Lime prices soar nationwide following shortage: Thailand

webfact

Lime prices soar nationwide following shortage

PNECO570428001000701_28042014_023051.jpg

BANGKOK, 29 April 2014 (NNT) - Distressed vendors are starting to feel the pinch as lime prices have increased drastically nationwide due to hot weather and the ongoing drought situation.

The ongoing drought crisis has caused lime trees to yield lower fruits, aggravating the economic injury as the weakening economy has also driven the prices of consumer products upwards. Many vendors have difficulty coping with this situation, especially those in Betong Subdistrict, Yala Province, who claim that a single whole lime costs around 14 to 16 baht. Therefore, they have requested the government to come up with measures to alleviate their plight.

Elsewhere in Si Racha District, Chonburi Province, a vendor said a sack containing around 300 jumbo-sized key limes can be expected to cost around 2,000 baht and the price of a single fruit can reach up to 13 baht. Consumers still have a high demand for lime, yet the supplies are not enough to meet their needs.

Reports also said there have been investigations on lime prices across markets nationwide. On average, one whole lime can range between 10 to 12 baht. A sack containing 140 limes can cost up to 2,100 baht, which is more than double the prices in March. Limes of a smaller kind in Ayutthaya Province are priced around 7 to 8 baht each, and a large lime can cost around 15 baht.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-29 footer_n.gif

Many vendors have difficulty coping with this situation, especially those in Betong Subdistrict, Yala Province, who claim that a single whole lime costs around 14 to 16 baht. Therefore, they have requested the government to come up with measures to alleviate their plight.

The sooner that farmers realize, that the government is not their sugar daddy who can make all things better, the sooner they can begin to prosper. It's called individual responsibility.

5202991675_2d8495ecc1_z.jpg

• Like 2

I have dozens of pomelo and grapefruit trees, but until they're ready to bear (in about 6 weeks, thanks), I buy limes. Yes, they are going up in price. As a trade-off, the hill tribe lady I buy limes from, is really cute.

I need to plant some more lime trees. The 3 I have now, are in crappy soil.

That's probably more info than you care to hear, sorry.

Incidentally, why are there no grapefruit trees in Thailand, except at my 2 properties in Chiang Rai?

I think the answer is: Thais like everything either very sweet or very 'pet' (spicy) or bland (rice). Grapefruit are somewhere between, so are considered too preeo (sour) for the Thai palate. Actually, the real reason is; Thais who haven't traveled overseas, have never tasted grapefruit.

Similarly, all but a few Thais don't like avocado, but that's because they think they're too strange tasting. Burmese like 'em though.

• Like 1

I have dozens of pomelo and grapefruit trees, but until they're ready to bear (in about 6 weeks, thanks), I buy limes. Yes, they are going up in price. As a trade-off, the hill tribe lady I buy limes from, is really cute.

I need to plant some more lime trees. The 3 I have now, are in crappy soil.

That's probably more info than you care to hear, sorry.

Incidentally, why are there no grapefruit trees in Thailand, except at my 2 properties in Chiang Rai?

I think the answer is: Thais like everything either very sweet or very 'pet' (spicy) or bland (rice). Grapefruit are somewhere between, so are considered too preeo (sour) for the Thai palate. Actually, the real reason is; Thais who haven't traveled overseas, have never tasted grapefruit.

Similarly, all but a few Thais don't like avocado, but that's because they think they're too strange tasting. Burmese like 'em though.

Your post was fine, and not more than I care to hear.

Forgot the name of the grapefruit type--looks the same but very large but same family---usually sold in a plastic tray for about 30 baht.

Wish I had a plantation of Durian, years ago you got it on a tray for 25 baht about 3 good sized pieces now in Tesco and the like 230 baht. unbelievable.

Get your compost heap piled up, it soon rots down and spread that around you limes.thumbsup.gif

and make excellent avocado juice/drinks :-)

thing is, most common thai AIN'T open (receptive) for new tastes/experiences unless it's masshyped/marketed. then they all jump on the bandwagon.

Found limes this morning in the market for 13 baht each. And expected to go higher, says the sales lady.

Got 10 small trees from a garden center last year 1 meter high, that had limes on the plant. Now they are in white blossom so I am happy I bought them.

Apart from the fruit the crushed leaves sap is anti mozzy.

The trees were only 70 baht each to buy. These shortages ??? I wonder if there are or is it a nice money spinner for someone.

You should be in the investment business. The future's not orange... it's lime.

We have several trees too. Maybe we're both sitting on a lime mine? thumbsup.gif

I know this is hardly possible, but in some cases FARMERS plant Limes---Durian--- some could, a bit easier than rice and 7 years wait for rubber.

Depends on your climate/area

I have lime juice --cut your limes into pieces, add sugar to taste, pour on boiling water and cover /leave till cool sieve and bottle.

