Scorpions drummer in Dubai jail for 'insulting Islam': reports

webfact

I stopped transiting through Dubai years ago and only fly directly to LOS now. All those incidents were documented by a UK newspaper, the Torygraph if memory serves...

The one consolidating factor was the spinelessness of the UK authorities in helping their citizens. Why go where you can be locked up on a whim? if you aren't there they can't mess with you.

If it were a non islamic country with the same attitude I wouldn't go there either. Must be getting old cos when young I routinely went to reel scary places just because.

One was even murdered by Dubai police and as usual the foreign office did squat all.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/04/14/uae.british.death/

Allegedly.

There is more detail from other news sources. The dead man Lee Bradley Brown was arrested for swearing, badly beaten up by the police and bundled into a body bag, witnessed by other inmates in the police cells.

Bur Dubai police station is a notoriously violent place where beatings, starvation, rape and the force-feeding of drugs is commonplace

Foreign prisoners are often kept in cramped cells with up to 20 inmates for weeks for trivial offences.

Human rights charities say police officers regularly refuse to allow inmates to make a phone call or access to a lawyer.

They say prisoners are sometimes beaten and coerced into signing confessions written in Arabic.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1376649/British-tourist-Lee-Bradley-Brown-beaten-death-Dubai-police-cell.html#ixzz30jPfwJZW

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is more detail from other news sources. The dead man Lee Bradley Brown was arrested for swearing, badly beaten up by the police and bundled into a body bag, witnessed by other inmates in the police cells.

There is more crap as well. The coroner recorded an open verdict. The doctor hired by the family determined that he did not die as a result of blunt force trauma.

He was arrested for beating up a Nepalese maid and trying to throw her off a hotel balcony, and had to be restrained by hotel employees before the police arrived.

None of that made its way into the Daily Racist Email, which simply contended that he was "arrested for swearing".

The rubbish about the cells covered in faeces comes from some bird whose mate had a hard time in nick; none of the embassy or consular staff that visit this prison (and there are many, it's smack in the middle of the red light district) corroborated her somewhat dramatic story.

Not that I'm disputing that the police gave him a kicking, if you punch a policeman in Thailand while they are arresting you, do you think they are going to ask you nicely to calm down?

Oh, and the Daily Mail described him as a simple man of modest means - staying in a 1000 quid a night suite at the Burj Dubai?

I dun fink so.

So I wouldn't take the story on face value. Then again, I wouldn't call the Daily Mail a "News" paper either.

• Like 1

And the case of Professor Cyril Karabus, 78 year old oncologist, really takes the cake.

Forget the fact that he skipped the UAE when the original offence happened and steered clear of the place for years.

He obviously thought they'd forgotten about it.

Still, having seen him "work", I'm quite glad he won't be returning to the Gulf anytime soon. He won't be missed.

Skipped? Offense? What are you talking about?

He is a cancer doc that treated a 3 year old terminal leukemia patient while on a 6 week trip to UAE. He left because he was only there for 6 weeks and was supposed to leave. The 3 year old died from her leukemia. They tried him in abstantia without his knowledge . . .

You seen him work where? In South Africa? Hanging out at the South African Red Cross were you?

This guy pioneered cancer and rare blood disorder treatments. He worked at a Red Cross in South Africa and devoted his life to helping poor black children with cancer and rare blood disorders.

The fact that he was Jewish perhaps played a big role . . .

This wasn't his last locum in the Gulf, just in the UAE....

Making stuff up again? Show me one source that he worked in any other Gulf region hospitals after that 2002 incident where he had just filled in for a doctor on a 5 or 6 week leave. What gulf hospital did he work at where you became aware of his "work."

He was retired. The book "Blood Money" indicated this was a one off covering for someone needing time off.

• Like 2