Samak's wife, Pracha ordered by court to pay Bt587 million to BMA

webfact

Samak's wife, Pracha ordered by court to pay Bt587 million to BMA
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Central Administrative Court Wednesday ordered the wife of late former prime minister Samak Sundaravej and former deputy interior minister Pracha Maleenont to pay Bt587 million each to the city administration over the controversial Bt6.6 billion fire vehicles project.

The court ordered Khunying Surat Sundaravej, who is Samak's heir, and Pracha to each pay 30 per cent of the Bt1.958 billion the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration had already paid to Austria’s Steyr Daimler Puch Spezialfahrzeug for the purchase of the fire vehicle.

The two were also ordered to pay 7.5 per-cent interest retroactive to 2004 when the BMA paid the money to the Austrian firm.

The purchase was suspended after it was found that fire vehicles were defective and their prices has been highly inflated.

Surat and Pracha could still appeal against the court's ruling with the Supreme Administrative Court.

Earlier, the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions found Pracha Maleenont and former senior BMA official Athilak Tanchookiat, then director of the BMA Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, guilty of rigging bids in the fire vehicles case. Athilak was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

The purchase deal was inked when Samak was BMA governor but the Supreme Court dropped charges against Samak, saying it would not pursue them after his death.

The Supreme Court last year found that Pracha and Athilak pushed for the purchase of 315 fire trucks and 30 fire-fighting boats without comparing prices, which allowed the Austrian company to sell the vehicles at a price that was nearly 49 per cent higher than they would have been if bought locally.

The Central Administrative Court Wednesday ruled that Samak and Athilak collaborated to rush the contract through before Samak completed his term. The contract was signed despite not having been scrutinised by the Office of the Attorney General, which is normal practice in purchases of this kind/

Pracha was ordered to pay the compensation in his capacity as the supervisor of the BMA at that time.

Pracha fled the country before the Supreme Court made a ruling in the case.

The Central Administrative Court also ruled Wednesday in favour of former commerce minister Watana Muangsook, freeing him from the obligation to pay damages to the BMA over the fire vehicles deal.

The court ruled that Watana had nothing to do with the order to have the BMA urgently sign the purchase contract with the Austrian firm.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-30

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a known fact that things that go around, tend to come around...usually tenfold. So all of those that were involved are going to get it anyway one way or another and what was taken will be taken.

So what was the point of doing it in the first place?

If I could stop laughing at idiots like these, I would be a serious man.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Half a billion baht.

She'll pay for it out of the Samak Petty Cash Fund. ermm.gif

Good to see the recoupment of some of his ill-gotten Thaksin Proxy gains.

thumbsup.gif

Presumably, his estate was sued - he being dead. If the administration of his estate had already been completed, what liability should any beneficiary have who was not party to the purchase of these vehicles? Answer: none. If the estate is still being administered, it is the estate, in the form of trustees or ececutors, who would have this liability but only to the extent of the remaining value in the estate.

Another piece of poor journalism that leaves more questions than it answers.

• Like 1

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpp!!!!

Thailand really is becoming a laughing stock on a par with North korea..................

Well, I suppose it's progress, in the sense that at least its in the open what has been happening for decades, and now "SOME" cases are being prosecuted.

The red supporters are just going to love this one, can't wait for the spin to begin.

The only ones who will love this story, are the ones against corruption, whether red or yellow. However your comments are typical of a yellow blinkered farang

Very true Bernie,you one hit wonder.What's happening with the Thai aircraft carrier flying Harrier jump jets ( British ).The Swiss 40 year old Swiss personnel carriers.Not to mention the possible purchase of German U boats.Do yourself a favour,keep up with the game.You are fair game.

• Like 1

The red supporters are just going to love this one, can't wait for the spin to begin.

They claim that Apirak was responsible for the whole thing, even though he only took office as BMA governor after Samak had done the dirty deal.

• Like 1

The only ones who will love this story, are the ones against corruption, whether red or yellow. However your comments are typical of a yellow blinkered farang

again whats with the yellow comment ....keep up..

• Like 2

It's a known fact that things that go around, tend to come around...usually tenfold. So all of those that were involved are going to get it anyway one way or another and what was taken will be taken.

So what was the point of doing it in the first place?

If I could stop laughing at idiots like these, I would be a serious man.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Disagree Thaksin can only die once not a thousand of times.

Just my opinion but it would be nice if he felt like he was dying a thousand times.

• Like 1

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpp!!!!

Thailand really is becoming a laughing stock on a par with North korea..................

Well, I suppose it's progress, in the sense that at least its in the open what has been happening for decades, and now "SOME" cases are being prosecuted.

Going to be some maids and other servants running for cover if they continue to go after the criminals from the past.

• Like 2

Court orders ex-PM Samak's inheritors, ex-deputy interior minister Pracha to compensate BMA
By Digital Content

13988520663188.png

BANGKOK, April 30 -- The Central Administrative Court on Wednesday ordered beneficiaries of the estate of the late former prime minister Samak Sundaravej and former deputy interior minister Pracha Maleenont to pay compensation to Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) for fire engines and boats procured as a City Hall project.

The Court ordered Mr Samak's inheritors--his widow, Mrs Surat and daughters Kanchanakorn Chaiyalap and Kandapha Mungthin to jointly pay Bt587 million compensation to the BMA.

The amount was 30 per cent of the Bt1.958 billion the BMA had already paid to Austria’s Steyr Daimler Puch Spezialfahrzeug for the purchase of the fire engines and boats.

They were also ordered to pay 7.5 per-cent interest retroactive to 2004 when the BMA paid the money to the Austrian company.

Mr Samak, then Bangkok governor was accused of malfeasance regarding the fire truck and boat procurement project which cost nearly Bt6.7 billion.

The purchase was later suspended after it was found that the fire vehicles were defective and their prices had been too high.

The Court ordered Mr Pracha to compensate the BMA in the same amount due to his role as deputy interior minister who supervised the BMA at that time.

The compensation must be paid within 60 days of the court verdict.

However, they could still appeal the court's ruling with the Supreme Administrative Court within 30 days.

The case involves the purchase of 315 firefighting trucks and 30 boats at what is alleged to have been inflated prices. Mr Samak was governor at the time of the purchase, but died in 2009. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-04-30

• Like 1