The leaves crushed the sap extracted and mixed with lotion from Boots, skintoner/mozzie repellant.

If you have a bad cold, before bed squeezed limes add sugar pour on hot water, 1 para, drink hot wrap up and bed--you will sweat like hell but will rid of your fever.

Next cookery lesson tomorrowcheesy.gif ginjag.

I see to remember from my extreme youth that lime went very well with lager too. smile.png

Never see that any more.

• Like 1

Lime juice is now more expensive than beer? My several times?

Save limes, drink more beer!

I'll have to wean the missus of the margaritas!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It might be just like the rubber trees, now a lot of farmers invest in lime trees, and in about 3-4 years there are so many limes on the market that it is not worth it anymore.

Change back.?giggle.gif

This was a topic 2 years ago and the rubber was at a crisis and a poster said, change the rubber trees and grow rice, (took him 7 years for the rubber to get to money in)

imagine chopping your rubber down to grow rice.

If you change it has to be annual type crops sago---rice--to trees but not from trees to land.

The best product to sell is greeting cards, even make them and sell. never a slack time.

Lime juice is now more expensive than beer? My several times?

Save limes, drink more beer!

I'll have to wean the missus of the margaritas!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Get her on Chang soda be brave.cheesy.gif

You should be in the investment business. The future's not orange... it's lime.

We have several trees too. Maybe we're both sitting on a lime mine? thumbsup.gif

I know this is hardly possible, but in some cases FARMERS plant Limes---Durian--- some could, a bit easier than rice and 7 years wait for rubber.

Depends on your climate/area

I have lime juice --cut your limes into pieces, add sugar to taste, pour on boiling water and cover /leave till cool sieve and bottle.

The leaves crushed the sap extracted and mixed with lotion from Boots, skintoner/mozzie repellant.

If you have a bad cold, before bed squeezed limes add sugar pour on hot water, 1 para, drink hot wrap up and bed--you will sweat like hell but will rid of your fever.

Next cookery lesson tomorrowcheesy.gif ginjag.

I see to remember from my extreme youth that lime went very well with lager too. smile.png

Never see that any more.

Hey going back in a time warp, Carlsberg and Roses lime juice, them nights were the days.

Sprite and a squeeze of lime --not bad.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

so why don't farmers follow market trends and grow more limes and less rice?

maybe make more money by growing crops that are higher in value...

my lime tree at home is a lot barer of fruit compared to normal... but doesn't this always happen in the dry season?

meanwhile by me millions of mangos rot on the floor as the price has collapsed.

Get as many as you can, boil with sugar until sticky enough and pour into hot jars, leave to cool. a sprinkle of sugar on the top lid on tight. Mango jam will last for yonks.-same any fruit---half fruit half sugar boil.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Found limes this morning in the market for 13 baht each. And expected to go higher, says the sales lady.

Got 10 small trees from a garden center last year 1 meter high, that had limes on the plant. Now they are in white blossom so I am happy I bought them.

Apart from the fruit the crushed leaves sap is anti mozzy.

The trees were only 70 baht each to buy. These shortages ??? I wonder if there are or is it a nice money spinner for someone.

Good luck thumbsup.gif The reason those small trees have limes on them is that they are over fed fertilizer in the garden center, so that they start to fruit. Then when people walk round they see tiny immature trees with fruit on and think 'how cool' and buy them. Once planted they will take many years to grow and are unlikely to produce fruit again under normal conditions for some time.

I drink lots of fresh squeezed lime with soda water every day (no added sugar!) and the price for limes has rocketed it was 120 baht per kilo today, that is more than a third of the minimum wage for a kilo of limes. Who would have thought ...a shortage of limes in Thailand...then again who would have thought Thailand not in premier position in the world rice market :(

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

so why don't farmers follow market trends and grow more limes and less rice?

maybe make more money by growing crops that are higher in value...

my lime tree at home is a lot barer of fruit compared to normal... but doesn't this always happen in the dry season?

Because by the time you see a market trend it is too late to follow it in this kind of situation. No body predicted the drought and there is no effective water management plan. If farmers plant loads of lime trees then in a few years when they are ready to bear fruit, if there is no drought, we will have a surfeit of limes selling at 5 baht a kilo. Next year if there is no major drought the markets stalls will be collapsing under the weight of limes.

Maybe the problem is bigger anyway. I noticed in our garden with good soil and the like. The trees had an abundance of flowers but not that much fruit has come out. I have noticed a lack of crawly things. Very few bees, very few ants running up and down the trees. Maybe there are diminishing populations of things to pollinate the flowers on the trees. No pollination, no fruit. Just a thought for those interested or who may have noticed similar. Time for a bee hive in the garden maybe.