Health Insurance recommendations

mja1906

Hi can anyone recommend a good health insurance company? with preferably an English speaking broker. I've heard AIA are good. I'm looking for basic coverage which doesn't have too many of the clauses, and will just pay out if needed. I did enquire once with a local AIA broker, but their programs are tied with life insurance which I don't necessarily need, as I don't have any dependents. Am 30+yrs and in good health. Thanks.

I use Bupa Thailand as well . I have the Emerald plan . Checked around and like you the life insurance attached to these policies made them very un attractive . The agent I used is out of the office near Lana Hospital email is Rujira Jidpayuck <removed> was very good to deal with . I never spoke to them all was done via email and I was very pleased with the service .... They will also allow you to pay monthly which most other companies will not .... Hope this helps

Edited by onthedarkside
email removed as per forum rules

I use Bupa Thailand as well . I have the Emerald plan . Checked around and like you the life insurance attached to these policies made them very un attractive . The agent I used is out of the office near Lana Hospital email is Rujira Jidpayuck [email protected] was very good to deal with . I never spoke to them all was done via email and I was very pleased with the service .... They will also allow you to pay monthly which most other companies will not .... Hope this helps

Thanks so much. It's very useful, I will drop her an email now

Your citizenship will play into it. I use www.hcc.com, and my agent is in Indianapolis, and there is a number I can call collect, and I get 1 million usd coverage for less than what a local quoted me for 500K. And they do direct billing with RAM and Bumrungrad....amongst many others. If you are covered for free in your home country, then you might want to look at Allianz....it is a lot cheaper, but geared towards getting you home.

I also use Richard and Chiang Mai Insurance and despite all the recent "distractions" Richard has continued to do a splendid job with the insurance side of his business. There never were was any hint of wrong-doing with insurance and, indeed, I know of numerous occasions where he and his associates went to bat for his clients to make sure their claims were honored by overseas health insurance companies. One such case involved my husband years ago, before we were so very involved in the CM community and they stood nothing to gain by assisting us -- aside from doing right for a customer.

I know this thread is probably going to "go south" and will now turn into a slag-a-thon against Richard and his former business associates, (probably me and CEC for good measure) but I just couldn't remain silent and let Chiang Mai Insurance be pulled into the muck-and-mire when they've done so much good for so many in Chiang Mai.

Edited by NancyL

Thanks for the other side of the story Nancy. I'll check out all options. On a side note, is it clear or not, whether having a yellow book does indeed entitle you to government hospital care here?

Thanks for the other side of the story Nancy. I'll check out all options. On a side note, is it clear or not, whether having a yellow book does indeed entitle you to government hospital care here?

No, having a yellow book does not entitle you to care at a gov't hospital here. There have been situations here foreigners who were listed on a yellow book have been able to receive care at small local hospitals, in error, but when it was necessary to receive referral to higher level gov't hospitals, they discovered that they'd been receiving care in error.

You may wish to read about the short-lived program where foreigners were able to enroll in the 30-baht Universal Health Care program here: http://www.lannacarenet.org/foreigner-health-insurance-program-moph-directive/

Some foreigners may receive gov't health care if they or their immediate family members are government employees, but this is the not same as receiving care because they're listed on a yellow house book.

Note, too, that the cost of care at local gov't hospitals is so inexpensive, even when paying out of pocket, that some foreigners think they are getting the gov't rate even when they are not for inexpensive procedures, consultations and drugs. That is the care is so cheap for minor procedures that foreigners think they don't need health insurance until something major comes along and then they discover just how expensive medical care can be for the uninsured.

You're smart to obtain private health insurance cover here. Best to purchase a policy when you're healthy and maintain it so you're past the period of exclusion for pre-existing conditions as you age.

Edited by NancyL

Unfortunately at the moment it doesn't .....