not kidding about the big tree. w00t.gif

Have been to a couple in my village near Khon Kaen. Pretty amazing sight but also potentially dangerous although I have to say that in my little village it was pretty well handled. Maybe it is better in the smaller villages. Expect a lot of drunk Thais and stay off the roads.

I'm going to this for the first time also. Will get there sometime tomorrow and staying 2 nights.

Nice. Got here yesterday but was too tired to go out after 11 hours on the bus with no sleep. Been out today though and i have to say it is pretty crazy. Huge sound systems line the streets and it's already quite hectic. Tonight kicks of with dance competitions, singing competitions and a beauty pageant. All the sound systems will blast it out tonight and pack up tomorrow so i'm told.

I picked up a program of events but it was in Thai, managed to get a lady in the coffee shop to translate it for me so i kinda got a plan now..... I am just about getting along with my pigeon thai but enjoying the challenge all the same. So far in 2 days i have spotted only 2 other farang (that i'd dare not approach).

So - trying not come across as a complete stalker - if you fancy a beer? giz a shout.

By the way tomorrow at 0800hrs is the opening ceremony with a procession of floats and lots of parading and from 0800hrs on Sunday is the launching of rockets.

Cheers

Dave

WHere did you stay, idea's for reasonable hotel preferably with swim pool in yasathon.

regards S.S.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I stayed in JP Emerald, no pool but i liked it there. Not far from the action at all for the first 2 days of street festivities. You will need a taxi to the park for launch day though as its around 3km. I put a full review for this hotel on trip advisor (yet to be published by TA).

There's another hotel with good reviews called Green Park that has a big swimming pool but it was full.

Book well in advance is my advice.

Good Luck